Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2022, 07:11 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 7.3 Turbodiesel Caterpillar, 3126
Post Driver's Window Delete

I'm nearing the end of my roof raise project, just adding the last of the skins this week, and my next project might be adding my RV windows. It occurred to me that I might need to skin over the driver's window section, and add an RV window there. The OG windows seem like a weak point for bus security, and have the same heat loss issues as the other stock windows. It seems that a lot of people keep their original driver's window, and I'm wondering why. Even people who go through all the trouble of taking out every other side window often leave this one. Am I missing something?

Obviously we would want a sliding window for tolls, etc., and can't have it be 100% tinted for legality reasons. If I had half of it tinted, but the section that I look through to see the side mirror untinted, I'd be good, right? Before I rip it out, any other considerations I'm not thinking of?

Old 12-22-2022, 09:42 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
I don't see a lot of discussion on driver's side window treatment.

It would appear there is no reason you can't replace the window with an RV window of similar size. Sliding window, laminated/tempered glass, no deep tint, and it would look the same as any class C RV driver's side window.

Overall you'll still need at least one emergency egress window (for a total of two exits), so don't forget to provide for that elsewhere in the bus. Call me crazy, I kept all five emergency windows in my little shuttle bus, relocating a few where fixtures would have prevented their access.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 10:41 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon Ent Titty View Post
I'm nearing the end of my roof raise project, just adding the last of the skins this week, and my next project might be adding my RV windows. It occurred to me that I might need to skin over the driver's window section, and add an RV window there. The OG windows seem like a weak point for bus security, and have the same heat loss issues as the other stock windows. It seems that a lot of people keep their original driver's window, and I'm wondering why. Even people who go through all the trouble of taking out every other side window often leave this one. Am I missing something?

Obviously we would want a sliding window for tolls, etc., and can't have it be 100% tinted for legality reasons. If I had half of it tinted, but the section that I look through to see the side mirror untinted, I'd be good, right? Before I rip it out, any other considerations I'm not thinking of?
Take a look at post #87 & 96 of my build thread, bus # 9906, and you’ll see what I did to my drivers window.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 02:56 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
Take a look at post #87 & 96 of my build thread, bus # 9906, and you’ll see what I did to my drivers window.
Great thread. Not sure why it didn't come up when I searched the forums.
Any regrets about keeping the OEM or the percent of tint you did? You said limo tint for the back, did you go with 35% on the front side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
Sliding window, laminated/tempered glass, no deep tint, and it would look the same as any class C RV driver's side window.
I've had trouble sourcing RV windows that weren't 20%, which is too much. Ewo's post covers the concern about negative vs positive air pressure and how RV windows only slide on 1 side, which wouldn't allow air to flow in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
a lot of RV windows only slide from one (direction).. only way to get air in a driver window on a bus is to open a bit at front and back of it …

While we're at it, anybody have a decently priced source of RV windows?
I had wanted double pane, so RecPro was off the table. ToughGrade makes em, and of course I could get them custom made (STARTING at $900 ) Then there's always the ol' Ebay which seems like a crap shoot.
Old 12-23-2022, 10:02 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
[QUOTE=Anon Ent Titty;485659]I'm nearing the end of my roof raise project, just adding the last of the skins this week, and my next project might be adding my RV windows. It occurred to me that I might need to skin over the driver's window section, and add an RV window there. The OG windows seem like a weak point for bus security,

ok this is a true story. we left our cat in the bus for a day trip after arriving at our winter hideout. when we got home again she was outside. i found that she had figured out how to open the drivers window that was latched and had a block of wood sitting in the track. so your point of not really being secure is a issue.
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 12:15 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore6856 View Post
ok this is a true story. we left our cat in the bus for a day trip after arriving at our winter hideout. when we got home again she was outside. i found that she had figured out how to open the drivers window that was latched and had a block of wood sitting in the track. so your point of not really being secure is a issue.
"I'm not trapped in here with you - you're trapped in here with me!"
Old 12-23-2022, 05:24 PM   #7
Skoolie

Engine: Cummins 8.3
I was planning on mounting a polycarbonate dome in place of my drivers window. The main reason being, it’s nearly impossible to stick your head put and look out the side of the bus while backing up. A little dome would let my head extend beyond the side of the bus and see what’s going on. And polycarbonate is solid stuff. A thief would break through the windshield before they got in through that window. Just my two cents.
Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 06:30 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffles View Post
I was planning on mounting a polycarbonate dome in place of my drivers window. The main reason being, it’s nearly impossible to stick your head put and look out the side of the bus while backing up. A little dome would let my head extend beyond the side of the bus and see what’s going on. And polycarbonate is solid stuff. A thief would break through the windshield before they got in through that window. Just my two cents.
I think a backup camera would be a lot easier to install and more generally useful.
Old 12-24-2022, 12:15 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I think a backup camera would be a lot easier to install and more generally useful.
yes my wifes short bus now has four cameras.
one left side blind spot
one right side blind spot.
one rear bumper aimed to help her hooking up to her trailer and to keep an eye on the latch.
and one up high on the rear to look out over her trailer.
thinking of making the low rear one extendable to move to the rear of the trailer when she has to back up with the trailer.
she has not had alot of practice backing a trailer yet.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 12:18 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffles View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post

I agree on the camera. An optically clear, ie no distortion, polycarbonate dome large enough to do what you're wanting is going to be very pricey and if you're wanting to use one to look through it'll need to be optically clear.
Veloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 02:16 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore6856 View Post

So much for the fortress of solitude. Were you able to figure out a better aftermarket solution than the wood block?
Anon Ent Titty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 06:01 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
The way I see it I failed once and if I failed again that cat would laugh at me so rather risk that I'll just leave her out whenever she wants
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 05:40 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
https://www.wheelerfleet.com/products/search?keywords=product%20slide%20window%20122761& h=F01C7CE9B3900654940E3DA76DD2D4634AF3D5DDC582

This used to be the go-to replacement drivers window. As you can see, the product number has been changed or discontinued. It’s worth calling the company to find out because the window is aprox 32 x 32”

That’s what I plan to do if I get that far down my list.

☮️ Dave
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver's window, window, window delete, window removal, window tint