Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2021, 01:02 PM   #61
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I wouldn't have left straight water in it overnight. Straight water will cause rust to form on the surfaces you just cleaned.

To get the gunk floating out, flush it once more, and then add antifreeze. You'll never get it perfectly clean, and that's what the coolant filter is for.

I wouldn't use sealant, and I've reused hose clamps that looked worse, but clamps are cheap, breaking down on the side of the road isn't. Truthfully it looks like your leak is from the housing to hose interface and not the housing to engine. Use the new thermostat, new hose, and a new clamp and I would think your leak should be resolved.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:42 AM   #62
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
I wouldn't have left straight water in it overnight. Straight water will cause rust to form on the surfaces you just cleaned.

To get the gunk floating out, flush it once more, and then add antifreeze. You'll never get it perfectly clean, and that's what the coolant filter is for.

I wouldn't use sealant, and I've reused hose clamps that looked worse, but clamps are cheap, breaking down on the side of the road isn't. Truthfully it looks like your leak is from the housing to hose interface and not the housing to engine. Use the new thermostat, new hose, and a new clamp and I would think your leak should be resolved.
Got it, thanks
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:52 AM   #63
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBus View Post
The housing looks like it should be able to flow water just fine.
The radiator specs show the 2-1/2" top and bottom. When I replaced my radiator, I went with one with the same bottom configuration as yours. The lower hose (22762) at Rock Auto doesn't fit. It was too short in the section going side to side, if that makes sense. I modified it with a 6" pipe from a muffler shop instead of buying the correct hose which cost 3 times as much and another two weeks out. There was a spring in the lower hose but the newer one didn't have a spring being it was some new material. The old one looked good so I re-used it.
The sca's are pellets in the coolant filter not the rad hose.
I ran in to the same issue with the damn hose being too short side to side. I've checked a few places and they either have the same exact part or nothing. Mind sharing how you found the right part. Maybe it's not as much as when you needed it cost wise. In the meantime I'll keep checking online

Thanks
Old 01-05-2021, 11:12 AM   #64
Bus Nut

I came across this online. Is this what you used to modify yours?

https://www.autozone.com/plumbing-ho...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 01-11-2021, 02:08 PM   #65
Bus Nut

I've been struggling with trying to get the lower hose on. I got the end that connects to the radiator on but the "nipple" (think thats what its referred to as) on the other end on the engine has like a lip on it making it hard to fit the hose on. I'm trying to use a heat gun to soften it up enough to stretch it to where it fits but since I got it in for the most part, this end is in a tight space. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Edit:

Here is the mod I made..
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20210111-140957_Gallery.jpg  
Old 01-11-2021, 06:31 PM   #66
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
I really don't remember how I came up with the correct part number. Maybe it was on the hose for the '99 model but when I re-checked the hose, it was no where to be found. When I found it online, there were only a few to be had. Maybe a Navistar dealer can help. Look for one with a longer centerline length than that Gates.
The link you provided showed what I was looking for but can't find them for 2" diameters. The mod is similar to what I did. I used 2" muffler pipe and created a ridge on the ends with a welder. That was to create some resistance to keep the adapter from slipping out. Also used two hose clamps on each end. I would definitely feel better with the correct hose but since I moved on to a 2002 model with the Allison 2000, it really is not an issue to me.
I also remember the engine end of the lower hose was difficult. Think I worked it on from the top somehow working by feel only. Make sure end is the same size as the original.
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:22 AM   #67
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBus View Post
I really don't remember how I came up with the correct part number. Maybe it was on the hose for the '99 model but when I re-checked the hose, it was no where to be found. When I found it online, there were only a few to be had. Maybe a Navistar dealer can help. Look for one with a longer centerline length than that Gates.
The link you provided showed what I was looking for but can't find them for 2" diameters. The mod is similar to what I did. I used 2" muffler pipe and created a ridge on the ends with a welder. That was to create some resistance to keep the adapter from slipping out. Also used two hose clamps on each end. I would definitely feel better with the correct hose but since I moved on to a 2002 model with the Allison 2000, it really is not an issue to me.
I also remember the engine end of the lower hose was difficult. Think I worked it on from the top somehow working by feel only. Make sure end is the same size as the original.
I didn't create a ridge and hope mine doesn't slip, eventually. I put a can of brake cleaner or something in the engine end of the hose for a little while to stretch it and while I was waiting someone suggested I should have just used a little oil befit works wonders, in which I did. It went on effortlessly. Not sure if it was the stretch or oil or both but something worked.

Thanks for all Your guys's help!