Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2023, 02:47 PM   #1

First-Timer Short Bus Help!!

Hi!

My fiancé and I are very new to this lifestyle, and are looking for our first bus. We are very excited to start going but have been very timid about actually purchasing a bus.

I’ve done a lot of research (scoured these forums for hours lol) and I feel like I have grasp of the basics of what to look for. Specifically we want a short bus for traveling for a week out of every month. A few years down the line we would look for either another bus or remodel this one to live in.

Our budget for the bus is $5000-$7000. For the renovation we will probably do it piece by piece.
So here’s a few things I haven’t found definitive answers for:

1. Gasoline or Diesel?
- where I live it seems gas engines are aplenty, diesels are too just not as much
- Obviously diesel gets better mileage, is easier to take care of, has less problems, last longer, etc…but are gas engines just a complete “no” even if we are only planning on traveling once a month?
- What are the benefits of a gas engine other than more newer options?

2. What are my options? Ford? Chevy? International?
- most of the shorties I see are ford and chevy, thus they are van cutaways
- Ford 6.0 is a no, Ford 7.3 is a yes… correct?
- I don’t know much about the engines in Chevy’s, I’ve seen a lot of 6.5l which would be Detroit right?
- International with a 5.9 Cummins is what I’ve been searching high and low for, but have yet to see one. I’m sure they go quick. I’ve seen one international shorty with a T444e but I’ve heard mixed things.

3. Transmission?
- Are there any suggestions other than steer clear of AT545?
- Is there a top tier transmission compared to the others?

4. Ceiling Height? Roof raise?
- We are both pretty short lol. I am 5’7”, she is 5’2”. So this isn’t a huge deal, but should we consider it? We do plan on adding a skylight (budget permitting)

5. Rust (ew)
- Rust can be a major problem from what I see, especially since I am in the Midwest. They salt the roads where I live (southern Illinois), but not like the northern Midwest or the northeast. Maybe 2-3 times a year. Is this still an issue?

6. Age? Is pre 04/05 ABSOLUTELY necessary?
- I know emissions control for diesel came into effect in 04 for most engines. Should this discount any diesel pre 2004?
- I know this doesn’t really apply to gas engines

Thanks so much for reading and the help!!

Amkren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion help, short bus