Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2017, 08:37 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Foam mattress

It has come time that I want to actually purchase some kind of mattress. I need a custom size (30x74) which seems to be a somewhat common size for custom. The problem is there seems to be at least 50 different choices. I can rule out the expensive ones and the really thick ones. Really? Is there a need for a mattress that is 14 inches thick?

A little background, I can pretty much sleep on anything, currently in the bus I am using a thick feather tick pad. It's just a tad small and hard to make up into a nice looking bed. It's also getting old. Since I only sleep on my side I find that anything that I sink into very far makes my knees hurt.
Mumsywumsy is much more demanding about mattresses. She likes pretty firm with a soft foam on top. Currently in the bus she is using a bed cushion from the old camper with foam on top of that.

The bed we sleep on in the house is a firm mattress and she has a soft foam on top of her side.

I guess I'm looking for recommendations on type of foam, or what to look for. There are terms like gel foam, memory foam. I'm kind of looking at this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Customize-Bed...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Dick

somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:01 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
It has come time that I want to actually purchase some kind of mattress. I need a custom size (30x74) which seems to be a somewhat common size for custom. The problem is there seems to be at least 50 different choices. I can rule out the expensive ones and the really thick ones. Really? Is there a need for a mattress that is 14 inches thick?

A little background, I can pretty much sleep on anything, currently in the bus I am using a thick feather tick pad. It's just a tad small and hard to make up into a nice looking bed. It's also getting old. Since I only sleep on my side I find that anything that I sink into very far makes my knees hurt.
Mumsywumsy is much more demanding about mattresses. She likes pretty firm with a soft foam on top. Currently in the bus she is using a bed cushion from the old camper with foam on top of that.

The bed we sleep on in the house is a firm mattress and she has a soft foam on top of her side.

I guess I'm looking for recommendations on type of foam, or what to look for. There are terms like gel foam, memory foam. I'm kind of looking at this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Customize-Bed...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Dick
I have seen plenty of people use a standard foam mattress and cut it to fit your application. Usually it's a better price.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:14 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Carpenter Body
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65 to Zero. Folding Chair
I am a big guy 6'4 300 and one of my coworkers is big on tiny homes which works perfectly with my skoolie pursuits. He buildings a few homes each year, trailer mount, ground mount, post mount all that and he has to custom build the beds.

He is a firm believer in high quality expensive foam mattresses that he cuts apart. He orders extra long "california" length beds as a standard, most orders he gets a king or queen and gets at least two beds out of it and some cushions or pads out of the left for use around the house.

I have slept on his first versions of nice 6 inch foam mattresses and I sink in and they are not that comfortable until you sleep flat on your back. The last couple of years he orders 10-12-14 inch mattresses and they fit me much better. Plus the thicker the mattress the easier it is to find fitted sheets or whatever.
New2Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:39 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I ordered some custom-cut foam cushions that double as benches for a dinette-style table. My bed is 87" x 50.5", split into 5 cushions. I ordered them from here:

Foam Factory, Inc.

I got 4" thick foam in "Lux Foam - Regular". In hindsight, I wish I had chosen a softer foam. My cushions are very firm for sleeping (but not unbearable). They had reasonable prices (I paid ~$151 for my 5 cushions), shipped fast, and nothing was damaged.

I've also heard of some people having a two-layer foam mattress - a very soft top layer for comfort, and a firm foam underneath to prevent "bottoming out" on plywood when you sit/lay.

Hope that helps!
lg22woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Also, I started my bed design from this instructable, and I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

How to Sew Cushions for a Camper Van - All
lg22woo is offline   Reply With Quote