Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2019, 02:55 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Collins
Engine: 6.0L Gas
Flo' Problems

So the floor is up and the aluminum sheet is full of near thousands of holes from the L-Tracks and a generous amount of rust. My original plan was to grind, convert, prime, paint, and slap a new sheet over top the old with tons of sealant. But the bolts holding the sheet to the frame came up in the process (held to frame with sealant). This got me thinking..

At this point, I could just rip off the old rusty sheet and start fresh. I would use the same dimensions and only be tracing a handful of old bolt holes to secure the new sheet down along with any cutouts necessary.

What'd ya think??

Thoughts: I figured a new sheet on top the old may invite some rust into any pockets that might exist.
Alum sheet about 15'x8', how much??

OnTheRoadW/theLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:56 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Aluminum sheet/rust?Don't know what bus you have. Use the UserCP and fill out your profile so we know what we are working with.If you have a school bus your floor is not aluminum, it will be steel. Aluminum can't rust. You will need to address and convert the existing rust before making any repair. Once converted and you can weld new sheet where needed and then prime and seal.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:40 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Collins
Engine: 6.0L Gas
My bad, not aluminium, definitely rusty sheet metal though and definitely a school bus, an '03 Chevy 6-Window. My question was, can I remove sheet metal and replace it with new sheet metal, or better yet, has anyone ever done this?

The sheet metal is not welded to the frame, but was bolted to perimeter and cross sections below. I just thought it would be easier to replace the sheet metal completely after prepping the frame it sits on. I've looked around and I'm kinda surprised nobody seems to have taken this route. Hope this makes some sense.

And yes, I will fill out my profile
OnTheRoadW/theLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:46 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Our van based E350 shorty "Elfbus" has an aluminum floor and aluminum can oxidize ( rust) pretty well. Mostly galvanic corrosion.

Later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:03 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Our van based E350 shorty "Elfbus" has an aluminum floor and aluminum can oxidize ( rust) pretty well. Mostly galvanic corrosion.

Later J
Rust is iron oxide, different than corrosion or oxidation on aluminum. Galvanic corrosion happens between dissimilar metals when it comes in contact with an electroiyte.
More than one build here has had to replace the floor panels due to rust. They are part of the body and not directly attached to the frame.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote