Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2017, 04:45 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
EEZ Tire Monitoring System

A few weeks ago I was prepping the bus for another weekend trip up to the family camp and checked the usual stuff: oil, coolant and fuel levels then checked pressure in all six tires. Everything was good to go. Fast forward to the next morning we’re loading up and for some reason I looked under the bus and was shocked to see that one of the inner duallys was low. Checked it with the tire gauge and it’s not just low, it’s flat! So I pulled out the compressor and aired it up again but I can hear a hiss. Turned out one of my valve stem extenders had rusted a bit and was stuck open. Driving 200 miles on that flat dually would almost certainly have caused the outer to blow too so I just plain lucked out catching it when I did. That led me to look at tire pressure monitoring systems (TPMS) and I finally settled on the EEZ Tire Minder.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7377.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	15048

Paid $340 for the monitor and six wheel sensors. Two flow-thru sensors that allow you to air up with the sensor in place and 4 theft-resistant sensors that need to be removed before adding air to the tire. The flow-thru sensors go on the inner duallys.

Name:	IMG_7386.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	15051

Installation was pretty simple but I did have to upgrade my tire valves to the bolt-in style. The extra weight of the sensors tends to break down the rubber pull-through valve stems and cause leaks.

Name:	IMG_7381.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	15049

Name:	IMG_7383.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	15050

Since I can't get my hand through those little holes in the rim I also made a tool to remove the flow-thru sensor on the inner duallys. Just some PVC pipe cut to fit.

Name:	IMG_7387.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	15052

Now I don’t have to use the tire gauge to check tire pressure. Just turn on the monitor and each tire reports in turn at 5 minute intervals. It also lets me set alarms for high and low pressures and tire temperature so no need to constantly look at the monitor.

Getting instant notification of a tire problem (particularly the one of the duallys) is great for peace of mind on the road. I like it.

Name:	IMG_7389.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	15053

Old 08-02-2017, 04:47 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Thank you. I was looking at this system. I will eventually put it on my bus. Awesome

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:36 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
And now we know the importance of doing a daily pre-trip inspection.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 03:09 AM   #4
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
That's pretty cool. It's impossible to look at a truck tire and tell if it's low. My steers are 115 psi and look fine at 95 psi...

My big concern with this device is point of failure. Could this gizmo fail and cause you to loose pressure? I could see where it'd be better to have metal valve stems to support the additional mass.

Aren't there some sensors that go internal at the rim?

found 'em
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:09 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
very nice!
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:17 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
That's pretty cool. It's impossible to look at a truck tire and tell if it's low. My steers are 115 psi and look fine at 95 psi...

My big concern with this device is point of failure. Could this gizmo fail and cause you to loose pressure? I could see where it'd be better to have metal valve stems to support the additional mass.

Aren't there some sensors that go internal at the rim?

found 'em
I was surprised to read that tire pressure monitoring has been mandated on all new cars since 2005. All of the factory installed systems use the internal sensors.

Yes, the screw on sensors could potentially get loose and leak but at least the monitor would warn that it's happening.