Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Tc2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummings turbo diesel
First Real Question, Second post. Diesel Stove…

Has anyone here used one of the Marine Diesel Stoves in their skoolie? We had one in our sail boat, and I loved it. Thinking about putting one in the skoolie, that way I would have a single fuel source for my bus, stove, and generator.

Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, to liberty, to abundance, to selfishness, to complacency, to apathy, to dependence, and back again to bondage.
kc_4_jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: First Real Question, Second post. Diesel Stove…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr LuLu
... I don't see any reason why you couldn't use a diesel stove except that it burns, well, diesel Money to burn I say! I agree though, diesel stoves work great on boats... I've warmed many a wet, soggy, gloves with diesel stoves.
Lots of folks heat with diesel. It's just not called that. When used for heating, it's called "Home Heating Fuel" and "#2 Kerosine" (no dye, no road taxes). We had an old "Warm Morning Oil Heater" in our house on Upper Burningtown (replaced with a wood stove and an LP gas furnace for a backup). We've also used portable kerosine space heaters for decades (mostly Aladdin brand). Our last winter in NC, the home heating fuel/#2 kerosine actually cost more than on the road diesel. So much more that my cousins, who heated with diesel oil, seriously considered putting our old heating oil tank in the back of a truck (probably ours) and going down to GA to buy diesel (it was only 30 miles and GA gas/diesel is always cheaper just across the state line). I like redundancy. I would rather have the option of two different fuels to heat with. In our case, it will be LP and electric. Electric, because we sometimes have the electric included in our site rental. And LP because if LP is cheaper than electric or we are "unplugged" we can use LP. I can fill an LP tank almost everywhere and I have exchanged LP tanks late at night (Amerigas has some self-service tank exchanges). I already cook with LP and electric (LP range & Microwave). I would like to have a diesel generator, but I have a POS gas Onan, in pieces, sitting in the bus so that is what I will end up with, at least temporarily. So we are looking at having 3 fuel sources already... diesel (bus engine), LP (range cooking/heating/water heater) and AC (general power/heating/microwave cooking)

The big question you need to ask is not what fuel to use but how are you going to use the bus? Sit down and decide how you want to use it now and possibly later down the road. From there, you need to decide how much of a pain it will be to refuel with diesel, LP, electric and/or wood or pellets (if it floats your boat) both at home base or on the road far away from home. I'm partial to the Newport Marine heater, I think it's the prettiest. I considered them when we were working on the Eagle and before our lives changed so much.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote