Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2020, 05:28 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: INTERNATIONAL
Engine: DT466
DT466 & Allison 2000 series

How is the Allison 2000 series behind at DT466?
& what’s the max you would pay considering price increases these days
They’re asking 7.5k

CattyMoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:35 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
2000 is good. I prefer the MD3060 but you don't see them behind DT466 much. 7500 may be excessive, more info / pics would be helpful.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:39 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: INTERNATIONAL
Engine: DT466
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
2000 is good. I prefer the MD3060 but you don't see them behind DT466 much. 7500 may be excessive, more info / pics would be helpful.
I just asked for pictures of this specific bus, they’re selling quite a few busses & the post contained 1 picture of each heres the link
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5625470786945/
CattyMoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:08 PM   #4
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Engine hours? Average mph can tell you a lot.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:17 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
A nice paint job like that for a grand is not bad, but you can tell they make their money by doing a minimum amount of masking work, and I would guess they also make their money by doing a minimum amount of prep - like cleaning and scuffing. Probably have some peeling in short order, but pretty out the door.

The linked bus is nice. Looks like minimal rust. DT466e is a good engine and the 2000-series transmissions are good, too (I have both in my bus). If you're going to go check it out, buy a Bluefire first - this is a gadget that lets you connect a tablet or smartphone to the engine and read the dashboard data and a whole lot more, like the engine's true mileage etc. A Bluefire is a great investment just for bus shopping, and you can eventually use it in your actual bus to give you a digital dashboard (and you may get a shocker like I did when I found out my transmission temperature gauge on the dashboard was completely inoperative, not good).

$7.5K seems like a lot but I guess that's the deal these days. My bus cost half that - but then I spent more than a year repairing and rebuilding rust damage. The fact that it's actually like $7,499 or whatever suggests there's wiggle room on the price. The seller got it for a lot less than that.

Edit: if you can, find out what the bus' rear gear ratio is, since that will determine how fast you can go on the highway. My bus has an atrocious 6.17, so the bus maxes out at 63 mph and is really limited to 55 mph on the highway to keep the RPMs around 1800. Good ratios are in the low 4s.