Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2021, 03:21 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowpistons View Post
At this point it is too much work to gut the ceiling. I only use this bus for tailgating so I spend maybe a total of 30 hours in there a year.
You’re health is more important than ANYTHING ELSE!

Do yourself (and anybody else) that might visit your bus, Gut the ceiling of the old insulation and whatever else might be up there.
Painting it is an expensive and time consuming project too.
Might as well do it right the first time than do it over.

I didn’t want to pull my ceiling down either. But I’m the long run, I’m very glad I did.
I have a 40’ Thomas with the perforated ceiling and the trip home with it was nasty.
Micro bits of insulation were floating down while I was going down the Highway. You could see the fiberglass glistening in the sunlight.
Plus it was slightly moldy in places.

Even if you are only using this as a weekend getaway, a wee bit of new insulation, even an inch of the styrofoam stuff would make it so much more comfy!

But, this is mostly about the health of the occupants!

KlingonFiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 03:23 PM   #22
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 84
And, if you have a short Bus, this would only take an afternoon of labor to do it right!
And probably less than $40 to insulate. You can always screw the perforated panels back up into place.

Save your Lungs!
Save your kids’ lungs!
Save visitors lungs!
Save all the Lungs!
KlingonFiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 10:27 PM   #23
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Un screw your ceiling panels leaving 8 screws in the middle of each perforated panel. Makes reinstalling easier. Spray back side of perforations panel with contact adhesive and heavy construction paper with glue and attach. The paper or material of choice will keep black from coming down and can be painted with anything. While panels are hanging ,reinsulat and you can spray ceiling with truck bed liner to prevent future leaks. Alot of work, inless you get a leg of beer and invite group of friends to help
incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 11:19 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 78
Roof with holes…

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowpistons View Post
I wanted to cover all the little tiny roof holes in my bus because it CONSTANTLY rains a nice coating of black on everything.
I have read threads about either filling in or covering up the holes in the roof. From what I read, I decided to primer over the holes and then paint. I use this bus for tailgating in Cleveland and wanted this to last the life of the bus. I decided to use Zinsser Cover-Stain oil based primer and then Rustoleum Implement Enamel. From what I read, a single coat of primer should cover the holes... I just finished my second coat and third gallon of primer and only about 30% of the holes are filled in. I have tried multiple different types of rollers and brushes, nothing seems to fill them better. Any ideas on how I can fill these holes better or maybe thicken the primer?
My personal experience…
I purposefully put 16 quarter inch holes 🕳 in my roof to put through bolts to hold down my solar panels onto my roof. I wish I knew then what I do know now (about the placement of my solar panels) but that is another story.
Before I put my panels on, I put one coat (yes, I did say one coat) of flex seal on the entirety of the roof. When it dried I drilled the holes 🕳, placed my solar panels, and after they were all tightened down (by the way, it takes two people to do it the way I did it because I tightened each bolt until it slightly dimpled the inside of the roof.) I then sprayed a super heavy coat onto and around each bolt. So now there’s one coat on the entire roof, plus a heavy coat on each of the bolts.

That was going well onto four years ago.
No leaks in or on my roof. Yay!!! 😉😃🤓😎
BriteLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote