Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2018, 09:54 AM   #1

Emergency Roof Hatch

Hey guys I have a 94 Blue Bird T/C 2000 and my roof hatched just broke. Its winter and I need to fix them. Was wondering if anybody had any pointers on where to buy them cheap. Thank you guys!

Brokentravler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:27 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Welccome

The quickest route, is there a bus junkyard near you? Sometimes on ebay.

Most here would recommend getting some sheet metal and riveting a cover where the hatch was. Later you can cut a smaller hole in the patch to install a vent fan if desired.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:53 AM   #3

I was really trying to find new ones just for the looks and because I don’t want to have to deal with the old ones breaking upon removal. I would like to keep the hatch to work as a skylight type of deal. But might have to figure somthing out. Thank you!
Brokentravler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:22 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokentravler View Post
Hey guys I have a 94 Blue Bird T/C 2000 and my roof hatched just broke. Its winter and I need to fix them. Was wondering if anybody had any pointers on where to buy them cheap. Thank you guys!
You can have mine when I pull it off and seal it for good.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:23 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Welccome

The quickest route, is there a bus junkyard near you? Sometimes on ebay.

Most here would recommend getting some sheet metal and riveting a cover where the hatch was. Later you can cut a smaller hole in the patch to install a vent fan if desired.
What I'd do!!!
Old 01-29-2018, 02:58 PM   #6
Bus Geek

I'd exactly follow your path CB. If mine broke that would be the first thing I'd do. Rip it out and tin over the hole.

I don't go outside that way, so honestly it would solve my biggest security issue to skin over the hole. Yeah, I'd probably end up getting a vent fan to install where the hatch was too. The vent fans look pretty fragile to me too though.

Well first I'd struggle with duct tape and plastic sheeting until I was all rain soaked to the skin and tired of that, then I'd see if I had enough rivets to rip out the plastic hatch so I could pop rivet some sheeting over the hole. I'm pretty sure I don't have enough rivets to do that without going to town, and naturally it's raining with predictions of more rain. I've been known to fall off the roof during dry conditions, so I'm thinking a tarp stretched across the bus with milk jugs or something to weight it down until the rain stops would be good, or at least stop water entry.

I'm getting choosy about how I injure myself these days. I guess the point is if I'm going to fall off my bus, I'd rather do it during nice weather.

I've seen a brand new hatch for sale once several years ago. Hatches are to big of a security risk anyway because they can easily be used to break into your bus. As you're becoming aware of they're also pretty expensive to replace. Unless you're putting a sun deck on top of your bus you probably won't use that hatch much. Also many of us like the powered vent rather than just passive air exchange.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:24 PM   #7
Bus Geek

My fantastic vent has held up well so far.
Its been on my van since I first got the van. I've got an even nicer model for my new shorty.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:00 PM   #8
Bus Geek

I could have taken out my hatch this last summer when I was seam sealing and painting. I have several pieces of sheet metal that could easily cover the hatch hole. Since my break in several years ago I've kind of been kicking myself for not simply plating over the hole.

As it is, now my insulation and interior ceiling are cut to match the hatch hole. It's not that big of a deal in my maxivan since I didn't exactly finish this out like a motorhome. (visualize subfloor extending up the walls and onto the ceiling) I've kept all my window, but during extreme temps they all have fitted insulation panels several layers deep that block the heat/cold.

I like my hatch. It doesn't leak. The thing I can't get past is it's such an easy way to break into the bus. If I'm going to travel with my motorcycle in the back of the bus so I can ride in new places I'm going to have to feel secure that my bus isn't going to be broken into while I'm away on a motorcycle ride for a few hours. The hatch has got to go. I also took off all the extra mirrors that were used to gain access to my roof during the break in. The only thing I haven't done is rig a shotgun to the hatch as a welcome for the first person that opens it from the exterior, but that would likely make my hatch leak.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:16 PM   #9
Skoolie

Did someone break in to your bus through the roof hatch?
84chevyguyid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:33 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Yes, I was broken into. Every high school kid knows that the easiest way to get into a bus is through the hatch. I've found I can tie my hatch shut from the inside to prevent someone from opening it from the exterior.

So now every time someone has an interlock problem, due to the hatch that is suddenly disconnected, I suspect they were broken into.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:10 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokentravler View Post
I'll have at least one once I buy a roof A/C it's from a 92 but you'll probably find one sooner. If one unit cools the bus enough I may remove and cover the other one. But that's on next year's skoolie budget.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote