Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2017, 04:27 AM   #41
Mini-Skoolie

Still can't tell where it's going to hit, but looking pretty strong. Not so much rain as TX got, but could be hitting Miami with 170 to 190 mph wind (especially if it misses Cuba).

Great reason to live on a bus, I'd say! "We're outa' here..."

INanMT-Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:45 AM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by INanMT-Bus View Post
Still can't tell where it's going to hit, but looking pretty strong. Not so much rain as TX got, but could be hitting Miami with 170 to 190 mph wind (especially if it misses Cuba).

Great reason to live on a bus, I'd say! "We're outa' here..."
I'd hate to fight the traffic and lines at fuel stations. Especially in a bus.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:32 AM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
im with milkmania.. Boiled peanuts sound horrid.. actually im much more a 'roasted' and 'fried' type than Boiled anything... if I weant an egg I scramble and fry it in a skillet.. not boil it... hotdogs? roast on a grill.. dont boil. potatoes? oven baked augratin with cheese.. not boiled and mashed.. peanuts? Salty dry roasted! not boiled..

Boiling works good for pasta

LOL

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:39 AM   #44
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
I still can't bring myself to try boiled peanuts... Had a friend in Lakeland tell me about them but they just don't sound appealing to me. I have visions of soggy peanuts that I just can't get over. Maybe it's a texture thing... Hate sweet potatoes, squash, and chocolate gravy
You will change your mind about pasta if you try fried ravioli.. of course it's boiled first

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:58 AM   #45
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
im with milkmania.. Boiled peanuts sound horrid..

Had to google Boiled Peanuts- Sounds like a punishment the Carter Family employed.

How do you eat a boiled peanut?
Some people crack the soggy shells open with their hands. Some people pop the whole peanut in their mouth, crack it open, extract the nut and spit out the shell. Some with intrepid digestive tracts even eat the whole thing, shell and all. Get the Hot Boiled Peanuts recipe from The Kitchn.Aug 8, 2013
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:12 AM   #46
Almost There

Year: 1993
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360
If the bus were done I'd love to drive away from the storm, but it's not. Luckily it's in a shop, but I won't get too excited about that because Charlie blew our shop doors completely in in 2004. My father is trying to mitigate the damage this time by having the white migrant busses parked in front of the shop doors to redirect some of that wind.

I'm also worried about my own home. I have a mansard roof, with a thick sheet-like material on top and shingles on the sides. Hurricane Jeanne peeled the "sheet" off like the top off a sardine can and threw it in the yard, flooding the whole house with all the rain. Trust me, standing ankle deep in water in your own home is not a good time. I don't want it to happen again. We also have a low lying "basement" room that may be flooded.
wendysdrivethrudude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:14 AM   #47
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
LOVE boiled peanuts but then I was raised on them. My Daddy was from South Carolina and I remember as a kid stopping by gas stations that had the kettle going outside...we stocked up before heading back to New York. Thanks for the memories
Ok, back to reality...be safe everyone! I don't want to hear of any tragedies.
I'll be waiting and watching...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2017, 11:30 AM   #48
Traveling

Yikes

Hurricane Jose grows to category four

Hurricane Jose, east of the Caribbean and heading west, has grown to a category four storm, the National Weather Service has announced.

Thousands remain trapped on St Martin, St Barts, and the Virgin Islands in Jose’s path. On the devastated island of Barbuda, officials have ordered people to evacuate to nearby Antigua, which was spared the degree of destruction. Jose is tentatively projected to veer north, into the open ocean, before nearing Cuba or the mainland, but it may yet change direction.

Some forecasters also fear that the warm waters around coastal Florida – in the high 80s off parts of Palm Beach County – may reinvigorate Irma, turning the gigantic category four storm back into a category five.

2 Atlantic hurricanes currently have winds of 150 mph (#Irmaand #Jose) - 1st time on record Atlantic has had 2 150+ mph storms at same time

More than 100,000 Palm Beach County residents were given mandatory evacuation alerts on Thursday night and Friday morning, and more than a million people ordered to leave their homes along coastal areas, mostly from the densely populated Miami-Dade County.

Governor Rick Scott warned that all Floridians should be ready to evacuate, if necessary: a total of 20 million people.

Stay safe.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:23 PM   #49
Bus Geek

Quote:
im with milkmania.. Boiled peanuts sound horrid.. actually im much more a 'roasted' and 'fried' type than Boiled anything... if I weant an egg I scramble and fry it in a skillet.. not boil it... hotdogs? roast on a grill.. dont boil. potatoes? oven baked augratin with cheese.. not boiled and mashed.. peanuts? Salty dry roasted! not boiled..

Boiling works good for pasta

LOL

-Christopher
They're not like you think. you GOTTA try em, they're junk food!
Old 09-08-2017, 03:25 PM   #50
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Had to google Boiled Peanuts- Sounds like a punishment the Carter Family employed.

How do you eat a boiled peanut?
Some people crack the soggy shells open with their hands. Some people pop the whole peanut in their mouth, crack it open, extract the nut and spit out the shell. Some with intrepid digestive tracts even eat the whole thing, shell and all. Get the Hot Boiled Peanuts recipe from The Kitchn.Aug 8, 2013
Crack open the shell, eat the delicious salty peanuts. repeat.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:26 PM   #51
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
older folks . . .

My parents: the Ocala house in North Florida should be fine. I'm worry about our house in Miami, so we are going to stay down there.
My neighbor's parents: I have a house in Puerto Rico, so im flying there to make sure everything is fine.

Who understands parents ...
Old 09-08-2017, 03:55 PM   #52
Bus Geek

I have an apartment in FLorida... *ITS* in Florida.. *I* am in OHIO!!! I love to storm chase.. but aint messin with no Bitch named Irma thats obviously having a bad hair day and cant make up her mindwhich side of road to stay on..

***FRIED RAVIOLI!!!*** - Yes NOW we are talkin!!!!!!

I also make this dish called 'Pasta Salvi' - a friend and I copy-catted it from a now defunct restaraunt in columbus ohio.. think of Fettucini alfredo with a really rich sauce.. thats been chilled.. cubbed (2 inch by 1 inch) Spiced ..then floured-egged-PANKO'd and deep fried!!!

-Christopher
Old 09-08-2017, 03:58 PM   #53
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I also make this dish called 'Pasta Salvi' - a friend and I copy-catted it from a now defunct restaraunt in columbus ohio.. think of Fettucini alfredo with a really rich sauce.. thats been chilled.. cubbed (2 inch by 1 inch) Spiced ..then floured-egged-PANKO'd and deep fried!!!

-Christopher
Ooh! That sounds tasty! I'm looking forward to it.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:08 PM   #54
Bus Geek

latest update brings this closer to the west coast... and also strengthening around the keys back to a CAT-5.. this is a 5PM friday update... areas like st pete and tampa are more in the corss-hairs.. areas like daytona and JAX are LESS in the crosshairs...

all of the state will be rough but if you are west-coasting, try and get out if you can... this trend looks to continue... JOSE on its tail for now is affecting the track... as is the weakening of the northern cold front pushing down from the Northwest... this front is slowing and may stall.. this was originally pushing Irma East.. the carolinas look pretty safe at this point..
-Christopher
Old 09-08-2017, 04:41 PM   #55
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
I'm no weather man but I have stayed at a holiday Inn a few time & I see it threading thru & hitting Louisiana & Texas.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:59 PM   #56
Bus Geek

its certainly a possibility that could happen... not likely but then again there is no "likely" with these storms...

being up north I track winter storms.. and they follow just as wacky a path as these hurricanes do.. those up north will understand what im saying.. when one minute you see partly cloudy and 2 hours later you have a wnter storm warning for 14 inches of snow.. only to go rout the grocery to end up with sunny and 49 when the storm misses completely... hurricanes while typicaly much more desructive than snowstorms also have this unpredictability... many things come into play.. and some of them last minute.. with Harvey 2 high pressure systems cradled it so it didnt move.. while part of this was predicted, the fact that HI number 1 would actually NOY shift the original torm track wasnt predicted and ths began its unpredictable phase.. with Irma the marching cold front and also the jetstream beginning to raise in the central U.S., favor to allow a west / North track instead of a North / West track... the original models 10 days ago suggested the storm would be a gulfer... the jet was forecast to barely budge.. (that jet is why you in calgary canada are Hotter than tennessee this week).. the more west the track is favored
then alas why its forecast to go up florida center / west until it hits that slowing cold front in upper georgia and stops.. as a Tropical storm.. so right now while florida looks to get hammered hard.. (as it likely hits as a cat 5 or Hi cat 4).. dont be surprised if we see Major flooding in the likes of Nashville / tennessee valley..
-Christopher
Old 09-08-2017, 05:21 PM   #57
Traveling

Quote:
latest update brings this closer to the west coast...
Remember, it's the RUQ upper-right hand quadrant you need to worry about.

Euro models have been much more on target.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:00 PM   #58
Bus Geek

CB stay safe brother, and all the other skoolie-ites, stay safe.

Personally I am heading to the coast...I built a roof rack, cooler/pole cart and going fishing in NC
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170908_164732.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	15755

going for blues, we will see on Sunday if our house rental is still good, we have plenty of fuel, food and water....so even if we get told to evacuate (highly unlikely with recent models) we are GTG and will run back roads home

Everyone remember stay safe that is more important than "things"
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:09 PM   #59
Mini-Skoolie

The west is burning, the south is drowning. As much as I detest midwest weather it ain't so bad at the moment.

We're pulling for y'all.
INanMT-Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:30 PM   #60
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by INanMT-Bus View Post
The west is burning, the south is drowning. As much as I detest midwest weather it ain't so bad at the moment.

We're pulling for y'all.
we had tornados this week in ohio.. and over 100 lightning strikes hit cloud to ground in last weeks storms in columbus ohio
-Christopher

Tags
bugout, bus, campground, irma, water