Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2024, 06:10 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Fiberglass sheets

So I have found some fiberglass sheets measuring 4'x8' x 1/4" for real cheap, $25 bucks each.

I am planning to remove all the windows from the bus (no roof raise), installing RV windows, and was shopping for 16ga sheet metal which is around $200 bucks a sheet, needing 8 sheets.

I never worked with fiberglass before so I would like to hear some thoughts about using the fiberglass sheets instead. I realize it might be a challenge riveting them to the body but that is not a deal breaker for me.

ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 06:48 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Busless for now
I've never worked with fiberglass sheets, But I would be concerned about rivets compressing it and causing cracks down the road. Many washers may help. Smarter folks than I will offer more knowledge. I may be a bit prejudiced, after 43 years in the metal stamping bidness, though.

Kentucky Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 06:51 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Dreaming View Post
I've never worked with fiberglass sheets, But I would be concerned about rivets compressing it and causing cracks down the road. Many washers may help. Smarter folks than I will offer more knowledge. I may be a bit prejudiced, after 43 years in the metal stamping bidness, though.

I was also concerned about cracking down the road but the cost difference!
Speaks alot!

I was also looking on how to address butting the sheets up to each other as at 1/4" thick I don't think I would be overlapping the sheets!
Old 05-30-2024, 06:58 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Busless for now
Yup. That is too thick to overlap. Maybe buy a sheet or 2 and experiment?? Keep us posted...
Kentucky Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 06:58 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
You will definitely want to stick to the metal sheets.

There's a surprising amount of force placed on the sides from torsional forces when the bus hits a bump, takes a turn, goes up a hill, or is even going fast enough into a headwind. Fiberglass will eventually crack and/or break, which opens up the possibility of getting a leak in your bus; worst case is gaping holes, but it all depends on how 'twisty' your bus is.

Yes, there are Fiberglass bus bodies, but those are generally made in one solid piece, and are also usually thicker than most fiberglass pieces.

When joining to metal, it's generally going to be better to use metal.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 07:27 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
You will definitely want to stick to the metal sheets.

There's a surprising amount of force placed on the sides from torsional forces when the bus hits a bump, takes a turn, goes up a hill, or is even going fast enough into a headwind. Fiberglass will eventually crack and/or break, which opens up the possibility of getting a leak in your bus; worst case is gaping holes, but it all depends on how 'twisty' your bus is.

Yes, there are Fiberglass bus bodies, but those are generally made in one solid piece, and are also usually thicker than most fiberglass pieces.

When joining to metal, it's generally going to be better to use metal.
You make some very good points!

To clarify just a bit, I am not using the full 4' sheet.
I guess the panel would be cut down to something like 30-36 inches x 8'.

I'm thinking along the lines of butting it up just under the drip rail and on the bottom, butting it up to the rub rail.

On the top, inside, probably install an angle iron in order to rivet the top.

There will be new windows...

I'm curious to know if with a smaller footprint, would the panels hold up?

I do prefer metal but at 200 bucks a sheet I really would like to find a reasonable solution...
Old 06-15-2024, 10:29 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
So I have found some fiberglass sheets measuring 4'x8' x 1/4" for real cheap, $25 bucks each.

I am planning to remove all the windows from the bus (no roof raise), installing RV windows, and was shopping for 16ga sheet metal which is around $200 bucks a sheet, needing 8 sheets.

I never worked with fiberglass before so I would like to hear some thoughts about using the fiberglass sheets instead. I realize it might be a challenge riveting them to the body but that is not a deal breaker for me.

Do you have a link to the sheets? Some FRP can be bonded to the steel, depending on the resin and how they were manufactured. Laid up or compressed in molds? Compressed can often be screwed or bolted on, think of the luggage racks on some ATVs. Are you sure that they are FRP and not some other type of plastic
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 09:28 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
I'd be interested in ten of those sheets.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 01:02 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

I found them on marketplace, Austin tx area. Ill check later to see if the pist is still up.