Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2014, 06:58 PM   #1
Skoolie

Coachwork: -
Chassis: -
Engine: -
EEaT or Euro Engines and Transmissions!

I know, I know, I know!!

WRONG place! ...or maybe not?!!

I have the following thread over at "Mechanical and Drivetrains" for nearly a month now... - BUT as it is, NO answer so far.

MaD has 3505 posts so far - CD has 24328! ....so far!

So - I appreciate if you leave this here for a while, to see if someone "bites"!
I will remove/move the whole thread once I see if there is some useful (topic) response or not - just figuring that not everyone is looking through the whole Skoolie site!

Thank you!

TEMORARY COPY from the MaD-forum:

Hi all,

I wonder if there is a drive-line mechanic/engineer on this forum, that has some experience with standards.

I understand that about everything is standardized and to a certain extend can be mixed and matched.

SAE/ISO would be some standards that drive-trains would adhere to.

So the bell-housing patterns should be standardized and then these to transmissions.....

I wonder if anybody has any experience to match up a Cummins or International/Navistar to a ZF-Ecosplit trans??
Any Euro members here? Or someone from South America?

I drove these a while back (early 90s) in their Ecosplit-16 version from 360 hp to 520hp and am in love with these transmissions!

My plan is to get one installed in "my bus" (whenever and if that happens) - this would give me 16 speeds and I end up with the perfect gear for about anything!

16 gears is certainly overkill, but if you get a used trans it doesn't really matter anymore, does it?
The smallest Ecosplit-16 will EASILY take any torque any of the bus engines can dish out......

My further plans include a change to complete air-suspension, a possible tag axle and hydro-drive on the tag and front axles for those sticky situations on far off dirt roads. The air-suspension will be built in a way so I can get a serious lift to get over rough stretches - to the extend the drive-line angles will allow from the RE.....

The 16-speed would give me: from a serious crawl speed everything to a ultra highway OD - counting on the splitter, there are 2 crawlers in the trans, 2 reverse + 16 [2x(splitter)2x4] gears

However before starting to look for a trans, I need to find out if I am right about the standardization issues and if it is economically feasible to go this way....

Cheers,

thjakits

thjakits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
r_w
Skoolie

Re: EEaT or Euro Engines and Transmissions!

Can't help on the tranny, other than the more speeds the better. And that you need to watch the overall length for a RE, as you don't have a lot of extra drive shaft to cut off.

As for hydro tag--get a set of chains (or spinners) and a locker or steering brakes. If you can't get out with chains and individual brakes, you have bigger problems.
r_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #3
Skoolie

Hey R-W,

I thought about the length available - as I plan/dream on slide outs and fluid storage as big as possible, I probably will have to use all up to max gross weight anyway, so a tag axle is probably in the equation too - I do hope the frame is drilled for different suspension equipment and locations.
So, if necessary I move the drive axle forward.
Chains and lockers are planned anyway, but IF I can get a decent (economic...) set of the hydro set-up, just icing on the cake!

At the end - I don't plan to go OFF-road, but I certainly want to be able to go any road anytime - as long as the bus fits on it.

Hydro drive is a LOT lighter than a full on 4wd/awd (to the tune of over 800 lbs, just for the front wheel drive, let alone a tandem rear drive vs single drive axle).
[This Hydro business is really just a fancy dream, but in Europe it becomes common place in construction site truck equipment!]

Cheers,

thjakits
Old 09-05-2014, 06:16 PM   #4
Skoolie

bump 1
thjakits