Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #1

Year: 1977
Coachwork: international
Rated Cap: 66
floor questions

we are almost done with the deconstruction phase on our bus. next comes dealing with the rust.

the ENTIRE underside is rusty. i was thinking about trying to pop up the floor panels, paint them with rust converter and welding them back on.

i thought this would be a lot easier than climbing in and out from under the bus. also, be easier to reach the topside of other things that need converting.

has anyone done this? is it worth it?

itsrtimedownhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:31 PM   #2

Year: 1977
Coachwork: international
Rated Cap: 66
Re: floor questions

as far as the rust goes, i want to stop as much as i can. it was in the high desert where it snows and is now in the mojave desert where... it's hot.

we had to get some repairs done on our trip home from buying it and the repair guy said the engine looks to be in good condition. whatever that's worth. we do need a new carburetor though. we couldn't even get it started today. ahem.

a friend of my husband's family is a mechanic and is super psyched about our project and said he would help us out if we needed it.

i'm not ready for my bus excitement bubble to be burst.
itsrtimedownhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

That sounds like an awful lot of work, and my guess is the rust will come back eventually anyway. My plan is to periodically spray the underside of my bus with used motor oil from my oil changes. That should slow the rust down anyway. I once knew a guy up in New England where cars rust pretty quick, who did this with his 1965 VW beetle, and that thing did not have a speck of rust on it.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Super Coach II, 36 Ft. RE
Engine: Cat 3208T, MT643

Depending on what you paid for it, you may want to consider selling/scrapping/parting out or otherwise disposing of this bus and look for one that does not have the rust issues that this one does. Whole buses can be purchased relatively cheaply (the winning bid on mine was only $1700). But major repairs are a PITA and can be expensive.

Children drink kOOlaid, adults drink T.E.A.

Gallery: https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Skooli ... +Coach+II/
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Wayne
Engine: dt466/5 speed spicer
Rated Cap: 72

I don't know what you're scared of. I a recently acquired a bus that has a floor made of swiss cheese.
Please note that I am a complete beginner, but I plan on cutting out as much of the rusted-through sections as I can, painting what remains and bolting another metal floor right on top of that.

I hope that the idea, at least, isn't faulty.
slideforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:15 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
That sounds like an awful lot of work, and my guess is the rust will come back eventually anyway. My plan is to periodically spray the underside of my bus with used motor oil from my oil changes. That should slow the rust down anyway. I once knew a guy up in New England where cars rust pretty quick, who did this with his 1965 VW beetle, and that thing did not have a speck of rust on it.

Awesome...

You should do that next to a salmon stream...

Even if i was to do this, I'd never post it on a public forum... Not trying to jump on you or flame you, but there's a lot of people out there looking for this kind of stuff to attack or use as fuel in their fight... Being a 4x4 enthusiast, I feel the heavy breathing on the back of my neck all the time from different groups that don't like what i choose as recreation...

Again, not trying to start a fight, just giving my input...
dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

We USED to have an Eagle 05 bus (highway coach). Standing joke is that you can't stand too close to an Eagle and carrying on a conversation. The sound of it rusting away is deafening! Anyway ours wasn't rusted too bad. We'd seen worse and our Eagle was considered to be in good shape but the work to strip it down to the frame (that's where an Eagle rusts at) was lengthy (those steel rivets are a bear to get out). We spent so much time (of which we had little of) getting down to the frame and then starting to patch up what was needed that when the time came for us to leave out, the Eagle was unusable. So we sold it for scrap (kept part of the interior layer of aluminum sheeting to build the hot dog cart) and started looking for a schoolbus to use as a moving van with an eye to converting later. Rust was one thing we looked for. After the Eagle, we did not have the time to spend on rust. Nor the desire to deal with it.

This was our rust bucket:
http://www.freewebs.com/aluminumasyl...eousphotos.htm
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:57 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtygoat
Even if i was to do this, I'd never post it on a public forum... Not trying to jump on you or flame you, but there's a lot of people out there looking for this kind of stuff to attack or use as fuel in their fight... Being a 4x4 enthusiast, I feel the heavy breathing on the back of my neck all the time from different groups that don't like what i choose as recreation...
Oh... I think I made it sound like I was going to "hose" it and have a stream of oil runoff... no, no, nothing like that. I haven't thought all the way through the mode of application, but I will either use a small pump sprayer like exterminators use or just paint it on with a brush, or something like that. Whatever I do, it will have to involve minimal dripping. Chances are this will be done in my driveway, so I will probably lay out cardboard to catch and absorb any drips. Maybe do a small section at a time.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote