Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2018, 04:57 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

I ran across a YouTube vid the other day in which a guy used that 20 ton air/hydraulic HF jack to liven up an HF shop press. I cannot remember exactly but he referred to the air part on the back end as an "air pump" or "air engine" or similar, and the noise it made seemed to indicate that the air side of the device was some sort of an air motor that was an alternative source of pumping stroke power. As opposed to, pressurizing the oil directly with the input air. So, if those hydraulic jacks work upside down as a class of device, it might be worth your while to see if the air driven one does as well.

dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:03 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
Getting back to the plywood discussion, I would think it might be hard to get plywood to lay flat without attaching to some framing. Most plywood warps like a potato chip if not fastened or weighted down. Maybe construction adhesive use between the floor and foam, and then foam and plywood would suffice.
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:04 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: Cummins 8.3l 12v
Rated Cap: 84 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
The 12 ton is $30 cheaper and as you're getting 4 of them... more than enough to completely lift the bus if you were so inclined. Hell, one would lift mine fully loaded.
My exact thoughts too - 20 ton a corner?!
N'om'ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:07 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakbus View Post
Most plywood warps like a potato chip if not fastened or weighted down
Not my experience - some that has been badly stored does but yes, I'd glue everything and hold it down with buckets of water, bags of cement, whatever while the adhesive sets.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:22 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Yah, BC plywood is probably better than our south of the border stuff.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:58 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Yah, BC plywood is probably better than our south of the border stuff.
Hey, Sandpoint!.. Nice little town - I've stopped overnight there a couple of times.. Love that little 'German' pub just round the corner from the main drag..
Old 05-11-2018, 11:05 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Eichardts is the place! Revelstoke is a Beauty too. Been years since we've been up that far but love the BC skiing and biking.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:16 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Eichardts is the place! Revelstoke is a Beauty too. Been years since we've been up that far but love the BC skiing and biking.
Yup, that's it.. Awesome selection of beers.. Ya, Revy's ok! Well, if I'm ever down that way in ma girl I'll stop another night and give you a shout for a beer at Eichardts..
Old 05-12-2018, 12:45 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Sounds Good Good luck with the project
Old 05-12-2018, 01:14 AM   #30
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
Don't waste your money of leveling systems and hydraulics. Carry a few wooden blocks to park on. You only ever need to level one or two tires to even it up.

The Daily Driver Bus Build
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:20 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
Don't waste your money of leveling systems and hydraulics. Carry a few wooden blocks to park on. You only ever need to level one or two tires to even it up.
I've got mine parked on some scrap crate plywood mostly to keep the tires off the dirt. Rear driver's side is off by about a 1/4" I think. Not enough to worry about if I was using it but more than I want before cutting the roof off.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:58 AM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Floor options

I know the right insulation will hold the weight. I am using 1 inch polystyrene under 3/4 osb, just for my own personal comfort, I laid a 1.5 inch runner board under the osb directly under the main walking area, so the foam will never have to hold the weight. If the picture loads, you can see the runner.
Attached Thumbnails
20180514_180838.jpg  
estelle bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:03 AM   #33
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by estelle bus View Post
I know the right insulation will hold the weight. I am using 1 inch polystyrene under 3/4 osb, just for my own personal comfort, I laid a 1.5 inch runner board under the osb directly under the main walking area, so the foam will never have to hold the weight. If the picture loads, you can see the runner.
Good solution to concern of compression issues with the foam board. I like the theory.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:05 AM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

OSB is a very bad idea for a floor - it has very poor performance if exposed to water.. it will expand and never return to it's original thickness. If you've just done that I seriously recommend you pull it up and replace with ply regardless of cost & time invested - it will probably save you in the long run.

https://www.thespruce.com/osb-flooring-info-1821088
Old 05-17-2018, 01:11 AM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Good solution to concern of compression issues with the foam board. I like the theory.

If the concern is unfounded in reality is it still a good 'solution' especially if it creates a cold bridge right where you walk?.. and 3/4" will spread any load you can place on it well within the compressive strength limit of the foam..
Old 05-17-2018, 01:20 AM   #36
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by N'om'ad View Post
If the concern is unfounded in reality is it still a good 'solution' especially if it creates a cold bridge right where you walk?.. and 3/4" will spread any load you can place on it well within the compressive strength limit of the foam..
IMHO it is not founded in reality. You do realize the compression strength of the board is over a ton per square foot. Why do we even concern our selves with compression strength of foam board?What could you possibly mount in your bus that spreads over 2000lbs/sf ?
I wasn't going to criticize his build, but there will be no OSB anywhere near my build, floors or walls.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:31 AM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
IMHO it is not founded in reality. You do realize the compression strength of the board is over a ton per square foot. Why do we even concern our selves with compression strength of foam board?What could you possibly mount in your bus that spreads over 2000lbs/sf ?
I wasn't going to criticize his build, but there will be no OSB anywhere near my build, floors or walls.

Yes I do, well not exactly that number but I know it's used under foundations of houses. Uniformly distributed loads are not the issue here though - point loads are and that's where the overlayment comes into play. I should have been clearer - 3/4" will spread any point load you can put on it.

I'm not intending to criticize other than constructively. None of us know everything and we all make mistakes. Better to catch one early than bear the cost and disruption of a buckled floor requiring a complete strip-out.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:44 AM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by N'om'ad View Post
OSB is a very bad idea for a floor - it has very poor performance if exposed to water.. it will expand and never return to it's original thickness. If you've just done that I seriously recommend you pull it up and replace with ply regardless of cost & time invested - it will probably save you in the long run.

https://www.thespruce.com/osb-flooring-info-1821088
Any building material if exposed to water is a poor choice. Both osb and ply have they're ups and downs, ply delminates if exposed. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. I appreciate your advice though.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:50 AM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I appreciate the not criticizing my build
, as far as thermal bridging, I don't have a huge grid of floor framing. Plus were leaving original windows, you wanna talk about a thermal bridge or lack there of. Putting in a wood stove, so I'm hoping for sufficient results, I live in a non insulated slump block house built by mediocre standards from 1974.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:51 AM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Any building material if exposed to water is a poor choice. Both osb and ply have they're ups and downs, ply delminates if exposed. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. I appreciate your advice though.

Not exactly - XPS foam is a good choice for a water-exposed situation as it is virtually unaffected by it.

Quote:
Both osb and ply have they're ups and downs, ply delminates if exposed. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. I appreciate your advice though.

Not exactly either - I've seen a lot of damaged OSB. Ply? not so much. It delaminates if exposed to weather - constant wet/dry cycles = not what it experiences in a bus - and it won't delaminate if it's got weight on it, nor will it expand and push up much like OSB does. One soaking with OSB and it's tear out time

Tags
build, floor, flooring, insulation, plywood