Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2016, 10:56 AM   #1

first time buyer just learning about brands and deals

I'm brand new to this forum, and haven't bought my bus yet (still in planning stages). Quick question.... I found a bus for sale that is a 1999 Amtran Genesis . It has 22,718 miles on it. Runs on diesel fuel. 84 seats. Chassis - IHC. Engine - DT466. And it's only $6,400 through a dealer. To me that seems like a steal. What's wrong? Like I said, I'm just barely in the door and learning about the different kinds of buses out there and have very little idea what to look for in purchasing one. I hope to buy one in Apr, May, June (at the latest. So, I'm spending the winter studying up. Any thoughts on this particular bus? Thanks!

isaruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:38 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: E-450
Engine: 7.3 Turbo
We're in the process of finding our first bus too, but we have already spent hours and hours and hours looking at bus listings. That bus sounds nice, but from what we've found the price sounds high actually. You can get great busses in the $2500-$5000 range. That mileage is certainly super low, but keep in mind that we're talking about diesels so 100,000+ miles isn't a big deal at all...

If you have that much time before buying, I'd start reviewing features individually and then start ranking them (must have, would like to have, must not have, etc...) That way pulling the trigger will be much easier when you find the right one!
PigPen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:13 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 83
I would be very skeptical about that mileage. A 1999 with 22,xxx miles on it? If you can verify the mileage I say buy it but I would think that it has turned over at least once or been replaced. Also, check it out real good for rust due to winter roads/salt in WI. Just go over it with a fine tooth comb. Everywhere! Try to get service records if possible. My main concern would be the mileage. That is pretty much unheard of. Welcome and good luck. Oh yeah, talk the price down as far as you can.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:38 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
Is it the mechanical dt466 or the electronic dt466e? If it is somehow still mechanical, and the mileage is legt, get it!

Those are are unicorn engines--that very least run of mechanical DT466s.

What kind of transmission? Air suspension? How are the tires?

If its an MT643 or electronic allison (with overdrive) that would be a selling point (to me)
If it has air suspension, that would be another BIG plus.
And if the tires have about 80% or better, I'd be very happy.
If it somehow was a mechanical engine, too. I think that is an incredibly great price for a really solid platform.
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:13 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: E-450
Engine: 7.3 Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_m View Post
Is it the mechanical dt466 or the electronic dt466e? If it is somehow still mechanical, and the mileage is legt, get it!

Those are are unicorn engines--that very least run of mechanical DT466s.

What kind of transmission? Air suspension? How are the tires?

If its an MT643 or electronic allison (with overdrive) that would be a selling point (to me)
If it has air suspension, that would be another BIG plus.
And if the tires have about 80% or better, I'd be very happy.
If it somehow was a mechanical engine, too. I think that is an incredibly great price for a really solid platform.
Listen to this guy ^^^ and disregard my much less informed opinion!
PigPen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:40 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Threads like this make me happy to own my bus!
I got lucky on the air ride, abs, auto slack adjusters, underside storage, and radiator shutters! All I was looking for was a 466 with anything better than a 545.

The 466 is a great engine. Mine is the lowest hp rated version and still pulls nicely. Starts quicker than my 2013 Subaru too.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote