Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2018, 06:03 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1972
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 366 BBC
Question Fill low spots in celing panels??

Everyone I have a quick question... I’m sure it’s been said just maybe I’m not searching the right key words.... Anyways.. what do you guys use to fill in the low spots in the celing so I can apply a flat sheet of plastic to cover my celing. My bus is stock roof height so I’m looking to gain every inch I can... I was thinking some 1/4 foam sheets? Glue those to the metal, and then my plastic sheeting to the foam? What are your thoughts? Prefer if I can go buy it at Home Depot... thanks!

Old 05-30-2018, 06:05 PM   #2
Almost There

Since the ribs were the panels join are high spots that’s the only area to glue... let me know if I need to attach pics
Old 05-30-2018, 06:12 PM   #3
Almost There

Where the blue is...
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2018, 03:55 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Man, I'm not understanding what it is you want to do. What you have indicated in your picture seems to be the ceiling panels, which are screwed into and span the distance between the roof ribs. What is it that you want to fill in?

Some folk have taken down those panels, removed the possibly moldy fiberglas insulation behind them, and put new insulation back in. That might consist of flexible sheets of insulation, rigid sheets of insulation with slits cut into them to make them flexible, or spray foam (the best and most expensive solution).

Then, they either put the metal sheets back up (difficult) or figure out some way to put other ceiling treatment up, usually some form of wood strips.

Tell us what you're trying to accomplish and we'll help you get there. Oh, and welcome to the group! Oh, and please go to the "User CP" at the top left and fill in some of the details about yourself and your bus.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:43 AM   #5
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Man, I'm not understanding what it is you want to do. What you have indicated in your picture seems to be the ceiling panels, which are screwed into and span the distance between the roof ribs. What is it that you want to fill in?

Some folk have taken down those panels, removed the possibly moldy fiberglas insulation behind them, and put new insulation back in. That might consist of flexible sheets of insulation, rigid sheets of insulation with slits cut into them to make them flexible, or spray foam (the best and most expensive solution).

Then, they either put the metal sheets back up (difficult) or figure out some way to put other ceiling treatment up, usually some form of wood strips.

Tell us what you're trying to accomplish and we'll help you get there. Oh, and welcome to the group! Oh, and please go to the "User CP" at the top left and fill in some of the details about yourself and your bus.
I want to add ceiling panels that cover the metal panels, the previous owner already spray foamed the inside and had removed the fiberglass.. I was wondering what material can be used to fill the low spots (Where the panel ribs are spaced apart) So the ceiling can be flush while I glue up the new ceiling panels.. I think I will use 1/8" Luan as the "Spacer" to even out the ceiling
Old 06-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanT720 View Post
I want to add ceiling panels that cover the metal panels, the previous owner already spray foamed the inside and had removed the fiberglass.. I was wondering what material can be used to fill the low spots (Where the panel ribs are spaced apart) So the ceiling can be flush while I glue up the new ceiling panels.. I think I will use 1/8" Luan as the "Spacer" to even out the ceiling
why not remove the factory panels and then attach yours to the ribs directly? You can run furring strips between the ribs to give you a surface to mount to as well

Typically that metal roof doesn't ever go back in when most people do their builds. It gets ripped out, new insulation put in the roof, and then new ceiling is put on.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:03 PM   #7
Almost There

I would but mine was already converted to an RV so there's a lot of cabinets to remove to remove the ceiling tiles
Old 06-11-2018, 04:45 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanT720 View Post
I would but mine was already converted to an RV so there's a lot of cabinets to remove to remove the ceiling tiles
Gotcha. I can understand not wanting to demo everything. I was assuming it was the bus in picture with nothing in it. I like the idea of using 1/8" board to level everything out. Seems like a good way to tackle it to me. Might have to alter that around the emergency exits depending on how those are trimmed out or if they've been replaced with something else

Tags
celing, interior