Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2023, 12:59 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Foam board on outside of stairs

I was just thinking about how to better insulate the front of my bus and had a thought...why doesn't anyone glue foam board to the outside of their stairs with construction adhesive? Seems like it would be fairly cheap and durable enough, even without something covering the outside of the foam board. Only downside I can imagine is trapping water behind the foam board. My "solution" to that would be to apply the adhesive in vertical lines so water has a way to travel down and out from behind the foam board.

I don't really want to insulate the inside of the stairs as that will make them smaller and I'll definitely have issues with water getting tracked in and trapped behind my covering material.

Thoughts?

dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 01:02 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Sounds like a good idea! I wouldn't worry about trapped water though, there are plenty of ways to seal that up and if it does get damaged over time, no big deal, scrape and replace! No one is lookig!
ewo1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 05:16 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2010
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird (6-window Handy Bus)
Engine: Cummins 6.7l ISB
Rated Cap: 15 + 3WC
Not sure what your layout is, but another option would be to install a folding cover over the stairs on the inside. This would have the added advantage of giving you additional floor space when driving/parked, also keeping stuff from falling into the stairwell while underway. Could insulate the underside too…see post 27 of my build thread (The Dominic) for a pic…
desrtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 08:01 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Hey DB, this isn't exactly what you asked about...but related. HandiFoam makes a spray foam especially designed for underbody use. I'm sure foam board would be just as good, if well bonded. But at least the HandiFoam product proves the concept.

https://www.handifoam.com/product/ha...-fr-black-hfo/
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 09:26 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
I had planned to insulate the outside of my stairs with soundmat and insulation. I'm mostly interested in sound deadening them. I was able to fit 1inch XPS foam on my walls and .5in on the flat surface of the steps. I'm going to wait to drive it before i do the outside, but the plan is to paint the outside with chassis saver, glue vertical beads to 1in XPS Foam. Then in front of that i would glue 3/4in Stall Mat to the face. Then i would run some 2in self tappers through it to the steel to make sure it has a mechanical connection for the long haul. At a minimum, i would still try to sound mat and .5in XPS on the inside. It makes a huge difference not having that cold steel conducting inside.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 12:29 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
I've considered doing the same, as well as for some of the easier to reach floor areas as I only have 1/2" inside. Maybe cover the exposed side with metal panel or undercoat spray. I do like Ross's suggestion, though but managing spray foam while lying under the bus sounds dicey at best.
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote