Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2020, 04:26 PM   #1

Finding work/shop space

For those of you doing conversions who can't park your bus where you live (I don't imagine my landlord would look at me too fondly if I parked a bus on her lawn), how have you been able to find space to park and work - especially since it seems as though many conversions are multi-year projects.

I've been reaching out through the grapevine and coming up short, as well as not having luck on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace. My next thought is to reach out to some industrial parks and see if someone might be ok with me doing it there, but I'm not even sure who to contact about that (do I ask individual companies if I can use a big parking space and [pay to] steal some power with an extension cord? Do I try and find the owner of the whole industrial park? Color me confused)

Just curious if there are avenues I haven't thought of. I definitely don't want to run into an issue before even purchasing a bus.

Lissaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:41 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
We found ours on Craigslist in an RV & Boat Parking ad. It was just some guy out in the far suburbs of Chicago trying to make extra money to help offset his property taxes. He had a bunch of boats and RVs there, as well as some other storage. It wasn't a corporate storage place. As long as we didn't paint or make a nuisance of ourselves he let us build there. I'd look for something like that. We had also looked into a Truck storage place closer to home, and they would let us build there too but probably not as accommodating and much more expensive.
Call around to storage yards and see what they say.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:12 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I found my current spot by just driving around. Guy owns a pool supply business and rents half his lot to a U-Haul place, other half for RVs and work trailers and whatnot - I noticed all the RVs as I was driving past. Tried to contact him for months while my bus was at another spot getting robbed periodically, but he was avoiding me because he'd rented to another skoolier before and the dude had dumped his seats in one of pool guy's outbuildings and split without paying rent. When I finally cornered him, he agreed to rent me a spot and negotiated me down to $75 a month. No lease or signed anything, and he could care less whether I have a registration and insurance (although I do).

Having a place that provides electricity is not so important as I originally imagined. It's very easy to get a cheap used generator on Craigslist and run that when you need. A source of running water and a sewer would be much more useful than electricity. When you're painting and seam-sealing and whatnot, having stuff be really well cleaned is very important, and it's a pain in the ass to haul water around in five-gallon jerrycans.