Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2016, 08:58 PM   #1

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 47
First Conversion-Parking Break Won't Hold-HELP!!!

I have purchased a 1999 International Bus to convert into a tailgating bus. I need to get it inspected but have to fix the parking break first (I think). The parking break will not hold. I have no idea how to fix. Can anyone help me out? It's a 3800 T444E Hydraulic Break System. Thanks in advance for your help & advice.

Meat_Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:40 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Rated Cap: 14
You'll have a parking brake lever. Typically the "cap" will screw in/out for adjustment. Mine is at it's limit, so it's time for me to removes the driveshaft brake and get the shoes re-lined (about $20-25 each); the drum I hope is fine (it should be).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:50 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTrans
Chassis: International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_Machine View Post
I have purchased a 1999 International Bus to convert into a tailgating bus. I need to get it inspected but have to fix the parking break first (I think). The parking break will not hold. I have no idea how to fix. Can anyone help me out? It's a 3800 T444E Hydraulic Break System. Thanks in advance for your help & advice.
Yup, exact same setup as me. I thought the same thing "Oh no my E-brake doesn't work and I need to learn how to get it fixed!!!" Well, just as mentioned above, all I needed to do was turn the knob on the brake lever clockwise until the cable tightened up a bit. Adjust the knob while the brake is disengaged and you will be able to feel the difference when you engage it. If that doesn't work then you may need to replace the brake shoes. From what I have been told doing the shoes is actually pretty easy. You should be able to see the drum and assembly right at the back of the transmission where the driveshaft connects. I believe there is also a cable adjustment at the end if needed.

Now, the additional question I have is; would this parking brake be adequate to stop the bus in the event of a brake failure? Seems like everyone bashes hydraulic brakes because if they fail you cant stop, but this parking brake configuration is completely independent of the hydraulic system so should still in theory work, no?
WhiteWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:46 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
If everything is in proper working order yes it should stop the bus or at least slow the driveline down to a manège able ditch speed before the whole enchilada gets to hot and gives up? Sorry worst case scenario like a downhill runaway.
I worked for a man that had a 68-69 ish dump truck with the same set up with the same set up and I always set the parking brake when loading just cause of habit and never had a problem. So one day we were cutting down trees around a house and all was going good until we got this ol oak tree that as we were cutting the wedge the tree started leaning towards the house so it was the ol truck to the rescue with a rope I put some tension on the rope but it being a dump truck couldn't see the man cutting and had no spotter so I popped out of the door on the running board to signal the man I was ready but the second he started cutting the tree started headin my way so I jumped in through it 1st instead of granny gear and no movement (what the ) I was in a hurry and didn't release the parking brake but once I did I got about 2' cause the driveshaft snapped into(DA) not because of the load but because I released the parking brake with an engine load and instead of taking off it said he'll no.
The top of the tree did land in and around the bed of the truck so less work for me (cause we were hand bucking these at the time) while my boss went and had a new shaft made.
My lesson learned was if you hit the peddle and no go it could be the parking brake but back off of the engine before hit it.
Can't say yours will stop you on a downhill slide though? It is trying to slow the motor,tranny and the rear end at the same time so in my mind you need to make sure you can downshift to help it out and know/practice it before you need to.
Not trying to say go all out and flat spot your tires are blow up your parking brake and dru? Just know the procedure in your head and body movement if/when the OS moment does happen.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:45 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
You'll have a parking brake lever. Typically the "cap" will screw in/out for adjustment. Mine is at it's limit, so it's time for me to removes the driveshaft brake and get the shoes re-lined (about $20-25 each); the drum I hope is fine (it should be).
There should be an adjustment on the cable under the bus also.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:42 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
I'll be; i saw that drum upon inspection but wasn't sure what it was and now i know thanks to this thread. Seems a good system.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:47 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Rated Cap: 36
I've played with my driveline parking brake while going down hills before. It helps, but it doesn't provide significant stopping power while cruising. It is, after all, one small drum brake. I'd say it's roughly the size of a brake drum you'd see on a 1/2 ton pickup. And of course, there's only one of them vs four on the wheel. AND the drive shaft is spinning much faster than the wheels. Sure, use it in an emergency, but don't expect a whole lot

Note that any modern hydraulic brake system is split into two branches feeding two wheels each. On my International the split is both front to one branch and both rear to another. If a line snapped at the front wheel I'd still have the rear brakes. Unless something catastrophic happens to the master brake cylinder you will have some braking capability.

Also, mine has an electric brake booster so that if the engine dies you still have brake boost.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:44 PM   #8

Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Rated Cap: 47
Thumbs up Problem Fixed

Just to update all of you...the problem has been fixed. Thanks to this thread and some great outside advice, I figured out that I had to adjust the lever inside the bus and also go underneath and adjust. Now, break works great! Thanks to everyone for all your help! I'm sure I'll be posting more threads requesting help again in the future. Keep in mind this is my first skoolie project! ;)
Meat_Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:52 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4skool View Post
There should be an adjustment on the cable under the bus also.
Yep! And it, too, has been adjusted to it's limit. Fortunately re-lining the shoes isn't terribly expensive, I just need some dry weather to crawl under it to do it.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 03:30 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Chassis: International
Has anyone found a write-up on how to properly adjust this driveline brake? Parameters would be what I'm look for. For instance, check underneath for so much play, then adjust the handle inside... etc.
Diverdude0075 is offline   Reply With Quote