Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2019, 07:31 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Do you have this bus? Dimensions.

As a newbie, like others, I'm learning that it's very hard to find schematics or "blueprints" of the specific bus I want to buy. I just spent the last 3 hours searching online and while I found a lot of dimensions, I couldn't find dimensions for the bus I want to buy.

What I've gathered from you all is my best bet is to ask whether anyone on here has the bus I want to buy, and ask if they can give me measurements.

I'm looking for dimensions for a 35 or 36-foot RE bus (29-30 feet of space behind driver). Do you have a bus like this? If so, here are some general measurements I'm looking for:

-Dimensions of the engine cover/seat in the back. How tall is the engine cover? How deep? How tall is the seat? How deep?

-How many feet from the back (or from the engine cover/seat) do the back wheel wells start? How long, wide and tall (at the tallest point) are the wells?

-Same for the front wheel wells. How many feet from the front of the bus do they start?

I know plans will change once I get an actual bus, but I want to generally determine whether this size and frame layout will work for what I want to do with the space. Knowing these dimensions will help me get started.

Thank you!!!

MollyCMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:58 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyCMo View Post
As a newbie, like others, I'm learning that it's very hard to find schematics or "blueprints" of the specific bus I want to buy. I just spent the last 3 hours searching online and while I found a lot of dimensions, I couldn't find dimensions for the bus I want to buy.

What I've gathered from you all is my best bet is to ask whether anyone on here has the bus I want to buy, and ask if they can give me measurements.

I'm looking for dimensions for a 35 or 36-foot RE bus (29-30 feet of space behind driver). Do you have a bus like this? If so, here are some general measurements I'm looking for:

-Dimensions of the engine cover/seat in the back. How tall is the engine cover? How deep? How tall is the seat? How deep?

-How many feet from the back (or from the engine cover/seat) do the back wheel wells start? How long, wide and tall (at the tallest point) are the wells?

-Same for the front wheel wells. How many feet from the front of the bus do they start?

I know plans will change once I get an actual bus, but I want to generally determine whether this size and frame layout will work for what I want to do with the space. Knowing these dimensions will help me get started.

Thank you!!!
What make and model? They vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. I have a 06 Blue Bird AARE3 and I know the engine cover in the rear is about 28" after I stripped the seats off. I don't know off hand the rest of what you are looking for...
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:00 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I would sit down and draw up a scale diagram including all the amenities you plan on. This will get close to available floor space. Then you decide whether you want a front engine or a rear engine. Conventional dog, or Flat front. Mine is a Flat front, front engine and there is 32' of build able area behind the drivers seat. An equal length dog nose will have a few feet less. How do you plan on using the bus? It'll help decide what drivetrain you will need, some are better than others. Wheel well location will vary on each model.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:37 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
What make and model? They vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. I have a 06 Blue Bird AARE3 and I know the engine cover in the rear is about 28" after I stripped the seats off. I don't know off hand the rest of what you are looking for...
Thanks! I'm not sure what make and model, I'm still looking, but I'm hoping for a Thomas RE. The initial measurement you gave me is better than nothing though, so that helps!
Old 01-27-2019, 08:46 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I would sit down and draw up a scale diagram including all the amenities you plan on. This will get close to available floor space. Then you decide whether you want a front engine or a rear engine. Conventional dog, or Flat front. Mine is a Flat front, front engine and there is 32' of build able area behind the drivers seat. An equal length dog nose will have a few feet less. How do you plan on using the bus? It'll help decide what drivetrain you will need, some are better than others. Wheel well location will vary on each model.
Thanks! I've already mocked up several extremely detailed floorplans (including space for framing, plumbing, etc.) I've put a lot of thought into how I want to use the space/the lifestyle I want to have on the road. I know the details will ultimately change but I have some spare time and I really enjoy doing it (I have an architecture/engineering background).

And while the floorplan is important to me, it's more important to me to have a bus that drives and performs a certain way. From my research I've determined I'd like a flatnose RE for the performance features. Now I want to confirm that 30 feet of usable space will work for me in this type of bus. If it doesn't, I will likely just look for a longer bus, not a different engine style.