Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2018, 01:28 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 78
"Drain Daily" (Air Tanks)

I noticed on a newer Blue Bird school bus driving around the other day the words "Drain Daily" as a sticker on the front.

Recently after doing research on Air Brakes and Semi Trucks I've learned about draining the tanks. There are 4 valves: Primary, Secondary, Wet, Accessory.

We just toss the 4 valves open and release all the air until there's no more hissing, a good little bit of moisture lands on the ground. Seems Good!

Just thought I'd share this as we went months on end without draining our tanks when we first bought our bus. . . Hoping no damage has been done!

From what I hear some busses have automatic drain valves? I have no idea how to check if ours does or doesn't though, I'm just going to assume it doesn't and keep draining after each use!

BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:32 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
I noticed on a newer Blue Bird school bus driving around the other day the words "Drain Daily" as a sticker on the front.

Recently after doing research on Air Brakes and Semi Trucks I've learned about draining the tanks. There are 4 valves: Primary, Secondary, Wet, Accessory.

We just toss the 4 valves open and release all the air until there's no more hissing, a good little bit of moisture lands on the ground. Seems Good!

Just thought I'd share this as we went months on end without draining our tanks when we first bought our bus. . . Hoping no damage has been done!

From what I hear some busses have automatic drain valves? I have no idea how to check if ours does or doesn't though, I'm just going to assume it doesn't and keep draining after each use!
You don't need to empty the tanks.

All you need to do is crack the valve a little. If there is water inside it will be blown out first. It's very easy to see and if done regularly there will almost never be much in there.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:47 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Unless you are using your bus for your daily driver, you won't come anywhere near the kind of brake cycling you'd see on a bus in service, so daily drainage is unlikely to be necessary.
Artor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:26 PM   #4

Year: 2000
Coachwork: International
Engine: DT466E
Can anyone tell me where exactly to locate these tanks and valves on my 2000 international Bluebird 3800?
RedDirtSkoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:30 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
Great overview and details.

https://www.apta.com/wp-content/uplo...leshooting.pdf

Tags
air tank, compressed air, drain, tank, valve