Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2020, 12:48 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Engine: DT466e
Flat-nose vs dog-nose

Hi! I'm looking to purchase a bus and would like to know: flat-nose or dog-nose? What do you all prefer and why? Thank you!

The bus will be used for recreational trips (not living on it full-time) for a family of 4. We plan on exploring the country; nothing crazy as far as terrain goes. I appreciate your comments in advance! Thank you!

claudrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 01:49 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Flat nose has more buildable floor space than a dog nose. Some say FE flat nose is hotter up front ( I didn't notice that). Some say the dog nose is easier to work on the engine, but I don't buy knowing I'm going to be doing a bunch of engine work. Flat nose takes a different technique while driving with the steer wheels behind you instead of in front of you.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:38 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I drive for a school district that has conventionals, pushers, and activity coaches, and I can honestly say that I prefer driving the pushers (RE flat nose/transit). It does definitely take a little getting used to as far as turning, perspective, and reference point, because you are sitting right up against the corner with the turning wheels behind you rather than having 6-7 feet of hood in front of you... But it is a MUCH smoother ride (in my opinion anyway) and MUCH quieter because the engine is in the back. Building a motorhome you can even further isolate/soundproof the engine box and it would be pretty much silent inside.
Taz420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:16 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudrea View Post
Hi! I'm looking to purchase a bus and would like to know: flat-nose or dog-nose? What do you all prefer and why? Thank you!

The bus will be used for recreational trips (not living on it full-time) for a family of 4. We plan on exploring the country; nothing crazy as far as terrain goes. I appreciate your comments in advance! Thank you!

Dognose has some advantages if you are going to be going off-pacement or anywhere where departure angle is important.

As has already been mentioned, the engine is much more accessible on a dognose

Flat FE (front engine) or RE (rear engine will have more buildable interior space) particularly the FE I think.

Flat RE is apparently queiter and cooler when driving (engine is all the way at the back of the bus. Engine is a little harder to work on I've heard and sometimes has cooling issues. Opens the possibility of big underbody storage bays.
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:41 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
i dont like using my legs for a front bumper
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:29 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: 6-71TA
Rated Cap: 90
My preferences

1. Mid-engine (Crown SC1) - Better looking than the rest. Better weight distribution Easy to work on (sides and top access). Can limit floor plan options.
2. Rear Engine - Engine noise mostly in rear and better under storage/compartment options
3. Front Engine - still more space than Dog nose but noisy up front.
4. Dog nose - More safe in front end collision but ugly.
GWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:31 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
I've noticed all school buses on the road around me are dog nose type. I haven't seen any flat nosed except for one and it was an older IC. I guess the schools are going cheaper it seems. Many BB vision buses. Seems to be the most popular that I see.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:07 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore6856 View Post
i dont like using my legs for a front bumper
I prefer to not crash
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:48 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus'n it View Post
I've noticed all school buses on the road around me are dog nose type. I haven't seen any flat nosed except for one and it was an older IC. I guess the schools are going cheaper it seems. Many BB vision buses. Seems to be the most popular that I see.
All of our pushers are older Thomas Saf-T-Liners with over 100k on them. They're mainly used for activities and such because they're 88 passenger. The main route fleet is much newer (Mine is a 2020 ) and all conventional 65 passenger Blue Birds. But like I said I love the pushers. When I eventually build something that'll be my platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
I prefer to not crash
Well said!
Taz420 is offline   Reply With Quote