Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2007, 01:07 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 3800
Rated Cap: 36
Does anyone have a flasher schematic?

Anyone know how the flashers work? All my reds work fine but the yellow does not flash or light up at all. What are the components that make up the flasher system? I know everybody gets rid of theirs, but I'm not until I'm forced to.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: Does anyone have a flasher schematic?

my buses worked like this

when you activate the overhead lights and the door is closed the yellows come on until you open the door. Opening the door turns off the yellows and turns on the reds. Perhaps your problem is in the switch for the door, which is most likely located at the handle you use to pull the door closed (assuming you have a manual door) May also be the same switch that turns on the white light for your stairwell. (it's probably a double pole single throw switch)
Old 11-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #3
Skoolie

Thanks for replying...You have bad-ass busses!! Mine is a 1996 intl./Amtran. The door is manual, but the stair light works fine. I have a dual switch that is half white and half black split vertically. The black side works, the white side also makes the clicking sound, but no lights. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
Skoolie

That's a great idea. I never thought to LOOK and see if they were working. I would sit in the driver's seat, not look a the mirrors,and try to sense if the yellows were working. My ESP has told me that there was a problem. I felt that if I LOOKED at the lights, they would not flash for me.......OF COURSE I LOOKED! Just kidding man. I need some electrical ideas.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:49 AM   #5
Bus Geek

i like your sense of humor! Not enough people have that.

Did you find the unit that makes the flashers work? It's probably inside the giant master switch panel. All 3 buses i worked on the flasher units had each terminal labeled. There has to be a terminal that requires 12v+ to turn on/off the yellows.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:58 PM   #6
Skoolie

Thanks, I found that unit, but i'm not sure if there is a fuse I can replace before I try replacing the flasher. All the bulbs are good, just wondering what the chain is from battery to fuse? to flasher? to lights and where the fuse would be. I'll keep playing with the wires.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:57 AM   #7
Skoolie

I need a wiring diagram for my brain!!!!!!! I'm the first one to give wise cracks and also the first one to admit when I'm a bonehead. I deceided to shut the door and try the switch......nothing. Then I thought about what was suggested about the switch on the lever when it's closed. I pushed the handle in a little when it was in the "locked" position and sure enough, I saw the light (yellow lights that is) for the first time since I have owed the bus over a year now. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but it was real cool to see those flashing yellows for the first time!!! It's the little things.....that's why cats like us own busses....
Old 11-13-2007, 05:38 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14

I can honestly say I never used them on my bus. The only time I ever used them was for a school bus road test and since then I have only done trips except for 3 whole days driving a school route which I didn't need them for as it was a wheelchair bus route that didn't require the use of them.

Even when weather permits use of the strobe on top of the school bus I leave it off cause the light in the dash and the flashing light on the roof is just flat out anoying. A couple months ago we took 2 buses into wisconsin with a bunch of kids and the other driving thought it would be a good idea to turn on the stobe, and me I left it off, and it didn't take her long to shut them off cause it was just anoying her too.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote