Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-04-2019, 07:55 PM   #21
Bus Crazy
 
Sleddgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: south east BC, close to the Canadian/US border
Posts: 2,265
Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthews2001 View Post
Hey sleddgracer, you mentioned you need an air ticket in Canada?
I'm a southern vermonter newbie, will be Alaska bound this June and crossing into Canada in Buffalo. They will require something cause I have air brakes?
yes, any vehicle with air brakes requires the operator to have an upgraded license - it doesn't have to be a commercial ticket

Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:49 PM   #22
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 10,236
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Some found out the hard way and were parked until they had an endorsed driver, or were turned around and sent back. Air endorsement here is just a written test that you can get on line and know all the answers. It's short and quite easy and entails nothing more than what you should know about an air brake system. I went to get one here in Ga. and they looked at me like I was an alien wanting to know WTF I was talking about. I tried to educate them on the endorsement as I had done my homework and knew what I needed. They tried to tell me I needed to get the CDL and that would cover the air brake endorsement. I was trying to convince them I only needed the air endorsement for my private RV. That's when she said "Look at the back of your license and tell me what you can drive." And there it was : Class CM-26000lbs GVWR and Trailer 10000lbs. All Recreation Vehicles, and 2 or 3 wheeled motorcycles.
I asked "regardless of weight or braking system?" She said "What's your definition of "ALL". I said Thank you and walked out with my tail between my legs.
o1marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:05 PM   #23
Bus Nut
 
tugboater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Palmer, AK
Posts: 279
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf T Liner MVP 11 window 32’
Engine: CAT 3126E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthews2001 View Post
Hey sleddgracer, you mentioned you need an air ticket in Canada?
I'm a southern vermonter newbie, will be Alaska bound this June and crossing into Canada in Buffalo. They will require something cause I have air brakes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
yes, any vehicle with air brakes requires the operator to have an upgraded license - it doesn't have to be a commercial ticket
What the hell is an airbrake endorsement ? I bought my bus in Spokane & drove it home a year ago. Through BC, AB & YT...had no problems. Many of the weigh stations only call out for commercial vehicles. None of this means you won't have issues. Just sharing my experience last spring. This is an often debated subject on here. I recommend doing your research on here & other sources, but ultimately make your decision based on laws that you read. I found that Canadian law says you must have the air-brake endorsement, but they technically are supposed to honor reciprocity laws with the US. I was not 100% certain I was good to go, but close enough. I will not hesitate to drive back through again without it. I do recommend having a full understanding of how they work, for your own safety & in case you need to talk your way out of the country. I was well prepared to demonstrate to any RCMP that I knew how they work. I'll see if I can dig up the links to what I found...
__________________
One...slow...step...at a time.
tugboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:11 PM   #24
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 10,236
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboater View Post
What the hell is an airbrake endorsement ? I bought my bus in Spokane & drove it home a year ago. Through BC, AB & YT...had no problems. Many of the weigh stations only call out for commercial vehicles. None of this means you won't have issues. Just sharing my experience last spring. This is an often debated subject on here. I recommend doing your research on here & other sources, but ultimately make your decision based on laws that you read. I found that Canadian law says you must have the air-brake endorsement, but they technically are supposed to honor reciprocity laws with the US. I was not 100% certain I was good to go, but close enough. I will not hesitate to drive back through again without it. I do recommend having a full understanding of how they work, for your own safety & in case you need to talk your way out of the country. I was well prepared to demonstrate to any RCMP that I knew how they work. I'll see if I can dig up the links to what I found...
I assume you were coming from AK into Canada? I wonder if border crossing is different from there than coming north into southern Canada?
o1marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:40 PM   #25
Bus Nut
 
tugboater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Palmer, AK
Posts: 279
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf T Liner MVP 11 window 32’
Engine: CAT 3126E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I assume you were coming from AK into Canada? I wonder if border crossing is different from there than coming north into southern Canada?
o1marc- Negative. I bought the bus in Spokane & entered Canada from Idaho at the Porthill crossing. I entered Alaska at the ALcan crossing, through YT. The Idahocrossing is typically only used by locals that pass back and fourth for work or shopping. The Alaska crossing backs up for miles with motor homes in the summer. I am 100% sure the border patrol won't stop to check you for air brakes, it's not what they "do". If anyone investigates it will be at the weigh station...if you stop, or a picky RMCP. The border patrol asked what I was doing & where I was headed. They asked about a couple dipshit decisions I made when I was 20 (I was honest) & then they waved said, "cool bus, drive safe, see ya!" or something along those lines. I'm close to finding the language that should help...will post.
__________________
One...slow...step...at a time.
tugboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:53 PM   #26
Bus Crazy
 
Sleddgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: south east BC, close to the Canadian/US border
Posts: 2,265
Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboater View Post
What the hell is an airbrake endorsement ? I bought my bus in Spokane & drove it home a year ago. Through BC, AB & YT...had no problems. Many of the weigh stations only call out for commercial vehicles. None of this means you won't have issues. Just sharing my experience last spring. This is an often debated subject on here. I recommend doing your research on here & other sources, but ultimately make your decision based on laws that you read. I found that Canadian law says you must have the air-brake endorsement, but they technically are supposed to honor reciprocity laws with the US. I was not 100% certain I was good to go, but close enough. I will not hesitate to drive back through again without it. I do recommend having a full understanding of how they work, for your own safety & in case you need to talk your way out of the country. I was well prepared to demonstrate to any RCMP that I knew how they work. I'll see if I can dig up the links to what I found...
I phoned, got the web page I needed to look at and read it carefully - you need to pass the test to be legal - an important part of the test is knowing how to adjust your air brakes - - - https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensin...orsements.aspx
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #27
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 6,398
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have crossed at Lynden and Detroit-Windsor driving an air brake equipped Eagle 10.

I had zero issues. However, I have met two couples from AZ that got turned away at the border because they lacked an air brake endorsement.

I would recommend trying to get the endorsement if you can.

Here in WA there is no such thing as an air brake endorsement available for a non-commercial license. I you have a CDL you can get one.

I looked at VT's website and it looks like you may be in the same boat.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:13 PM   #28
Bus Nut
 
tugboater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Palmer, AK
Posts: 279
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf T Liner MVP 11 window 32’
Engine: CAT 3126E
Rated Cap: 72
written message from ICBC about reciprocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
I phoned, got the web page I needed to look at and read it carefully - you need to pass the test to be legal - an important part of the test is knowing how to adjust your air brakes - - - https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensin...orsements.aspx
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthews2001 View Post
Hey sleddgracer, you mentioned you need an air ticket in Canada?
I'm a southern vermonter newbie, will be Alaska bound this June and crossing into Canada in Buffalo. They will require something cause I have air brakes?
I searched for hours yesterday hoping to find the written language in simple terms that backs up everyone's claims about reciprocity. I couldn't find it, So instead I wrote ICBC and asked THE reciprocity question. I have written (in an email) correspondence from the Canadian Gov. that should clear up everyone's concern. I plan on carrying a copy of the email when I travel through Canada, as well as the language in Alaskan code that shows I'm legal in my home state.

Here's a copy & paste of the correspondence...word for word.

My question/statement:

I hold a non-commercial, Class D drivers licence in the state of Alaska, where I reside.
Class D defined: Class D is the license used for operating any non-commercial motor
vehicles with Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 26,000 pounds or less, including
passenger cars or trucks, vehicles designed to carry 15 passengers or less including the
driver, or recreational vehicles.
I own a recreational vehicle with air-brakes and would like to travel through Canada with
my family. Restrictions for air brakes only exist for commercial vehicles in Alaska, so I am
legal to drive with my Class D license.
It is my understanding that BC residents, and actually all Canadians are required to
obtain an air brake endorsement to operate any vehicle with said brakes. However, it is
also my understanding that the United States and Canada have a reciprocal agreement
that honors the licensing laws of each province/state in which one is licensed.

Am I correct in believing that I can drive my RV with air-brakes in Canada, without an air
brake endorsement, as long as I am legally to operate it in my own state?

I appreciate any insight and advice you may provide to shed light on my question.

thx Eric N



Here is what they responded with:

Hello Eric,



Thank you for your email.



You are permitted to operate the same type of vehicles in British Columbia that you can operate on your home jurisdiction driver’s licence. However, the burden of proof is on you to provide documents that verify you are able to operate vehicles equipped with air brakes without having an air brake endorsement if you are ever requested by law enforcement to prove this.

Sincerely,

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Robert


I'd be happy to post the pdf version of the conversation if anyone wants it.
__________________
One...slow...step...at a time.
tugboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:31 PM   #29
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 10,236
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
On my license it says "All recreation vehicles". And it was verified that "All" exempted weight and brake system. Does yours just say " recreation vehicles?
o1marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:45 PM   #30
Bus Nut
 
tugboater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Palmer, AK
Posts: 279
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf T Liner MVP 11 window 32’
Engine: CAT 3126E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
On my license it says "All recreation vehicles". And it was verified that "All" exempted weight and brake system. Does yours just say " recreation vehicles?
Mine just says Class D. It says nothing about any vehicles on my actual licence. In Alaska, air brake endorsements only apply in a commercial capacity. They are listed as a restriction, similar to HazMat, passenger & tractor/trailer. Each has a letter designation. When you pass the individual test for each restriction, it will (the letter) get removed from your CDL. I don't have a CDL. My bus is already registered as an RV, which I can drive with a class D.
__________________
One...slow...step...at a time.
tugboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:04 PM   #31
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 10,236
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboater View Post
Mine just says Class D. It says nothing about any vehicles on my actual licence. In Alaska, air brake endorsements only apply in a commercial capacity. They are listed as a restriction, similar to HazMat, passenger & tractor/trailer. Each has a letter designation. When you pass the individual test for each restriction, it will (the letter) get removed from your CDL. I don't have a CDL. My bus is already registered as an RV, which I can drive with a class D.
It doesn't say on the back of the license what you can drive?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190405_215816.jpg (63.8 KB, 5 views)
o1marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:10 PM   #32
Bus Geek
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 8,462
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Hey Cadillac...you will always be welcome here in Texas!



Of course, if you wind up in my neighborhood, be prepared for begging of your expertise (just like everywhere else you go, I would imagine.)



Still have those loose Allison wires to sort out...and...REHAB awaits!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:18 PM   #33
Bus Nut
 
tugboater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Palmer, AK
Posts: 279
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf T Liner MVP 11 window 32’
Engine: CAT 3126E
Rated Cap: 72
First Long Road Trip Advice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
It doesn't say on the back of the license what you can drive?


nope

if I had a CDL it would list that as an endorsement & then have a bunch of restrictions until I tested out of them.
__________________
One...slow...step...at a time.
tugboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:20 PM   #34
Bus Crazy
 
Sleddgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: south east BC, close to the Canadian/US border
Posts: 2,265
Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
because of the way the law is worded in BC, I would suggest strongly that anyone driving a vehicle with air brakes that doesn't have an air endorsement, be sure to bring all the pertinent documents with them, including a copy of the letter from ICBC when coming into BC, because sure as hell there will be some law enforcement somewhere that isn't aware of that ruling and might give you a real hassle - it's not uncommon here for the DOT to have road blocks and they'll pull over anyone they have suspicions about and do a road side vehicle inspection right there - if you say so much as 'damn' with some of the inspectors, they'll make you go to the end of the line and wait - been there done that, because I said, 'damn, I'm already late for work'
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:26 PM   #35
Bus Nut
 
tugboater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Palmer, AK
Posts: 279
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf T Liner MVP 11 window 32’
Engine: CAT 3126E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
because of the way the law is worded in BC, I would suggest strongly that anyone driving a vehicle with air brakes that doesn't have an air endorsement, be sure to bring all the pertinent documents with them, including a copy of the letter from ICBC when coming into BC, because sure as hell there will be some law enforcement somewhere that isn't aware of that ruling and might give you a real hassle - it's not uncommon here for the DOT to have road blocks and they'll pull over anyone they have suspicions about and do a road side vehicle inspection right there - if you say so much as 'damn' with some of the inspectors, they'll make you go to the end of the line and wait - been there done that, because I said, 'damn, I'm already late for work'
I agree 100% sled. Be prepared...and have a solid understanding of how they work...because they are different than the brakes we're all used to
__________________
One...slow...step...at a time.
tugboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:53 PM   #36
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 8
Guns in Canada.

No hand guns are allowed in Canada . You have to ship them to where your going ahead of time. You can and probably will lose your bus/motor home, face jail time and/or a huge fine and be banned from ever entering Canada again if you found in possession of them.


Long guns you need to check with the border patrol before you bring them into the country. Some are allowed and some aren't. Semi automatic weapons are not allowed.


Canada has extremely strict gun laws.


Steve.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:01 PM   #37
Bus Crazy
 
Sleddgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: south east BC, close to the Canadian/US border
Posts: 2,265
Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
No hand guns are allowed in Canada . You have to ship them to where your going ahead of time. You can and probably will lose your bus/motor home, face jail time and/or a huge fine and be banned from ever entering Canada again if you found in possession of them.


Long guns you need to check with the border patrol before you bring them into the country. Some are allowed and some aren't. Semi automatic weapons are not allowed.


Canada has extremely strict gun laws.


Steve.
yeah, no fooling around with the customs guys, they have no sense of humour at all when it comes to their job - get caught with trying to sneak a gun across the border and not only will the consequences be as Steve said, but you will be arrested as well
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:03 PM   #38
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 8
Here is a link to the import laws for U.S. citizens bringing guns into Canada. Some semi automatic weapons are allowed into Canada apparently. My nephew is an Royal Canadian Mounted Police constable and they take a really dim view of hand guns unless you have the proper paper work.


The R.C.M.P. are a federal police force and could be compared to the F.B.I. They enforce the provincial laws but are hired by the provinces from the Canadian Government. They are also responsible for national security and government criminal investigations.


Nice people to be on the right side of.



I live 20 minutes from both the Pacific border crossing and the Douglas {Peace Arch} border crossing and hear about people trying to bring guns that they haven't cleared before hand. It never goes well.


Not trying to frighten anyone but I don't want your visit to our country ruined either. Come and visit us and enjoy all we have to offer. Remember the 100 speed limit you see on the highway isn't MPH. It's kilometers and translates into 62 mph. Just look at the speed limit and multiply the first number or numbers if there are three by six. Like this 50 is 5x6= 30. Actually it's 6.2 but 6 is easiest.


Hope your trip goes well. My son lives in Bennington VT.


Steve.


https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...KRte-WeGx9_qkl
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:23 PM   #39
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 8
Here is a link to what guns can be brought into Canada and how.


https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...T71IgZln1j10_S
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:40 PM   #40
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Maine
Posts: 12
Year: 1986
Coachwork: Grumman
Chassis: P30
Engine: Cummins 4BT 3.9
Rated Cap: Full load of Frito Lay Ch
My advice is to install a cruise control, if it doesn't already have one. I have made two long distance moves in school buses and I installed cruise controls in both buses. My wife stenciled "Grapes of Wrath Moving Company" on the first one and we got a lot of honks, waves, and thumbs up.
Pizzarco43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.