Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2022, 02:59 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Engine: CAT 3126E
Floor prep question

So the floor was covered with a grip almost roof shingle like sheets that I peeled up to get to the metal flooring. Fortunately very little rust. Been using a wire brush to take care of it.

But the floor is covered by a lot of the adhesive from the grip flooring and I wanted to remove all of it but it is taking so so so long just to get a few feet of flooring done. The metal flooring is in great condition so I'm not concerned about any major rusting problems. Should I just not bother with trying to remove all of the adhesive and go ahead and move forward with painting the floor with rustoleum to get ready for the subfloor? Or is there a major concern with leaving the adhesive. Like I said it is taking so long and after maybe 35 hours of work into it I've only managed to clean up about five feet into the bus (it's 38 feet total)

Also there is one back corner where that had been rust (it's the photo with the clear discoloration of the flooring, #5) I have used the wire brush plenty and there is still that discoloration. Anything else I should be doing? Is it still rust or something else?

And last there is the adhesive around where the wheel wells connect to the main flooring (Photo #6). Is that important to keep or are the wheel wells only attached through welding and that's just adhesive left from whatever was laid down before.

Would love to hear your thoughts. I want to get some real progress made these next few months before it gets too cold but I also don't want to cut too many corners. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
67304489633__8EB323C2-5961-40E5-8333-CB7EA7453892.jpg   IMG_5368.jpg   IMG_6120.jpg   IMG_6121.jpg   IMG_6119.jpg  

IMG_6122.jpg  

TheBryceIsRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 03:17 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
Mine looks like yours and mine was galvanized.

Got all the rust spots off with a wire brush.

Then i osphoed the rust areas.

Then i washed it out with pressure washer.
Then i wiped with mineral spirits.
Then i painted with rustoleum rusty metal primer.

Theres little sections of adhesive under my paint, but who cares, its sealing the metal already and im putting foam and plywood over it all.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 08:18 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Engine: CAT 3126E
Now is there any concern with the adhesive retaining moisture from when you washed it or used mineral spirits?

That's my only concern is that I may trap some moisture within and then build up everything and slowly rust begins to spread and I'm completely unaware.
TheBryceIsRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 04:05 PM   #4
Almost There

Year: 2003
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 5.9L Cummins ISB
No, as long as you let it dry out before painting.
Old 10-05-2022, 06:57 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TS FE 2509
Engine: Cummins 5.9l ISB CM550
Rated Cap: 34
I didn't want to leave the paint and glue that was under my rubber floor so I am sanding it all off with 60 grit flap discs on an angle grinder. My bus is only 21x7.5 of floor and I have about an hour or hour and a half left to do with about 8 hours in it so far. It's cleaning it up real good.
Hutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 07:26 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Xylene will dissolve it.

Ask me how I know.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote