Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2019, 02:39 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Experience with Vinyl Plank flooring? Temp concerns

So the wife brought home a sample of vinyl plank flooring from Home Depot (LifeProof Rigid click-lock vinyl plank) this last weekend, and we were instantly sold. Seemed to provide everything we were looking for in a floor... flexible, durable, waterproof, and at least somewhat sound-deadening.

Unfortunately, I just learned today that it's designed to be installed in temperature-controlled environments ranging from 50-100F. As the temp inside our bus yesterday maxed out at 125 (and that was not the hottest day we'll have), this presents problems.

Has anyone used this product or others like it in high-temp environments?
What do you think will happen if (I mean when) the temp rating was exceeded?
What would be the best alternatives that could take the heat?

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:09 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
125, ouch. I was going to use some of the adhesive-edged plank, but good point. Maybe sheet material is the way.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:27 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
It expands and contracts with the temp. If excessive it will start to buckle or pull apart at the seams.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:36 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Potentially good news as I continue to research options. I found a flooring installation business that recommended COREtec brand vinyl plank flooring for non-temperature controlled spaces (though they state - quite correctly - that such an installation may void the warranty).

So I hit up the COREtec website, and found their manufacturer warranty. In it, they state that in order to remain under warranty, any floor subjected to temps ABOVE 140 or BELOW freezing, must be installed using adhesive (aka not floating). This would seem to imply that within those rather generous temp extremes, their product should remain stable, floating or not. They do, however, also require the space to be 'temperature controlled', though they do not define what, exactly, that means. I'd consider any space that could range from freezing to 140 to not be temp controlled, so I'm not sure how those two requirements jive together. I'm guessing a large temp change over a short amount of time could have unwelcome consequences, so maybe that's what they mean (just keep your home at 139 and you'll be fine lol).

I also found other references to other flooring brands that echoed the same sentiment... if you're going to install in an area that could see a wide range of temps, don't float the floor. Use a quality adhesive.

So - tentatively - it looks like all vinyl plank flooring is not created equal in regards to the ability to handle temp extremes (COREtec is but one brand that looks like it will work. I'm going to look for others with similar qualities), but all probably benefit from glue-down installation to best resist unintended consequences.

A few links from where I drew the above info:

https://coretecfloors.com/COREtec/me...s.pdf?ext=.pdf

https://www.flooring-professionals.c...lank-flooring/

Last one has most useful info in Q&A section below:

https://www.bestlaminate.com/blog/pr...lank-flooring/

Old 08-05-2019, 03:37 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Coachwork: IC
Chassis: FE Bus
Engine: DT-466 7.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
you should use old fashioned carpet and linoleum flooring in the roll if you temps are that high. My led strip lights on vinyl tape expand and contract up to 6".
CMORGANSKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:53 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMORGANSKOOL View Post
you should use old fashioned carpet and linoleum flooring in the roll if you temps are that high. My led strip lights on vinyl tape expand and contract up to 6".
Carpet is straight out. That's everything we don't want in a floor.
Linoleum would work, but it's far from our ideal.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:16 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
I have vinyl flooring that is floating, and when the weather is extreme there are some problems. When it’s very cold caps can appear and when it’s very hot it will very slightly buckle.

After reading this thread I am considering taking it up and putting it back down with adhesive. The way it is it’s not catastrophic but it would be nice if those concerns went away.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:34 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
I have vinyl flooring that is floating, and when the weather is extreme there are some problems. When it’s very cold caps can appear and when it’s very hot it will very slightly buckle.

After reading this thread I am considering taking it up and putting it back down with adhesive. The way it is it’s not catastrophic but it would be nice if those concerns went away.

Good. Hurry up and do it so we can learn from your experience before we have to commit!

Seriously though - how do you like it otherwise?

Old 08-05-2019, 05:56 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Haha!

Pretty good otherwise. Wears well. Not as well as tile but it has stood up to our big dogs pretty well.

Looks good. Does kind of get a polished look in high traffic areas.

I don’t think anything else that is as thin as it is would look close to as good.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:14 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
We are just installing that product in our house.

I was interested in outdoor application and found this ...

This youtube tests expansion in extreme temps.

Later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:47 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMORGANSKOOL View Post
So if you are going to do the sheet floor, get some 15lb felt and use it to make a template. You can add patches for mis-cuts using well-adhering tape like duct tape. This will make cutting the sheet floor much easier. You can cut 1/4-1/2” larger than you need if you want. Dry-fit the sheet to make sure it’s right before you apply the adhesive. Carefully roll and unroll when you are moving your sheet around so as to avoid any tears. You can apply adhesive to half the floor so you can move the roll in and get it positioned. Then apply adhesive to the other half and finish unrolling it. You can use a roller to flatten the floor or just use your hands. If you need to trim the edges, use a heat gun to gently warm the flooring and then use a putty knife to push it into the corner. Follow up with a new sharp blade to make the cut. Oh, and don’t do it at 125. The adhesive will dry too fast.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:27 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
So the wife brought home a sample of vinyl plank flooring from Home Depot (LifeProof Rigid click-lock vinyl plank) this last weekend, and we were instantly sold. Seemed to provide everything we were looking for in a floor... flexible, durable, waterproof, and at least somewhat sound-deadening.

We installed the same product in our bus installed over 1" of rigid foam and 5/8" plywood.

It has seen down to the 20's and up to the 100's here in north Texas. The flooring has held up quite well, in the areas where we installed it correctly. You need to pay special attention to the direction of installation. The "new" planks need to be the ones that hook into the placed planks. We started the wrong direction and had a tough time getting them to seat together. We also have a few plank strands (the same width of plank along the length of the bus) that have slid relative to the others. This may be due to my breaking the "locking" tabs on the short end on those strands.

We have seen no buckling or warpage. It cleans easily enough. It does add a bit of insulation and sound proofing.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:32 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Great to hear of y'all experiences. Thanks so much. It looks like vinyl plank flooring is back on the menu.

Think we might give the COREtec stuff a go, so long as Sharon finds a pattern/color we like. Not only does it appear to have an advertised temp range that will work, it's also 'Greenguard Gold' certified for low VOC emissions.

Old 08-17-2019, 05:16 PM   #14
Almost There

I did bamboo and used screws like on a boat
Short bus dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:49 PM   #15
Skoolie

Coachwork: Eldorado (REV)
Chassis: Chevy Express Cutaway g3500
Engine: Turbo diesel 6.5L
Rated Cap: 14
I installed sheet vinyl. The bus was out in the heat for the past couple of months. The glue dissolved and now the vinyl is not attached. The vinyl held up; the glue did not. I am going to try again after researching glues.
Sharee100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:53 PM   #16
Almost There

Can it be screwed down
Drill and screw
Worked for me as I had rain get in and mess mine up the second day in buck up the glue gave
So I drilled two on each end and screwed it down
Short bus dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:31 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
I used vinyl plank and adhesive and have measured temps over 140 before I covered the windows and windshield and it was out unheated on a -15 degree day with no ill effects the only negative I see is the seams in the subfloor are "telegraphing" through the floor. Gene
Old 08-17-2019, 08:14 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharee100 View Post
I installed sheet vinyl. The bus was out in the heat for the past couple of months. The glue dissolved and now the vinyl is not attached. The vinyl held up; the glue did not. I am going to try again after researching glues.
What did you use?
Old 08-18-2019, 12:10 AM   #19
Skoolie

Coachwork: Eldorado (REV)
Chassis: Chevy Express Cutaway g3500
Engine: Turbo diesel 6.5L
Rated Cap: 14
Originally I used "Vinyl Glue" which I purchased at Lowes.
Sharee100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:52 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharee100 View Post
Originally I used "Vinyl Glue" which I purchased at Lowes.
You mean like vinyl mastic that’s in the flooring section?

I’ve seen peeling floor before, but I always assumed it was either caused by not getting the floor in place before the mastic starts to set or by water damage. Also, what flooring? Was it that paper-backed stuff?

I am thinking of sheet floor, but I sure don’t want a do-over.