Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: SAFE-T-LINER
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 83
EXTERIOR LP FOR GRILL?

Has anyone run a LP line through the exterior sheet metal of there SKOOLIE with a fitting from their on board LP tanks for a gas grill? I was thinking of maybe doing this. If I want to set up a small grill outside or something similar and not have to worry about additional tanks.

Any pictures? Thoughts?

Dan

BUSBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: EXTERIOR LP FOR GRILL?

W use a quick connect setup for our BBQ grill and as a home-brewed extend-a-stay. We use shut off valves on the "T" (1 line to RV LP line, 1 line to grill) and a shut off on the RV. Very handy. We will use a similar setup on the bus. So far it has served us well since late summer 2006. Last fall was the first time that we filled our RV permanent mounted 40# LP tank (still using the same gas). We had been using the 20# BBQ type tanks because we were not in an area that we could get LP delivered to our RV and we didn't want to move to fill the tanks. We built the set up because we were in an area where it was cheaper to swap out BBQ tanks at the Amerigas/Home Depot tank swap than the refill a BBQ tank (like 1/2 the price!). It's just one of those things that we "tested" on the RV with an eye to using it on the bus (but now it's a different bus).
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #3

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Honestly, I think it's more trouble than it's worth. A 20# tank isn't really an inconvenience compared to breaking down camp to go drive to fill up your permanent LP tank.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:30 AM   #4
Bus Nut

I was thinking, (Dangerous, I know) that you could "Ballpark" the end of the LP hard pipe to where you want the grill, then use quick connects and flex tube to continue to the grill. Might even have them in its own little box w/ door so you would only have to open the "Grill Gas Door" to hook up... I guess it would be the opposite of the Diesel/Gas Door... If theres enough room inside the door, you can store the hose if its not permanently attached to the grill.

Or just mount the grill on a pullout drawer with several Pneumatic cylinders at the corners so it pops up to using height... then you only have to have a long enough flex cord.

(See why my thinking is dangerous? I get ideas... )
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:10 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/ 5spd
Rated Cap: 36

Just remember that if you are tee'd in after the regulator off the main tanks you'll need to remove the regulator on your BBQ (unless it's an RVbq) , if you tee in before your main regulator you'll need one on the BBQ.
Diddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

We are tee'd in BEFORE the regulator on the Class C

This is what it looks like off of our 20lb tank (can also use a larger tank but we like the option of swapping out a little tank for when we run out of LP on a Sunday when everyone is closed. I haven't seen a delivery truck in our current campground since we got here in June.

If you do something like this... Include the shut off valves (the red handled things). We shut off the BBQ when not using. We once emptied a whole LP tank because the hose developed a leak and we didn't know it. We also use the cheapie LP grills you get at Wal-Mart. We burn them out every year. Cheaper to replace than to fix (keep your regulator if it works from a previous one... we have had a couple of bad regulators). We left one in a campground by accident once.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: SAFE-T-LINER
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 83

Ooooh, I like those ideas. hmmm. Got me thinking.
BUSBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote