Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2019, 08:17 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cummins 5.9 + Allison 3060
Rated Cap: Full size
Expanding an existing lithium battery bank with cheaper batteries from Walmart

We are picking up a new fridge and about to go boondocking tomorrow. I don't have time to order more lithium batteries and I don't want to spend so much money as they cost because I'm not sure that we'll need it. I want to get one or two less expensive batteries from Walmart in case we do end up needing them.

I can theoretically make two separate banks and only have one connected to the electrical system at a time but that might mean swapping wires around multiple times a day.

I'd like it if there is a way to just wire everything together permanently, have it work, and have it not kill the life expectancy of anything in the bank.

Any advice? (other than not getting the fridge... I've tried to argue against it and been unsuccessful)

OlgaAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:07 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
You do not want to mix different chemistries within the same bank. Whatever you do, don't do that. Swapping wires back & forth between 2 different banks is far from ideal, but if that's the only other solution you have, it's better than the alternative.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:33 AM   #3
Skoolie

If you do use the 2 bank system. Get a battery control switch. when wired properly, you can switch between 2 banks of batteries or run both. I have them in my boat and have used them in numerous projects at my old job (hybrid control systems for military). This article should help. https://www.bluesea.com/support/arti..._Battery_Banks
but like said before you cant mix different chemistry types. The lithiums are very sensitive to improper charging profiles.
E450Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:44 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: FE Bus
Engine: DT-466 7.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlgaAK View Post
We are picking up a new fridge and about to go boondocking tomorrow. I don't have time to order more lithium batteries and I don't want to spend so much money as they cost because I'm not sure that we'll need it. I want to get one or two less expensive batteries from Walmart in case we do end up needing them.

I can theoretically make two separate banks and only have one connected to the electrical system at a time but that might mean swapping wires around multiple times a day.

I'd like it if there is a way to just wire everything together permanently, have it work, and have it not kill the life expectancy of anything in the bank.

Any advice? (other than not getting the fridge... I've tried to argue against it and been unsuccessful)
If your charge controller can charge different types Ie: lead acid and lithium you can do like I did. I wired 4 200 amp a/b switches in the system. Two at the charge controller switch between bank A and bank B + and -, and two below the banks switch the inverter from bank A and bank B + and -. You have to switch the switches A/B at the controller and select the appropriate charge profile on the charge controller for the bank.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
CMORGANSKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote