Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2021, 08:48 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
There are guards for angle grinders?
They all come with one installed. Like seatbelts in cars.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:17 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
They all come with one installed. Like seatbelts in cars.

You sure that's not just a shipping thingy (I am being sarcastic, I know, it doesn't come across well in text).
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 03:27 PM   #23
Almost There

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3500
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 8 handicapped
I've been using angle grinders professionally for over 20 years. First thing I do is take the guard off. I disable the trigger interlock so it just goes when I touch the paddle. And I never where anything but my usual prescription specs. No gloves. One thing I would say is to stay away from the thumb switches. Paddles are much safer.
jackdebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 04:05 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdebear View Post
I've been using angle grinders professionally for over 20 years. First thing I do is take the guard off. I disable the trigger interlock so it just goes when I touch the paddle. And I never where anything but my usual prescription specs. No gloves. One thing I would say is to stay away from the thumb switches. Paddles are much safer.
Well you're very skilled and/or lucky. That's all horrible practice/advice.
Old 11-20-2021, 04:55 PM   #25
Almost There

I know my 2¢ worth is bad advice. But I do have experience and all I'm hearing from the rest of the rest of the comments is fear in the absence of experience. I also don't wear a seat belt, get check ups, wear a mask, a bicycle helmet. All of these things for years on end w/o incident.
Old 11-20-2021, 05:57 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:
I know my 2¢ worth is bad advice. But I do have experience and all I'm hearing from the rest of the rest of the comments is fear in the absence of experience. I also don't wear a seat belt, get check ups, wear a mask, a bicycle helmet. All of these things for years on end w/o incident.

Its that one time you need them and don't have them that safety items are most valuable. Nothing in this thread is "fear without experience". You're assuming a whole lot- you know what assuming does?
I also have plenty of metalworking experience and was never hurt due negligence or stupidity- or luck.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:16 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
wearing a face shield and keeping the guard on a grinder doesnt mean I fear it.. what it means is i dont have enough experience with it to know exactly what its going to do in every situation that I put it through..

I do believe that would probably speak for 99% of the people coming here who may have never used one before or have very little experience..

to tell people they are essentially cowards because they dont put on a face shield and keep the guard on their grinder is a total DUMBASS comment as I would recommend to anyone that doesnt have lots of experience they use the safety equipment..

its quite possible that you have enough experience using a grinder that you know exactly what to do and not to do and what wheel is right for what metal and what technique works so that you dont experience a kickback or a bound up wheel that shatters or sparks in your eyes.. but the average person in this forum doesnt have such experience.. the yare in the learning stages.. so please encourage them to keep the training wheels on!!
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:03 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Quote:

It's a miracle you and I are alive and in one piece.

Did you also ride in the back of a pickup truck on the highway and when running around at slower speeds sit on the tail gate with your feet dangling?

OH.... did you drink out of a plain old garden hose too?

I don't wear a mask unless they make me or I'm in a toxic atmosphere.
I didn't wash my greasy hands, just a rag wipe, before I pulled out a smoke.
I used dry cleaning solvent to get the nasty grease off before washing my hands and arms with soap and water AT THE END OF THE DAY.
I rode horses, bareback, with no bridle just a rope, and NO HELMET.
I rode motorcycles with no helmet, even smacked the rear quarterpanel of a car that turned right from the left turn lane.

And here I am. Alive. 3 score into this thing called life.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 11-20-2021, 07:12 PM   #29
Bus Geek

sadly bad advice and chest beating has become the main form of conversation on here these days.
Old 11-20-2021, 07:48 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

Quote:
sadly bad advice and chest beating has become the main form of conversation on here these days.

It's just called LIVING LIFE.
Old 11-20-2021, 08:29 PM   #31
Bus Geek

All I see is ego's flexing telling noobs safety devices are for cowards.
Old 11-20-2021, 09:56 PM   #32
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
I think the OP asked about shield brands. I really like my Lincoln face shield, which seems to be a version of the UVEX. I don't think Lincoln makes mine any longer, so when I need a replacement I'll get a UVEX. Under $25...and comfy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-20 at 8.53.43 PM.png
Views:	3
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	62550

Have I used a grinder or cutoff wheel without a face shield? Yup. Was it wise or recommended...nope. I have lots of experience with metal working and it's exactly because of the experience that I try to use a face shield and sturdy leather gloves. It's not fear, it's awareness of what can happen if a wheel grenades. And because I've experienced that, I want to protect my face and eyes.

In fact, here's a screenshot from some video I shot today. Gloves...check. Glasses...check. Face shield...check.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-20 at 8.46.31 PM.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	62551
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:27 PM   #33
Almost There

Marilyn Monroe once said, "Better sorry than safe". Guys who worked for me generally wore all the gear. I never thought anything of it. Just my way to focus out rather than think of myself.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:41 PM   #34
Almost There

I'm better than 7 score into the fiasco called life. I've done many of the things you list. Mom got over worrying eventually. If I bump into a catastrophe next week I know who to blame. Seems to me you can't live if you are afraid to die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
It's a miracle you and I are alive and in one piece.

Did you also ride in the back of a pickup truck on the highway and when running around at slower speeds sit on the tail gate with your feet dangling?

OH.... did you drink out of a plain old garden hose too?

I don't wear a mask unless they make me or I'm in a toxic atmosphere.
I didn't wash my greasy hands, just a rag wipe, before I pulled out a smoke.
I used dry cleaning solvent to get the nasty grease off before washing my hands and arms with soap and water AT THE END OF THE DAY.
I rode horses, bareback, with no bridle just a rope, and NO HELMET.
I rode motorcycles with no helmet, even smacked the rear quarterpanel of a car that turned right from the left turn lane.

And here I am. Alive. 3 score into this thing called life.
Old 11-21-2021, 06:21 AM   #35
Bus Geek

Quote:
I'm better than 7 score into the fiasco called life. I've done many of the things you list. Mom got over worrying eventually. If I bump into a catastrophe next week I know who to blame. Seems to me you can't live if you are afraid to die.
live smart, not hard.
Old 11-21-2021, 06:43 AM   #36
Bus Geek

somehow i havent figured out how putting on a seatbelt or a face shield or a guard on a grinder has hindered my ability to live life.. I guess if i was fat and even uglier than I am a seatbelt might hinder my ability to wiggle my ass in the seat...
Old 11-21-2021, 06:52 AM   #37
Almost There

Quote:
live smart, not hard.
Maybe you've read Pasha Glubb? We are in the Age of Decadence. I have respect for the men an women who accepted hardship and danger to build this country in the Age of Pioneers. I know I have failed them by living a soft coddle life and that they will will be memorialized by history while we will be derided as weaklings hiding from danger and foisting responsibility.
Old 11-21-2021, 06:57 AM   #38
Bus Geek

Quote:
Maybe you've read Pasha Glubb? We are in the Age of Decadence. I have respect for the men an women who accepted hardship and danger to build this country in the Age of Pioneers. I know I have failed them by living a soft coddle life and that they will will be memorialized by history while we will be derided as weaklings hiding from danger and foisting responsibility.

blah blah blah.. this "men dont cry".. "men are only strong".. Bull **** is what has caused me many years of psycological hardship depression anxiety and the like..

I lived with a ******* father who was full of it... even let his mother sexually abuse me..

that thanksgiving day I drove my Chevy Volt away from his house for the last time I ever (2013) was the best damn day of my Life!!!
Old 11-21-2021, 06:58 AM   #39
Bus Geek

I certainly have not lived the life you describe.
This is PPE thread- I fully expected the chest beating and anti-safety crowd.
But I wasn't expecting yall to double down on the bad advice then give "philosophical" reasons to try and insult or otherwise denegrate anyone trying to work safely.
Old 11-21-2021, 07:09 AM   #40
Almost There

Just because I don't take my personal safety so seriously as doesn't mean I'm denigrating you. Are you like 'woke'? Am I not allowed to offer my opinion in your presence? All this outrage that's coming my way just verifies my feeling that the human race is not evolving, we are devolving. Look out, I think the sky might be falling! Better check with CNN before you get out of bed.

Quote:
I certainly have not lived the life you describe.
This is PPE thread- I fully expected the chest beating and anti-safety crowd.
But I wasn't expecting yall to double down on the bad advice then give "philosophical" reasons to try and insult or otherwise denegrate anyone trying to work safely.