Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2021, 07:04 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Collins 6-window
Chassis: Chevy 3500
Engine: 6.0L
Factory black tank exit pipe w/ putty leaking?

Hello friends!

I've finally been able to leak test my grey (black) tank, and alas, there's a leak.

I purchased a Class A Customs 40 gallon tank, which comes with a 3in PVC adapter connected to the tank, and in between there's a butyl-type putty, with a hose clamp around the connection. The hose clamp was never super tight, and when I noticed water dripping from the area where the putty is, I first squished the putty around the connection, which didn't help, and then tightened the hose clamp, which also didn't help.

I've been unable to find other people with this same issue, and thus, solutions to this issue, more putty? I'd cover the seam with flex pipe if I hadn't immediately elbowed out of the tank. I tried pushing the connections together even more, which pushed the putty out of the seam (there was always about 1/4in of the connection that wasn't fully engaged, just putty, and Class A Customs says not to remove the 3" pipe, so I didn't bother pushing it together more before installing because it seemed pretty solid).

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

veglorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:29 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I used urethane sealant.

Did you have a tight connection? In my tank I really had to work to get the pipe to seat. You’ll probably have to disassemble, clean the connections and try again.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 12:51 PM   #3
Bus Geek

It’s leaking but they say not to pull the ABS? What are they going to do for you then? You should talk to them about next steps.

I think if it were me I’d pull the tank out and get on that ABS with some big channel locks, wiggle and pull until it comes out. Then I’d scrape whatever sealant they put on there. Get a new piece of ABS and some sikaflex urethane sealant. Coat both pipe and inlet thoroughly, reassemble, and let sit for a couple days before doing anything else
Old 05-03-2021, 08:56 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Collins 6-window
Chassis: Chevy 3500
Engine: 6.0L
Thanks, Danjo! I got in touch with them, they said the same, pull it out, remove the putty, and apply silicone or other sealant. Do you have feelings about the use of silicone there, such as something like this?

The only Sikaflex available near me is the one for concrete.

I appreciate your help!
veglorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:16 AM   #5
Bus Geek

I wouldn’t use silicone because it has the least adhesion.

Tags
black tank, gray water tank, grey tank, leaking tank, tank leak