Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2019, 06:03 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT 466 Mechanical spicer 6+1. & 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 65
Emergency Widows

URGENT.... Project is on hold till this gets solved, Do I need both emergency exit windows completely clear, I'm talking to the floor and to the ceiling, would like to put a set of bunks by the passenger side one. Please let me know!

alexzckary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:30 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: FE Bus
Engine: DT-466 7.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
emergency windows are optional. You can take them out completely or move them around. On my bus there's a bar on the side of each window that is held in with screws. If you remove the screws the window pops right out. Most buses use some version of this. Just move the window and your problem is solved.
CMORGANSKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:23 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexzckary View Post
URGENT.... Project is on hold till this gets solved, Do I need both emergency exit windows completely clear, I'm talking to the floor and to the ceiling, would like to put a set of bunks by the passenger side one. Please let me know!
There's no legal requirement to have exit windows at all, since the seats are out and you're not operating as a school bus any more. From a self-preservation standpoint, though, I think you want to leave at least some of them clear so they can be used in an emergency. I've seen a number of skoolie builds where the windows and back door are blocked/locked in some way, and if people were in the back when a fire started they would have no way of getting out.

As the other user mentioned, you can rearrange your windows as you like. I'm actually planning to acquire additional emergency exit windows for my bus so that I have more than the normal four - not for escape purposes but because I like how they open and create a twice-as-large opening.
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote