Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2021, 04:38 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Chevrolet Express G3500
Engine: 6.5 L Turbo Diesel
Floor: replacing corrugated with sheet metal

Our floor is corrugated, which I suspect was a fix for rusted flooring at some point (our bus comes from North Jersey). We are thinking of replacing it with sheet metal. Is this a good idea? Cold rolled vs. hot rolled? Gauge? (Thinking 16)
Attached Thumbnails
FC3EC916-D7DF-4DD0-9B87-AD58FF39E63E.jpg   688E8B8B-11D2-427E-928D-AB1E6F559944.jpg   1B85314E-981C-406E-8335-3603163891CF.jpg  

JudyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 06:15 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Some buses have corrugated floors like that from the factory - yours looks like one of them. That rust looks pretty minor (especially for a Jersey bus!). Just scrape off any loose bits of rust and apply ospho, then prime and paint. Then build your new subfloor on top of that.

Rebuilding your floor with sheet metal would be a lot of extra work for no point. It would not be as simple as putting in sheet metal, as I think this type of bus relies on the extra strength of the corrugated sheet to span wider areas between framing members than is possible just with flat sheet. If you just replaced it with sheet, the floors would sag terribly (on a regular school bus with sheet steel floors, the supporting members are usually no more than 10" away from their neighbors).
Old 01-22-2021, 06:18 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
I would leave it like it is, the corrugated allowed ventilation under the plywood, also corrugated is much stronger. May be use galvanized corrugated to enhance the resistance. Assuming a reasonable gauge / strength of the existing corrugated I would put 2" insulation right on top of thecorrigated. It would likely compress 1/4' on the ribs.. Then 7/16 ply tongue and groove on top of that.
That is if you have enough headroom.

My 0.02

Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:12 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Chevrolet Express G3500
Engine: 6.5 L Turbo Diesel
But what about the rusted through parts?

Thanks for responses!

There are some sections that are completely rusted through. We thought about just cutting out squares and riveting new corrugated pieces on top. The rusted through parts are on the driver’s side, so maybe just replace that strip with galvanized corrugated?

And no, we don’t have enough headroom, so we’re planning a roof raise.
Attached Thumbnails
9E096AE9-B631-4CA7-8E37-DEF2EE944CE8.jpg   E9E815A6-7833-4EA5-B717-9D0D397A41A4.jpg  
JudyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:59 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyW View Post
Thanks for responses!

There are some sections that are completely rusted through. We thought about just cutting out squares and riveting new corrugated pieces on top. The rusted through parts are on the driver’s side, so maybe just replace that strip with galvanized corrugated?

And no, we don’t have enough headroom, so we’re planning a roof raise.
Yeah, just square up the rusted-out holes and patch with more corrugated. Galvanized is fine although non-galvanized is easier to paint. Your rust is the result of leaks (probably the windows) so if you stop the leaks you won't have to worry about further rust like this.

Riveting is OK, but you'd probably have an easier time using self-tapping sheet metal screws (no special gear required except a drill).
Old 01-23-2021, 01:41 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
hummm..

I would replace galvanized corrugated like what was there before.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:06 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
OK
i had a long post for this but it got dropped for whatever reason and probably me being computer stupid.
i have that exact same tin in my second bus and live in an AG community.
have several pieces of tin but nothing matches.
what i did and what others have the ability or money to do will decide?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:11 PM   #8
Bus Geek

sorry for the OP.
that style of corrugated tin doesnt match anything you can run out and buy.
and i live in an AG community.
same tin in my 04 collins body.
rust wasnt that bad.
what i am doing and have done and what others can do i will not go there.
i have been welding for over 20 years,have access to a full sheetmetal shop and have been mechaniching since i could walk.
for the OP the or you getting rid of your road A/C,passenger air to delete those lines?
according to my wife i always overbuild. but
Old 01-24-2021, 09:09 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: Cummins 5.9l 24 valve
Rated Cap: 78
i would agree, your plan sounds good. 16gauge would probably work but most floors are made up of sections bent into a c shape. which adds a lot of stiffness, so there may have to be some additional structure to create a sold floor that doesnt flex while walking on it.
Samweld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:15 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
I would add in more cross members, and then put in insulation in the gaps, held up with either wood or thin metal. I was thinking of using the walls of old refrigerators, as they have thick polyiso foam and flat sheetmetal one side. I raised my roof, so no need for that, but if headroom is an issue.

The SIP idea is great, I happened to get some metal SIP panels that will go on top of my plywood. Again I raised the roof, but if floor height is an issue, elminate the thick plywood and go with the SIPs as the structural floor.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:32 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: MidBus
Chassis: Chevy Express 3500
Engine: 6.0 Vortec V8 Gas
Hi all. We just pulled up the old floors on our first skoolie this past weekend and were interested to find beautiful, completely rust free corrugated flooring. Now I don't need to bother with any rust (yay), but I do need to fill all the holes before I lay down foam board and ply overtop.

First question - does anyone have any great ideas for patching the holes in the floor from the seats when working with corrugated galvanized? We will have access to a welder. What have you all found great success in so far for just simple hole patches?

Next question - Will placing foam board straight over the top of corrugated metal cause issues in the future with uneven compressing of the foam board due to the peaks and troughs of the metal? Our original plan was to install a 1x2 perimeter along with 1x2 strapping up the middle for support. Foam board will be cut to size and wedged in between the wooden perimeter and strapping. Can't afford to lose much headroom here.
Anonybus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:28 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Personally I think that their is no need to patch the holes..galvanized is unhealthy to weld.. it is already rust protected.. because it is corrugated you have some ventilation .

1-1/2" of foam will deform a bit on the top ridges , I would be fine with that. I think that a steel floor without ventilation is asking for problems. It is not if just when their will be moisture trapped in between these floors. From condensation or just a simple leak.. if it rusted through in 15 years then it will again.
I would drill 3/8 holes at beginning and end of each rib to help ventilation and help potential drainage.

Blue or pink foam is very strong and if you lat a 9/16 tongue and groove plywood on top it should be fine. If you want to go heavier fine to.

My 0.02

Good luck Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:37 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Personally I think that their is no need to patch the holes..galvanized is unhealthy to weld.. it is already rust protected.. because it is corrugated you have some ventilation .

1-1/2" of foam will deform a bit on the top ridges , I would be fine with that. I think that a steel floor without ventilation is asking for problems. It is not if just when their will be moisture trapped in between these floors. From condensation or just a simple leak.. if it rusted through in 15 years then it will again.
I would drill 3/8 holes at beginning and end of each rib to help ventilation and help potential drainage.

Blue or pink foam is very strong and if you lat a 9/16 tongue and groove plywood on top it should be fine. If you want to go heavier fine to.

My 0.02

Good luck Johan
Thanks for the feedback! I was curious if the corrugated floor could actually provide some sort of ventilation/inevitable moisture drainage. We live in a varied climate with cold, snowy winters and hot, dry summers so I'm battling the weather no matter the season. All around though I would say we live in a dry climate. I'm afraid that not plugging the holes in the floor will let all the nasty crap from winter roads up into my flooring. Am I just being paranoid?
Old 02-15-2021, 05:47 PM   #14
Bus Geek

hi anonybus.
i am working with the exact same platform with my second bus.
have you pulled your original floor yet?
just asking about seat bolt holes suggest not?
my collins/midbus body was only held onto the chassis with u bolts through the corrugated metal to hold it all together and all of them on my 2004 needed to be resealed.
the seat holes are minimal compared to th wide open fuel tank filler neck access which needs to be and the rear refrigerant lines opening to the rear a/c unit and then i had several one inch holes for the wheel chair lift that was deleted before i got it and i wish it wasnt.
galvalume tin will last a long time and g30 metal will last even longer.
i have tried to match the flooring and have not found a match.
i weld for a living and it is to thin to weld much less spray galvanize inside and underside.
mine has an undercoat that looks fine so i covered that area with silicone around the holes and screwed flat sheetmetal down to cover and reinforce the flooring.
because the handi access is going to be my solar battery and maitenance area.
plug your holes with silicone and paint with rusty netal primer if it makes you happy and move on to the next step
Old 02-15-2021, 05:56 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
hi anonybus.
i am working with the exact same platform with my second bus.
have you pulled your original floor yet?
just asking about seat bolt holes suggest not?
my collins/midbus body was only held onto the chassis with u bolts through the corrugated metal to hold it all together and all of them on my 2004 needed to be resealed.
the seat holes are minimal compared to th wide open fuel tank filler neck access which needs to be and the rear refrigerant lines opening to the rear a/c unit and then i had several one inch holes for the wheel chair lift that was deleted before i got it and i wish it wasnt.
galvalume tin will last a long time and g30 metal will last even longer.
i have tried to match the flooring and have not found a match.
i weld for a living and it is to thin to weld much less spray galvanize inside and underside.
mine has an undercoat that looks fine so i covered that area with silicone around the holes and screwed flat sheetmetal down to cover and reinforce the flooring.
because the handi access is going to be my solar battery and maitenance area.
plug your holes with silicone and paint with rusty netal primer if it makes you happy and move on to the next step

Thanks Jolly Roger! Yes the original floor has been pulled. I agree some sort of goop to fill the holes may be best. The only large hole I need to deal with is maybe 6 inches in diameter leading to some mysterious part of the undercarriage that I forgot to mention before. That'll get a good patch.

My floor is also held on with u bolts. Definitely wasn't expecting to see a bunch of corrugated metal under the original rubber and ply, but I was super pleased not to see one hint of rust under there
Old 02-15-2021, 07:00 PM   #16
Bus Geek

find a local hvac contrator shop and ask for a 10x10 square of 16 guage or go prepared with your own snips to look in there dumpster and get what you want?
i do commercial/industrial piping but know the sheeet metal side for a living and question my office all the time of what gets wasted?
if there is something size specific anyone wants i can get the metal and work out shipping
if interested
Old 02-15-2021, 07:15 PM   #17
Bus Geek

the only hole of the 6"x6" size in my little bus is around the fuel filler and overfill neck.
you can build over it but if something happens and youre mechanic dont want to deal with it or you dont wont to remove your cabinets to replace that piece of rubber hose?
i can look at it as a skoolie builder, a mechanic and commercial/industrial since 1996 skoolie since
dont matter
Old 03-09-2021, 07:03 AM   #18
Almost There

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Midbus
Chassis: Chevy Express G3500
Engine: 6.0 V8
Rated Cap: 12+2WC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
my collins/midbus body was only held onto the chassis with u bolts through the corrogated
I’m glad I read this thread. We were just about to try to Bondo our corrugated floors in our Midbus. I’m gathering we should just use caulk and prime and leave it at that. We are using Rustoleum Rust Reformer, is there any real need to paint over that?
Old 05-03-2022, 01:50 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Rated Cap: 27
There are dozens of us!

I finally found other people 1) with a Mid-Bus shortie and 2) dealing with a rusted out corrugated floor :P

I'd been asking for help on FB, but there a lot of passionate people who refuse to understand the context of what I'm trying to do. My bus is for camping not for living. I don't weld, and while I want to learn, welding galvanized sheet metal on a corrugated floor is not how I want to start.

I'm not sure where to get thick (16 ga) corrugated for hole patches, so I'm probably going to double up (triple?) the 31 ga I can get from Home Depot. I bought an air riveter for attachment, but I'm lost about what to do around the edges. I could rivet some angle iron for an attachment point, but do I try to flatten the corrugated patch so it can rivet cleanly to the angle iron?

Also, it was suggested to spray foam the channels in the corrugated floor to help support the rigid foam board I'm going to put on top - worth the time or no? I'm going to use 1/2" pink foam board and 1/2" ply on top of that.

Some people seem to think the metal needs to be completely moisture proof, but other people think ventilation is key, so I'm not sure how crazy to go patching every tiny hole.

If anyone has some success stories or cautionary tales on how to proceed, I'm all ears!
bfuller181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 01:59 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
I would not try to double- or triple- up on thinner steel to accomplish what you're wanting to accomplish.

I can guarantee that there is a metal yard within a couple of hours of you. And probably, if you're willing to think a little outside the box, and you're determined to proceed down this path, that you could probably find some kind of business or factory engaged in some kind of manufacturing or something else that would have some kind of 16 ga squares, cast-offs, cut-offs, or other kind of 'scrap' that you could probably negotiate some kind of deal with someone there for a 1- or 2- off 'purchase'.

You could also try to find the people that sell those pre-manufactured storage/building shed companies, and tell them that you're looking for some corrugated 16 ga or similar to repair a roof, and just ask them and see what they say.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote