Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2018, 06:58 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 40' MVP-ER
Engine: Cat 3126
Flashing Lights up top!

Hello all,
What’s fun, cool or useful to convert these flashing lights to?

I was think flood lights but I was also just think to delete them.

Any ideas you would care to share?

-Shay

shaymcquaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:05 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
My front flashers are now covered by one continuous piece of aluminum - don't need 'em, and I hate seeing cheesy-looking individual patches over each light. The rear flashers have now been repurposed as extra high-mount brake lights: their 85W sealed-beam lamps are BRIGHT, so there's no way someone wouldn't be able to see them even in thick fog. These extra brake lights work only when the front foglights (proper Hellas with selective-yellow lamps, not like the useless little toy lights that are considered fog lights here) are switched on; the foglight switch also turns on a very bright Hella red rear foglight, something that again is standard in most European nations but unknown here! When the foglights are on, the extra brake lights come on whenever the brake light circuit powers a relay that used to be for the flip-out Stop sign. One nice thing is that when the foglights are on, the red indicator lamp for the flashers illuminates whenever I apply the brakes, very useful to remind me I still have the foglights switched on.

In thick fog or heavy rain I'm more concerned about some idiot behind me rear-ending me, so anything I can do to improve my visibility is well worth it.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:10 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Excellent plan!

It still amazes me when some yokel rams a 40' yellow school bus in broad daylight...then claims he didn't see it!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:49 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International FE
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84 passengers
Yep, I turned my rear flashers into additional brake lights and turn signals. I removed the original flashers and bought some additional red Weldon brake lights and turn signals from Unity Bus Parts and wired them into the other rear brake/turn signals. I turned the front flashers into additional marker lights. Again I just removed the original flasher lights and purchased some amber Weldon lights and wired them into other marker lights.
rensch26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:55 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 54
I replaced my front flashers with 7 inch white reverse lights, and covered the rear ones with individual patches i cut with an angle grinder.
eethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 09:08 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: fs65
Engine: 7.2 catapillar 3126
Rated Cap: 41 students
Regarding deleting 8 way lights AND modifying stock round tail lights and turn signals I wanted opinions on what I could fill the holes with if I intend to have the rig coated with something similar to textured bedliner.
I then will add aftermarket tail lights and turn signals

My question is if I could temporarily block out the holes with some basic material such as plexiglass or acrylic or maybe even thin wood Instead of the popular welding or riveting sheet metal method?

Once the texture sprays over any substrate it's equally solid. I've seen examples of how a foam cooler and a mason brick are coated and both withstand a sledgehammer.

Thoughts on most simple method? Thanks in advance

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200613_185650.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	45659