Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2020, 09:38 PM   #1

Fiberglass Removal???

Just purchased a Shuttle Bus and about to start demo. It has a fiberglass interior (walls, ceiling). Just wondering everyone’s thoughts, should I take out the interior fiberglass or just frame on top of it? My search of YouTube videos so far I have only seen a couple with fiberglass interior and they have left it alone.
Thanks

BlondeBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:47 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
I am about to start mine. If the interior walls are solid, I would leave them as-is.
Mine look not-solid, I think the honeycomb core has deteriorated in many areas,
in which case I think better to strip it off and replace the core with insulated foam and a new interior skin, probably wood panels because everyone loves wood wood wood.

I may remove all the windows and redo it as solid wall and put in windows afterwards were wanted.

Would like to hear from someone who has done it..
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber View Post
Just purchased a Shuttle Bus and about to start demo. It has a fiberglass interior (walls, ceiling). Just wondering everyone’s thoughts, should I take out the interior fiberglass or just frame on top of it? My search of YouTube videos so far I have only seen a couple with fiberglass interior and they have left it alone.
Thanks
What year / model / make is your shuttle?

We are currently ripping out everything in our 1995 FORD E350 14 passenger shuttle and aren't too sure about removing the interior fiberglass walling /ceiling. Parts of it need to at least be repaired, as it's showing the honeycomb crap inside (looks to be rotted too).

Did you end up taking out all the interior fiberglass? Did it compromise the structure of the frame?

Or did you just build off of it?
SquidGangShuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:44 PM   #4
Bus Nut

You can see pics of mine. I removed all the honeycomb too from the walls.
No reason to remove it if its in good condition.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/s...n-32007-3.html
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:49 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidGangShuttle View Post
What year / model / make is your shuttle?

We are currently ripping out everything in our 1995 FORD E350 14 passenger shuttle and aren't too sure about removing the interior fiberglass walling /ceiling. Parts of it need to at least be repaired, as it's showing the honeycomb crap inside (looks to be rotted too).

Did you end up taking out all the interior fiberglass? Did it compromise the structure of the frame?

Or did you just build off of it?
Not sure ripping out the inner layer of fiberglass is good. Even though things may hold together with just the outer layer, the two layers of fiberglass sandwiching the cardboard core is actually a single structural unit.

Not to say you couldn't replace the inner layer with a wood frame or equivalents.

You mention some of the inner fiberglass layer is damaged. Where, and do you have pictures?
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote