My fiancť and I are very new to this lifestyle, and are looking for our first bus. We are very excited to start going but have been very timid about actually purchasing a bus.
Iíve done a lot of research (scoured these forums for hours lol) and I feel like I have grasp of the basics of what to look for. Specifically we want a short bus for traveling for a week out of every month. A few years down the line we would look for either another bus or remodel this one to live in.
Our budget for the bus is $5000-$7000. For the renovation we will probably do it piece by piece.
So hereís a few things I havenít found definitive answers for:
1. Gasoline or Diesel?
- where I live it seems gas engines are aplenty, diesels are too just not as much
- Obviously diesel gets better mileage, is easier to take care of, has less problems, last longer, etcÖbut are gas engines just a complete ďnoĒ even if we are only planning on traveling once a month?
- What are the benefits of a gas engine other than more newer options?
2. What are my options? Ford? Chevy? International?
- most of the shorties I see are ford and chevy, thus they are van cutaways
- Ford 6.0 is a no, Ford 7.3 is a yesÖ correct?
- I donít know much about the engines in Chevyís, Iíve seen a lot of 6.5l which would be Detroit right?
- International with a 5.9 Cummins is what Iíve been searching high and low for, but have yet to see one. Iím sure they go quick. Iíve seen one international shorty with a T444e but Iíve heard mixed things.
- Are there any suggestions other than steer clear of AT545?
- Is there a top tier transmission compared to the others?
4. Ceiling Height? Roof raise?
- We are both pretty short lol. I am 5í7Ē, she is 5í2Ē. So this isnít a huge deal, but should we consider it? We do plan on adding a skylight (budget permitting)
5. Rust (ew)
- Rust can be a major problem from what I see, especially since I am in the Midwest. They salt the roads where I live (southern Illinois), but not like the northern Midwest or the northeast. Maybe 2-3 times a year. Is this still an issue?
6. Age? Is pre 04/05 ABSOLUTELY necessary?
- I know emissions control for diesel came into effect in 04 for most engines. Should this discount any diesel pre 2004?
- I know this doesnít really apply to gas engines
Thanks so much for reading and the help!!