Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2023, 02:50 PM   #1

DT466 heater loop

Hi, all.
I wasn’t planning to remove my heater, but I hit one of the lines with a screw and decided it wasn’t worth fixing. So. I cut the line and drained it out the emergency exit door and went to the back of the bus (2006 International RE300 with DT466) to start figuring out a loop. What I found is making me wonder if I even need to do a loop?
The lines have shutoff valves. If I just shut-off the flow, can I remove the original plumbing and forego the loop, or is the heater system integral to the function of the engine, requiring a loop to not overheat?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0549.jpg  

Mattbzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 06:22 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
You should be able to use the shut off valves, the problem is that you lose the front defroster from your heater up front. Putting in the loop rids you of the rear heater, but keeps the front one in tact for the defroster.

In the summer time a lot of people will throw those valves because a heater isn't needed.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 10:22 PM   #3

But it’s a rear-engine bus, so wouldn’t removing the heater hoses (even looped) disable all heating, including the defrost?
Mattbzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 07:39 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
yes closing the valves will shut the whole jeastinmg system down.. sucks if you hit a heater lijne wit ha screw.. the best way is to fix the heater.. to drive the bus temporarily yes you can close the valves. and as long as they seal correctly, you wont lose your coolant.. if this is just a rear heater.. on an IC it should be a series connection so you could just bypass that pne heater unit by connecting the in to the out (the lines are 1" inside diameter.. so you would fiund fittins that arew 1" Outside diameter to bypass is..

if you ruined a front heater then fix it unless you like to freeze in the winter and drive bundled up. esp in an RE bus ehere you have no engine heat to warm you
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 07:48 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Chassis: IC RE (PB30500)
Engine: Maxxforce DT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattbzn View Post
But it’s a rear-engine bus, so wouldn’t removing the heater hoses (even looped) disable all heating, including the defrost?
In my 2008 RE300 that is the case. I can only assume so for the 2006. The heaters are run in series so closing the valves or putting a loop in at the engine bay would cost you the function of all heaters, including the defroster, on the bus. I don't know if you've ever driven a vehicle without a defroster but I have, and you don't want to. Especially with a vehicle as large as a bus, it would be very unsafe.

I'd replace the damaged hose first, or patch it with a hose connector. Cut out the damaged section of hose, in your case a 1 inch section where the screw hole is, and install a hose connector with hose clamps. Hole fixed.

And then assuming the rest is exactly the same as mine:

In order to delete the midship heater, go under the bus where the side E-door is and go between the frame rails. You should see the blue heater hoses, yours are pretty dirty in the engine bay, but trust me, they're blue. At that point on the bus there should be a break in the heater hose line with some 90 degree metal hose connectors, those create a branch for the midship heater and go towards the E-door. Take out those 90 degree hose connectors and install a straight hose connector with some hose clamps to bypass that branch. Now you should have a continuous run of heater hose from the rear of the bus to the front of the bus.

As far as where to get those straight hose connectors. Check the section of hose you're removing for the midship heater, mine had three separate hose connectors in it. It's clear to me that they made that branch for the midship heater out of spare hose, and had to use a lot of connectors to make it work. If you aren't that luckily they sell them at pretty much every home improvement or plumbing store.

Tags
dt466, heater hose, heater loop