Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2020, 07:26 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
Filter replacement brands

When you guys replaced oil, fuel, etc filters did you go with a certain brand or stick with the brand that was already in used i found Wix branded oil, fuel and coolant filters on Amazon. Is that a recommended or stock brand for the dt466e? Should I stick to whatever brand is already there? I think I remember seeing Wix in there.

Also, are Napa parts usually much more expensive than others? I ask because I was looking for an air filter on Google and the Napa brand was over $100 while others were starting off at like 28 bucks. Whats the typical price for an air filter for an engine like this?

Edit: how about this kit and brand? Found it on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/International.../dp/B079J79HVL

adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:46 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Those big air filters can be pricey, Donaldson is a OEM supplier for many vehicles on the road, or at least I frequently see their name on air intake components. Fleetguard is the OEM filter for Cummins. I've never heard anything bad about OEM filters.

I've worked for three fleet companies now and all of them have a preference for Baldwin filters. Personally I'm running 2 Cat filters and 1 Donaldson filter on one of my buses, haven't serviced the other one yet. Cat filters are regarded as very good, but I largely made the choice because I have Cat engines.
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:28 PM   #3
Skoolie

My filter preferences are more of a AVOID FRAM brand oil filters more than anything.
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 05:26 AM   #4
Bus Nut

I see multiple wix branded fuel filters on Amazon. Other than the part number I'm not sure of the difference between them. Is there multiple fuel filters on school busses? In particular my 98 international 3800 withe dt466e engine? Watched a guy on YouTube change out a fuel filter and then a fuel filter water separator (think thats what he called it). He has the same engine but his bus was a 1995 4900 so of course the engine was mechanical

I also wasn't sure about oil filters with different part numbers. For example, these two seem identical but maybe one is for a 3800 and the other is for a 4800?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CSEX2Q..._2vXRFb9JC075S

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C9ULFI...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I think I've seen a handful. Also, are oil filters and lube filters the same thing?
Old 11-14-2020, 05:44 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Engine: T444E 7.3L
I prefer Baldwin or Wix filters.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 07:53 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by adic27 View Post
I see multiple wix branded fuel filters on Amazon. Other than the part number I'm not sure of the difference between them. Is there multiple fuel filters on school busses? In particular my 98 international 3800 withe dt466e engine? Watched a guy on YouTube change out a fuel filter and then a fuel filter water separator (think thats what he called it). He has the same engine but his bus was a 1995 4900 so of course the engine was mechanical

I also wasn't sure about oil filters with different part numbers. For example, these two seem identical but maybe one is for a 3800 and the other is for a 4800?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CSEX2Q..._2vXRFb9JC075S

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C9ULFI...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I think I've seen a handful. Also, are oil filters and lube filters the same thing?
Some buses will have 2 fuel filters, a primary/water separator and secondary filter.

What are you unsure of about the filters with other then the part number? The part number IS the difference. The part number is what decides the specs of the filter, things like size, filter media, thread size, O-ring size, etc.

Those 2 filters are different, as to the cost difference, that's based off of more then just filter specs.

The 51799 is for a dt engine, whereas the 51734 is for the t444e, if that's what you were asking.

Oil and lube filters are considered the same thing.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:11 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Some buses will have 2 fuel filters, a primary/water separator and secondary filter.

What are you unsure of about the filters with other then the part number? The part number IS the difference. The part number is what decides the specs of the filter, things like size, filter media, thread size, O-ring size, etc.

Those 2 filters are different, as to the cost difference, that's based off of more then just filter specs.

The 51799 is for a dt engine, whereas the 51734 is for the t444e, if that's what you were asking.

Oil and lube filters are considered the same thing.
Thanks for clearing up the obvious lol. I was going off what Amazon showed wich wasn't much. Should have did a little more research. I looked on O'Reilly's Auto Part site for both of them and you're right.

I don't think mine has a water separator filter, or at least I don't see it. I see three filters and one is definitely a hydraulic filter, as I can see the lettering on it. It's further back beside the transmission. I just got a look at the biggest filter and its the oil, as I assumed. So, I'm assuming the smaller one is the fuel but I'll keep looking to be sure. Searching for a diagram. Please share if you know where to find one
Old 11-15-2020, 02:23 PM   #8
Bus Nut

So, I asked the question on Amazon (part number 24070) "Will this replace a filter on a 98 international 3800 dt466e. There is currently a napa 4071 on it. Equivalent?"

And someone aswer yes. I called O'Reilly's and asked for the part number for a coolant filter for the same make/model and the guy gave me 24206. How do I distinguish which one is the right filter, or could I use either??

Edit: could one be for the dt466 and the other for dt466e? Or are they interchangeable?
Old 11-15-2020, 07:03 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
My filter preferences are more of a AVOID FRAM brand oil filters more than anything.
yes i tore a fram apart to check for metal in the oil filter and found it had half the number of pleats than a napa (which is made by wix)
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:29 PM   #10
Bus Nut

I should have mentioned that the two part numbers were for Wix coolant filters.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:41 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Engine: T444E 7.3L
24070 is the coolant filter you need.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:42 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by adic27 View Post
So, I asked the question on Amazon (part number 24070) "Will this replace a filter on a 98 international 3800 dt466e. There is currently a napa 4071 on it. Equivalent?"

And someone aswer yes. I called O'Reilly's and asked for the part number for a coolant filter for the same make/model and the guy gave me 24206. How do I distinguish which one is the right filter, or could I use either??

Edit: could one be for the dt466 and the other for dt466e? Or are they interchangeable?
The short answer is that all 3 filters will likely "work" with your engine. They all have 11/16-16 thread size, roughly the same gasket size, and are roughly the same diameter.

Where they differ is height and whether or not they come pre-charged with sca's. The 24206 and 4071 both come with sca's, whereas the 4070 doesn't. The coolant you're using determines whether or not you need sca's in the filter. Technically, you don't "need" them in the filter. But if you're using a coolant that requires sca's to be monitored, having them in the filter means they'll automatically be released as needed, reducing the amount of maintenance you'll have to perform.

If filter height is important, 24206 is 5.4 inches tall, 4071 is 4.3 inches tall, and 4070 is 5.2 inches tall. So if you're height limited, make sure the filter will screw on and off.

If you're pulling off a 4071, I'd install a 4071.
Old 11-16-2020, 12:57 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
The short answer is that all 3 filters will likely "work" with your engine. They all have 11/16-16 thread size, roughly the same gasket size, and are roughly the same diameter.

Where they differ is height and whether or not they come pre-charged with sca's. The 24206 and 4071 both come with sca's, whereas the 4070 doesn't. The coolant you're using determines whether or not you need sca's in the filter. Technically, you don't "need" them in the filter. But if you're using a coolant that requires sca's to be monitored, having them in the filter means they'll automatically be released as needed, reducing the amount of maintenance you'll have to perform.

If filter height is important, 24206 is 5.4 inches tall, 4071 is 4.3 inches tall, and 4070 is 5.2 inches tall. So if you're height limited, make sure the filter will screw on and off.

If you're pulling off a 4071, I'd install a 4071.
Thanks for this info. I assume the height thing applies to all the other filters as well since for the fuel filter I was given multiple height selections. As for the 4071, its a Napa brand. I wanted to go with all the same brand, as the previous owner had multiple brands installed and I chose Wix even though I know they make Napa filters. I guess the height I measured on my current fuel filter didn't match up with the heights the sales rep mentioned because of brand differentiation?

Few questions:

1. When you mentioned anything about the 4070 filter did you mean 24070, or were you referring to a different Napa filter? I ask because Napa filters do have only 4dm digits in their part numbers, at least that I've seen. Sorry if anything is confusing.

2. Would you just stick to swapping out all the filters with the exact same brands currently installed, as opposed to going with Wix etc like I'm doing?

Edit:

3. Also, do you just generally know this stuff or just know where to look? If the latter, can you share with me where to get the right info?

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2020, 03:13 PM   #14
Bus Geek

1. My mistake, 24070. But the 24070 and the 4070 are identical. One is wix brand, the other is napa. Same filter aside from some ink on the can.

2. Whatever brand you decide to go with, I'd use that brand for all of them. Get every filter you need all in one shot, that way you have a neat record for when you need to buy them again. Whether it's napa, o'reilly, amazon or wherever, get them all from the same place. So if that means changing a filter over to a different brand, then do so.

So you CAN swap brands. We're a napa auto care center, so I primarily use napa filters. I've used oem filters, baldwin filters, and hastings filters because of a lack of local availability at napa. Most name brands are quality, the other brands are just higher priced then what I can typically get a napa filter for.

As mentioned earlier by someone else, most avoid fram, and that's something I recommend as well

3. Both. I know where to look, and I know what I'm looking at too. I'm looking on napa prolink, it requires a username and password that you get when you open a commercial account at your local napa store. I cross the numbers you post here over to something that is on my local shelf, and then read off the spec's.

So you're wix #24070 from amazon translates to a 4070 from napa. Since it's wix, it's identical to it's napa counterpart.

The Napa # 4071 needs no translation, I can see it on my napa prolink.

The wix # 24206 from oreilly's translates to a 4206 from napa. Likewise, since it's a wix filter, it's identical to it's napa counterpart.

FYI, if you're buying wix filters, your napa # 4071 crosses over to a # 24071 wix filter.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:47 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Thanks for taking the time to cross brand/part numbers for me. Having an account must be very convenient.

If I get the part numbers of all the filters currently installed I'm trying to replace can you get the Wix cross part numbers? Or could could you just get the Wix branded filters part numbers without them? Would you need the current part numbers to cross from? That would make it easier for me instead of asking multiple auto parts stores where some of the reps don't seem sure. Also, I'm sure I've gotten different answers from the same store but different locations. I interested in seeing if what I got from them matches up to what you'll come up with. Also wanna see if it matches up with what's on Amazon.

Thanks again!
Old 11-17-2020, 07:19 AM   #16
Bus Geek

If you want to go with wix, use their interchange on the left side of the page here. https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/filterlookup.aspx

Then search for your results on amazon and you have what you need.
Old 11-17-2020, 12:04 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
If you want to go with wix, use their interchange on the left side of the page here. https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/filterlookup.aspx

Then search for your results on amazon and you have what you need.
Just what I needed. In fact, I was on there before you started helping me out but didn't know what to do there as far as cross referencing. Was able to find all the Wix branded filters on Amazon using the Wix site

Got a few more questions before I make the purchase..

1. I've seen people pre-fill replacment filters with like oil, fuel or coolant before installing them. Is this always necessary or only on certain engines? Maybe on mechanical and not electric?

2. How would I find if I have a fuel/water separator on this bus? I looked all around and figured it might be in a location hard to see or hidden. Even checked in the back

Edit:

3. Do you know what the difference is between oil filter Wix 51799 and 52799mp? I'm assuming mp stands for maxxpro or something? Maybe that's just the iPhone lol

Thanks
Old 11-17-2020, 12:21 PM   #18
Bus Geek

1. I don't prefill filters. Most OEM's recommend against it because what your filling it with is "unfiltered" and they don't want those unfiltered fluids going downstream of the filter. They're is typically a method to prime fuel filters and such so as to not need to prefill.

If you do prefill, never prefill through the center hole, only the outside holes. The center hole is where the filtered fluid comes out of. So filling through the outside holes means the fluid your filling will be filtered.

2. Easiest way is to follow the fuel lines. Either go from the tank forward, or the lift pump back, but following the lines is the easiest way to find it. Some buses don't have a primary filter/water separator. I don't like that they don't, but that's how the district ordered it. You'll find it on one of the frame rails. The last 3800 I worked on had it under the hood on the frame on the passenger side, near the tire.
Old 11-17-2020, 12:32 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
1. I don't prefill filters. Most OEM's recommend against it because what your filling it with is "unfiltered" and they don't want those unfiltered fluids going downstream of the filter. They're is typically a method to prime fuel filters and such so as to not need to prefill.

If you do prefill, never prefill through the center hole, only the outside holes. The center hole is where the filtered fluid comes out of. So filling through the outside holes means the fluid your filling will be filtered.

2. Easiest way is to follow the fuel lines. Either go from the tank forward, or the lift pump back, but following the lines is the easiest way to find it. Some buses don't have a primary filter/water separator. I don't like that they don't, but that's how the district ordered it. You'll find it on one of the frame rails. The last 3800 I worked on had it under the hood on the frame on the passenger side, near the tire.

Thanks. I actually read up on that about why not to pre-fill but forgot about it.

Also, disregard the 3rd question. Mp stands for "master pack" which comes with multiple filters in bulk, like 6. Other than that there is no difference, at least from what I found.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:11 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Didn't see your 3rd Q, but yes, mp is for masterpack. That's how we order filters and therefore get them a few bucks cheaper per filter.