Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #1

Ford 6.6 Brazilian diesel????

We are looking for a bus to convert and want a durable, dependable engine. Is this what we are looking for? Thanks!

jahuff205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: Ford 6.6 Brazilian diesel????

There are lots of choices out there that are dependable and reliable. I don't think you'll find anyone with much of anything bad to say about the 6.6 other than it is no powerhouse and parts are reportedly hard to find. I will agree that it is not a terribly powerful engine, but none of the bus engines out there really are. There is plenty of potential to increase the output of the 6.6/7.8 but increasing output decreased mileage and longevity. Point and case might be the new 6.7 Cummins found in tons of medium duty trucks and, of course, Dodge pickups. In the pickups you will find it producing 650 ft lbs. However, the MDT roles where it will be expected to run for half a million miles you will find more modest outputs of around 400-450 ft lbs.

I can't speak too much to the difficult parts availability. My local parts store stocks the filters. The alternator would have to be ordered in overnight, but this is the norm for medium duty truck stuff and has nothing to do with the engine. The waterpump can likewise be ordered overnight. There are plenty of shops that can rebuild the injector pump. Really, there is very little I've found to be difficult to obtain or high priced. I think some gaskets might be a little more difficult to come by, but I'm a big fan of The Right Stuff and Permatex Ultra Black anyway. The only real shortage for these motors out there is information. They just never were as popular as the DT360 or 6BT Cummins or 7.3 IDI, etc. However, my local Ford dealership had all the service manuals on microfiche and were more than happy to run off whatever information I needed.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
Bus Geek

I had the 6.6 liter in my first bus, and it had about 300K miles when i got rid of it and was still running strong. I'm a pretty big fan of the Brazilian ford. It's not too shabby for a farm tractor motor! Mine was really wimpy, but i'm sure that turning up the hp and the rpm's would wake her right up. It has more displacement than a dt360 or a cummins 5.9 motor and is probably just as tough. I would put it's longevity far ahead of any of the v8 diesels like the 7.3 navistar or that gm 6.5? liter or that detroit v8 diesel 4 stroke....the green one i think it's like an 8.2L or something.

runs nice on veggie oil too! I burned about 1000 gallons of wvo in one summer in mine, and my 6.6 ford motor got a lot better fuel economy than my dt360.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:40 PM   #4

Wow, thanks! This information is valuable and will help us decide whether to pursue this bus or not. It's for sale on ebay, but there are a few buses we are interested in.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:02 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

My biggest concern wouldn't be the engine, but rather the braking system. If it has a 6.6 and hydraulic brakes there is a good chance it has Lucas-Girling brakes which are a morphodite air brake-hydraulic brake sort of setup. The brakes are strictly hydraulic, but they use a parking brake like air brakes meaning that they require pressure to release. It's a failsafe system using power steering pump pressure to release the brakes, but sometimes function doesn't always follow the concept on paper and they have proven to be rather cumbersome and the parts availability for them is not good. They are easily identified by a small parking brake lever you lift to release. More traditional parking brakes will use a much larger spring loaded lever.

Do you have a link to the ad?
Old 04-07-2009, 09:27 PM   #6

I'm not really sure how to get you a link except like this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0400495658
oaky, I don't think that worked, but maybe in a second I can figure it out. It's not a secret I guess that I am not used to this internet stuff.. I am glad to know that about the brake thank you.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #7

Well, I guess it worked! Since it says air brakes I assume that it doesn't have the combination brake system your talking about but I will check just to be sure. Thanks for all the good information.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:50 PM   #8
Bus Geek

It looks like a really nice bus to me. Find out the condition of the tires. The can make the difference between a smoking deal and a raw deal.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:45 AM   #9

Well, we're looking for a bus, a larger bus. That one sold on ebay, but there is another for brazilian, there is an 8.2 detroit and a bunch of others. We just don't know a lot about these engines or what would be best. We want a bus that is AFFORDABLE, like 1500 would be ideal.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:57 AM   #10
Bus Nut

IIRC cat cummins and international all guarantee 24 hr parts service if you're willing to pay the freight.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:03 AM   #11
Bus Geek

cummins 5.9 is one of the best skoolie engines in my humble opinion. rugged, reliable, lots of power, good fuel economy, and easy parts availability.

i also really like the brazialian ford, the dt 360/466. These are all inline 6 cylinder diesels.

i don't know if it would be a deal killer, but i would find much less desirable any v8 diesel, including the 7.3/6.9 navistar, gm diesels, detroit diesel, t444e, etc

not to say that a v8 motor in a bus would be a death sentance, but most semi-truck diesels(with the exception of screaming 2 stroke detroits) are inline 6 cylinder and they can go a million miles.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:36 PM   #12

We are really anxious to find a bus and this forum has been so far the most help. The advice and opinions have helped us so much.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #13

Okay, one last question then I'll try to refrain. Is an ford 66 pass '86 model 8.2 detroit with 120k miles for 1500.00 a good buy supposing it runs fine?