Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2018, 07:26 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14'-16' Step Van
Floor Plan Software....use?

I typically draft my floorplan ideas by hand, to scale. I actually enjoy it. BUT, it is hard to get a visual for how things will look/ flow in real life. I have used a few different software programs, but they all take too much time to learn. While finalizing my interior layout, I needed to get my cabinets ordered from Ikea. I LOVE THEIR KITCHEN DESIGN TOOL! Since my layout is bath at rear with the rest open, it was SUPER easy to design the rest of my bus. I coud have kept playing and added the bath to the rear to include the entire layout, but it is not needed due to its simplicity. The rear wall is to left. It lets u do 3D walk thru as well as open/ close and customize items. I deleted the countertop and sink and stuff as I bought those from Lowes. Give it a try:

Planning tools - IKEA

Doug
Attached Thumbnails
ikea3.jpg  

Old 01-04-2018, 07:50 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Just get a big package of napkins and some water based markers.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:22 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Just get a big package of napkins and some water based markers.
I too like to hand draw for ideas. BUT getting things to fit precise a napkin will not do. Was just sending this out so those who WANT to use software that does not take more than 10 mins to master while still giving you lots of ability. Those that dont want to use software......why u on this thread?

I used it to get a visual of the space with all the cabinets and stuff in place, while getting a parts list and price for everything needed from them(IKEA).
I know some of you are expert wood workers and welders, but i am not. Plus the finish I was would be very difficult to do. So, I ordered it all from Ikea. I went with the SEKTION line of cabinets with KALLARP high gloss grey-turquoise doors and drawer fronts. For a 24" and 30" base(kitchen) plus the 2 80x15x24 wall units(will have to trim height and curve to fit). Total came to $1943 before my 20% off. Between the 2 tall wall units will be the Vallentuna Sofa/ Bed in dark grey, which ran another $1050. I know $3k is A LOT, but it will look the way i want and envisioned it.
Doug
Attached Thumbnails
ikea1.png  
Old 01-04-2018, 08:40 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Nothing wrong with that. Even with your fancy smancy store bought cabinets you're still one of us. You can't wash that off.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:47 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Nothing wrong with that. Even with your fancy smancy store bought cabinets you're still one of us. You can't wash that off.
Robin, I love ya. U always got a comment that makes me laugh......BUT remember, Im looking at Shuttle Buses for my conversion. But I still think of myself as one of u( all be it with MUCH less knowledge).
Doug
Old 01-04-2018, 10:40 PM   #6
Bus Geek

I've heard you come up with some pretty good information lately.

That's what I like about this forum. People take the time to relate their particular experience, and yeah sometimes it's questionable how it relates to buses. Since some of us live in buses, that's how these conversations work out the wrinkles and still related to buses.

You've been putting your two cents in too.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:25 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defjr333 View Post
I too like to hand draw for ideas. BUT getting things to fit precise a napkin will not do. Was just sending this out so those who WANT to use software that does not take more than 10 mins to master while still giving you lots of ability. Those that dont want to use software......why u on this thread?

I used it to get a visual of the space with all the cabinets and stuff in place, while getting a parts list and price for everything needed from them(IKEA).
I know some of you are expert wood workers and welders, but i am not. Plus the finish I was would be very difficult to do. So, I ordered it all from Ikea. I went with the SEKTION line of cabinets with KALLARP high gloss grey-turquoise doors and drawer fronts. For a 24" and 30" base(kitchen) plus the 2 80x15x24 wall units(will have to trim height and curve to fit). Total came to $1943 before my 20% off. Between the 2 tall wall units will be the Vallentuna Sofa/ Bed in dark grey, which ran another $1050. I know $3k is A LOT, but it will look the way i want and envisioned it.
Doug
Your bus, your look...[emoji108]

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:35 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I figure my build is going to be in the $20k range by the time I'm done. I've only done a basic search of prices for everything and it's looking like I can come in quite a bit under budget, which means it will probably cost $20K. I could build all my own cabinets, but it's time consuming and space consuming just to build them. Heck I didn't think of what a big shop I'll have to work in once it's gutted.
I will probably have a graphic designer realistic 3d floor plan with my items . I did a hand drawn one to scale and came up with extra room that I can go back and move things fore and aft to add storage compartments

I want to do plans like this, one for each level, underframe, floor plan, cabinet level.
Attached Images

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:55 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Google SketchUp has a free version and it works pretty well. And it has 3D conversion.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:51 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Sketchup takes too long to learn. I just wanted to be sure everything was gonna fit. That Ikea kitchen planner thing was awesome. With ZERO reading or videos, I Adjusted size of "room" to be the inside dimensions the bus will be once insulated, framed, and wall sheathing put up. What Sketchup did not allow me to do was click a button to open each drawer and cabinet door to verify nothing is in way. As well as all of Ikeas products already there. After finishing it prints out every screw, panel, hinge, and part needed with prices. But im sure some like the ability to make a 3d model of their entire bus. That it wont do.
Doug
Old 01-05-2018, 07:42 PM   #11
Bus Geek

A lot of people put tape on the floor to outline their intended walls with an occasional cardboard box as a fixture. You can work it up electronically but there's always a fudge factor in real life.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:45 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
A lot of people put tape on the floor to outline their intended walls with an occasional cardboard box as a fixture. You can work it up electronically but there's always a fudge factor in real life.
Old skool...very practical

Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:59 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty View Post
Old skool...very practical

Quote:
Yup, that was what I did to get my "general layout". But to order 2 grand worth of cabinets, I wanted to be sure NOTHING was gonna be screwy. IE drawer wont open because it hits and edge of a cabinet door handle. And needed a parts list to buy it all. Some things paper, napkins, pen, pencil, tape, and a host of other ways just wont accomplish. Figured some out there may be buying not building cabinets and like to try the program. If not........atleast it helped me.
Doug
Old 01-05-2018, 10:44 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
I'll check it out. Thanks. Going to be starting my short school bus in the next few months. By the way my first one is a shuttle bus and I really like the head room especially for cabinets over the bed. Also, it has the double doors that swing open instead of the single folding door which I prefer because you can push it closed from the outside and it will latch.
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:36 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defjr333 View Post
Yup, that was what I did to get my "general layout". But to order 2 grand worth of cabinets, I wanted to be sure NOTHING was gonna be screwy. IE drawer wont open because it hits and edge of a cabinet door handle. And needed a parts list to buy it all. Some things paper, napkins, pen, pencil, tape, and a host of other ways just wont accomplish. Figured some out there may be buying not building cabinets and like to try the program. If not........atleast it helped me.
Doug
I have this coping saw that neatly cuts out notches for those drawers that won't open.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:42 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Oh Robin, nobody comes near these cabinet drawer and door faces to these cabinets. I will have to trim some of the base units, for height and curve of top, but not the finished faces. I couldnt fix the edge to match. I know who to look out for at my 1st meet and great when done.
Doug
Old 01-05-2018, 11:52 PM   #17
Bus Geek

You'd be surprised at how many tiny modifications you'll find in fancy rigs. Coping saws just make things fit. A little matching paint and Bob's your uncle.
Old 02-26-2022, 02:03 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Does anyone know where I can find a drawing of the floor layout of my 1997 Chevy Blue Bird? I'm trying to estimate square footage before buying insulation.
MichaelTromba is offline   Reply With Quote