Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2006, 06:10 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: TransitLiner
Engine: Cummings
Emergency repair kit

Finally, after a few false starts, I'm heading out Friday morning to Texas to pick up the beast. I have my insurance from GMAC, my plane ticket, an approved PTO request and a small contingency fund, but still there is the uncertainty that something might happen on the road that will leave me sitting.

My question to the group is, if you were putting together an emergency kit to move a 25 year old bus 1100 miles, what would it contain? The bus was well maintained up to the point of where it was parked 6 months ago. The budget for said kit will be about $100 and so far includes:

A few feet of the more common diameter vacuum and fuel lines with a handful of couplers and hose clamps.

A fuel filter (i'm putting on a new air filter before leaving)

A basic box/open end wrench set, multi tip screw driver, pliers, multi-meter, etc

A couple of gallons of oil

Is there anything else that you wouldn't be caught on the road without?

(Added after the first reply) Yes, I'll be taking a cell phone and a laptop with a nationwide broadband card... :/

w1bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:57 AM   #2
Skoolie

a cell phone
westport_wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:59 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

electrical wire (i'd personally have enough to reach/rewire back brake/turns from the front of the bus) at least 150' total of 12ga
bailing wire (if need to hang an exhaust pipe or something else loose)
zip ties
water (no need for antifreeze, just lots of water to get to the next stop) [if you are flying out, stop at a restaurant and pick up a few 5 gallon pails and lids and fill with water]
duct tape (will patch a radiator hose enough for the next service exit)
misc spare bolts diff sizes and lengths and nuts/washers
brake and p/s fluid (find type beforehand, or p/u at first opportunity after seeing bus)
atf if auto
check rear end level before taking off, fill if needed (couple qts. 90wt typ)
flashlight

i fix anything and everything myself, and for me (maybe not for you), I'd go heavier on tools (gas air compressor, air tools, full socket set and so on). I'd pick up some basic parts for the vehicle, such as spare fuel pump, spare alternator, spare ign components if gas motor (cap, coil, wires, module), water pump. This kind of stuff I haul around anyway on long trips. If you are flying out to pick up the bus, most of these items would not be possible, anyway. edit: i don't fly, so wouldn't be a problem to take all the crap I want.

EDIT: post your route. maybe some other skoolies along the way will pass along thier cell numbers just in case you do need assistance.
waywardfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:19 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: TransitLiner
Engine: Cummings
Route and such

I will be carryting a 55gal plastic drum for non-potable water, but hadn't considered the other fluids. Everything on Wayward's list looks doable with the exception of the heavier tools. As for my route:
I45 from College Station to Houston, I 10 from Houston to 1 75 in Florida. I live about 10 miles from I 75 just south of the FL Turnpike exit.
w1bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 01:41 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Paper towels and lots of creeping oil. There's the old standby of WD-40, but I have three brands I really love....JD-80 (twice as good as the other guys ), AeroKroil, and Knock 'er Loose. Also....if it has airbrakes, some el-cheapo air hose, some barbed fittings, and hose clamps could be the difference between towing in or limping in. Also...consider buying a $10 small grease gun. You'll want to do the u-joints and steering linkage and those little guns are cheap, easier to reload, and easy to stash as a permanent fixture in the bus.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:37 PM   #6
Skoolie

I hate to sound obvious, but...
tire gauge
first aid kit
Emergency flares/ reflectors
large bag oil-dry or cat litter (can save HUGE environmental cleanup bill!)
if tubeless tires, a tire plug kit (I can do repairs before most tires get flat)
snacks
self-adhesive velcro to mount a cup holder (and the cup holder)
cooler, ice
locking gas cap & spare keys

and whatever peacocks, apes and ivory that your expedition requires to be fully outfitted.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:52 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Several sizes of vise-grips, they can act as a third hand, hold broken parts on (once held together broken alternator bracket with two carefully placed pairs of small grips) can clamp hoses (busted heater hoses) clamp off broken hydraulic brake lines. etc. etc. Incredibly versatile tools!
bdavis441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:47 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Or do as I do and just take your chances.....It makes life a lot more interesting although easy stuff like an oil change and lubrication of parts is a good idea.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:47 AM   #9
Bus Geek

a pair of jumper cables, The heavier guage the better.

The chance that you'll need any of your emergency repair stuff is unlikely. Gregg who is the king of all things skoolie has spent his life buying buses from auction and driving them hundreds and sometimes thousands of miles home. I think i read that in all the buses he's driven, only 2 of them didn't make it home. Skoolies are very reliable beasts.

that being said, you're definately on the right track when it comes to compiling an emergency repair kit.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:33 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
I really love....JD-80 (twice as good as the other guys )
Is that JD-80 or is it realy JB-80?

I'm sure you ment JB-80,
I like using that stuff to help prime an engine to get it to start after someone goofed up at the gas pumps and having to dump the gas out of the diesel tank. Then it takes us close to a month to get rid off 55 gallons of 20% diesel and 80% gas or what ever the mix was, dumping a few gallons in each gasser between fill ups.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:34 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Yes, I meant JB-80....as in Justice Brothers. Sometimes my mind moves faster than the my fingers on the keys....and sometimes vice versa. Good to know atleast one other person out there likes the stuff.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:03 PM   #12
Bus Geek

too bad the ratio wasn't 80/20 diesel/gas. I think you could run 20% gasoline in your diesel during the winter. My Mercedes Benz owners manual from 1977 states that is an acceptable ratio. Also sais you can run up to 50%kero/diesel

I tried about 10-15 percent gas in my MB once in the middle of winter. it knocked and pinged so bad that i couldn't wait to burn a quarter tank so i could stop and put more diesel in. I think that perhaps diesel is winterized much much better now that it was in 1977.

kind of off topic...sorry about that, my mind's wandering.