Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2018, 11:28 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 90
Coachwork: bluebird conventional
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
Flush A C venting

I intend in installing roof ac on my bus. The issue is I have a fairly low ceiling and want to come up with a flush vent for it. I have no problem locating the controls elsewhere. Has anyone made a workable vent for something like this? how did it work? please post pics if you can.
My unit is an older coleman mach.

btw basement ac is not feasible.

bluebird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:40 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the big issue as i see it with in-ceiling mounted ducting is that it becomes very poorly insulated.. you really want your A/C ducting below the insulation level of your ceiling.. which makes is surface mount ..as your ceiling finish is likely going on the insulation directly..

school busses dont have much "attic" space.. the factory bus A/C that is ducted locates the ducts directly above the windows and runs them just above.. you could come off the coleman down to ducts above the window line which typically arent in anyone;s way on that wall..

other thing to think about is your coleman a ducted unit by design or is it a free-blow (use only its vents).. if that unit is ducted or ducted-capable. it will have a blower which is capable of building up enough static pressure to push air down the duct while still maintaining volume enough to cool the space properly and not freeze up..

some of the coleman units ive seen in their instructions, installation for ducting and for non ducting... those units would be the ones to have...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:33 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I'm not talking about in ceiling ducting as much as having an effective cover that would direct the air that would be close to flush with the ceiling.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:15 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
I just recently installed 2 roof mount ac units , I don't have the instructions in front of me at the moment but if I remember right they required a minimum of 2in thick framing to clamp the unit down, mine came with a 1in thick seal on them & they need to be torqued to 50 in lbs & the seal compressed to within a 1/2 "

I made my frames 5 1/2in thick because I'm ducting my units
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:26 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird90 View Post
I intend in installing roof ac on my bus. The issue is I have a fairly low ceiling and want to come up with a flush vent for it. I have no problem locating the controls elsewhere. Has anyone made a workable vent for something like this? how did it work? please post pics if you can.
My unit is an older coleman mach.

btw basement ac is not feasible.
I thought of going roof air, but they're pricey. I just bought a 14,000 but portable which I will try and if it don't do them it will become the unit for my storage shed while I'm piddling with something in there. $384 and shipped free.
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:30 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Actually, I have a roof unit already. I tried a 10000 btu portable unit but with poor results.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:07 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
If I understand what you are asking it may be similar to what I did when I replaced a roof air a few years ago.

I had a standard roof air that stuck down about 3-1/2" from the ceiling. It failed and I found a deal on a ducted version.

I installed it in place of the standard unit, wired a thermostat and built a custom grille. It was not completely flush but I could have made it flush if I had needed to. It only stuck down 1/2".
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote