Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2018, 08:40 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
flooring, carpet or wood?

So far I have not seen any skoolie with carpet on the floors. They all seem to be wood, or at least hard suface. We will have a lot of wood in our bus so planning on carpet. Any reason not to carpet? There is a shoe rack right by the foor, no shoes will be allowed in the bus.

Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:16 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Any reason not to carpet?
Other than the obvious spillage / tracking in of liquids, and vacuuming, I don't see a reason not to. I plan on carpet in the living room and bedroom, and vinyl in the kitchen and entrance areas. But the carpet will be the very last thing installed, low pile, and easily replaced.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:26 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
So far I have not seen any skoolie with carpet on the floors. They all seem to be wood, or at least hard suface. We will have a lot of wood in our bus so planning on carpet. Any reason not to carpet? There is a shoe rack right by the foor, no shoes will be allowed in the bus.
Shoes off helps a lot but unless you vacuum daily and clean it periodically, carpet gets gross. I have ripped a lot of carpet out and the piles of **** that is under it after even a couple of years is gross. Area rugs that you can wash are a better option. I could wash carpet squares in my dishwasher if I removed the top rack at my old house. I got them for $1 each so I gave it a try. Easy to clean is your friend. I have ripped all the carpet out of every house I bought after the first one.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:39 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 77
Shoes off will help, but you will still need to vacuum, which means you will need a vacuum on board. With hard surfaces a broom works so there is the storage aspect of it as well. As others have said, if you do carpet, make it as easy to clean, low pile, and as easy to remove if you don't like it, as possible. Otherwise, it's your bus, kick up.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:19 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
We do plan on low pile, and easy to remove. The bus is an RV for us, if we were going to live in it wood flooring would be nice. However carpet is good for sound absorbtion when driving. We have some left over from another job, so it is free. I am inclined to use it for now and if it does not work out do something differant. Will get all our built in stuff in so nothing will be on the carpet that can not be easily moved.

I do appreciate the comments, it is nice to know what others have experianced.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:39 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Carpet = gross
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:51 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
We went with planks because they're durable and easy to keep clean... But probably going to throw down some rugs as well.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:19 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
Carpet = gross

Carpet is only gross if its owned by gross people.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:19 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
I did both carpeting and linoleum.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0967.jpg  
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:45 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Carpet is only gross if its owned by gross people.
I have seen carpet removed that was in a house with no children and vacuumed at least weekly. They are NOT gross!!! They did not remove shoes. It was still nasty. You have to vacuum DAILY to keep it not disgusting AND clean it periodically. And it still collects dust, dander and pollen like crazy.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:54 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Don't forget vinyl and rubber. Waterproof and easy to maintain.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:08 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
carpet is a moisture-wick. it takes in moisture and will over not too long time low-grade mildew.. even the slightest leak in your bnus or driving on the road where the inside is more humid from outside air it will hold that moisture.. rugs will too however you can hang them out in the sun and get rid of that moisture.. if I were ever to install any type of carpet it would be commercial style carpet squares that can be easily pulled and replaced.. but in general for softie feel i would lay diown hard floors and then toss down rugs..

moisture is expecially true if oyu plan to spend any of your time in the coastal areas.. almost every carpeted building I stay in south of tennesee in summer has a "moist" smell to it.. and in florida year round.. these places have carpet..

ive seen carpet in commercial motorhomes before but it seems to be only in small areas and not widespread.. and its always automotive-style very low pile..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:36 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Id go wood & put rugs down where you need them
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:13 PM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 1976
Engine: 345 IH gas
Rated Cap: 66 passenger
Meh....

1/2" carpet padding and indoor/outdoor carpet on my floors since BruinGilda took flight.

After almost 15 years, it's finally time to replace.
And yeah, I used it but didn't abuse it.
We keep a small shop vac in the bus and just vacuum it every so often.

Still beats sleeping in the sand at the beach!
https://www.pettypb.com/bus
Vern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:11 PM   #15
Almost There

Year: 1969
Chassis: Ford B-750
Engine: 390 BB
Rated Cap: 2 humans, 1 cat
Hardwood floors for us. We have a cat so hardwood floors are easier to clean up when hairballs occur (that's also why we have a vinyl tablecloth on the bed!). I dislike carpets anyway. Non carpeted floors are much easier to keep clean in general. When we build, we'll have floor rugs if needed.
WanderingLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:40 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Just finished placing last plank of engineered wood. Comes with it's own issues, but couldn't imagine carpet being easier to maintain. Time will tell how it holds up to environment on a bus. Will update if I cover it with carpet in two years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:12 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Have you considered continuing the planks up the faces of the exposed plywood, or did you have other plans for those?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:57 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Vision
Engine: C7 caterpillar Allison automatic heavy foot
my next build "the Can I Bus"

i put laminate floors in mine but in my new one (have a guest room !) im disabled and have to sleep on a recliner so no bed room im putting carpet in it its so nice and comfortable but im going to have it bound on the edges and snap in place then i can just change it every few months i have a dog so it wont take long and im putting central vac in as well its going to have a full width bathroom x 8 ft corner tub spa all black tiles and fixtures heated floors infra red heat lamps then a full width kitchen x 8ft with a pantry on each side dish washer full size gas range full size fridge up right freezer too ! then the rest living room with a nice soft carpet cant wait ! im putting in sky lights as well im going with a deep red interlux red mahogany stained mahogany veneer all the way through out the bus with maple burl inlays vaulted lighted accented ceilings and all of the cabinets entertainment centers wet bar ect with satin varnished finish 7 coats deep to bury the wood grain a roof deck with a interior spiral staircase slide outs in the living room both sides will give me a 12 x 14 living room parked ! im raising the roof 2 ft and the floor 4 inches all plumbing wiring heat ducts will be inside under the floor heated the bathroom will be raised 20 inches for tank space and storage and finally solar power i want to be completely able to go boone docking for a month at a time with no worries all seasons frozen lakes are good camping spots when they are safe watch the weather very carefully and get a local that knows the lake to guide you and double check the safety of the ice with your local wardens we get 3 ft of ice here in Maine thats plenty but you have to know about springs and thin areas dont just take it for granted and youll be alright but you can stay on a lake for months free and ice fish its wonderful and you cant get a prettier view ! cant wait to start next spring on it ! its a Thomas freightliner conventional 120k on it c7 cat allison should be nice its amazing the changes youll want to make after you have lived in one for a couple years im going to record this build i should have this one but i built this bus in 3 months i didnt have time to mess with it tc ,richard....see you on the road ! ill keep a live tally too when i do the build so people can see its very reasonable if you do the labor yourself!! im a boat builder fabricating inventing hot roder from heck lol but those that arent can find everything they need to know watching youtube and by using common sence pick and choose to make sure they know what they are doing and dive into it its just wood or metal you cant mess up to bad !
Smokey's pipe dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 04:18 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

quick note im going with a trailer oil fired hot air furnace with duct work and infloor closed system heat run off a instant on demand hot water heater with an aqua stat and circulator pump with an expansion tank with a coil in my wood stove hope it works will keep you posted ! OH and for my AC im using regular through the window ac units i convert by making a snorkel adapter that is a big elbow with a divider wall that makes it roof mountable and allows you to move the face inside the bus on the ceiling cheap and clean they will run off my inverter too ! you remove the face of the ac unit put this snorkel on which mounts trough the roof then install the face inside put a boughten ac unit cover over it and your done i can replace them at any home depot
Old 08-30-2018, 04:32 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

"never put your eggs in one basket"

quick note im going with a trailer oil fired hot air furnace with duct work and infloor closed system heat run off a instant on demand hot water heater with an aqua stat and circulator pump with an expansion tank with a coil in my wood stove hope it works will keep you posted ! OH and for my AC im using regular through the window ac units i convert by making a snorkel adapter that is a big elbow with a divider wall that makes it roof mountable and allows you to move the face inside the bus on the ceiling cheap and clean they will run off my inverter too ! you remove the face of the ac unit put this snorkel on which mounts trough the roof then install the face inside put a boughten ac unit cover over it and your done i can replace them at any home depot!