Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #1

Year: 1997
Ford E350 Conversion - RV Regulations??

I know this is more a bus conversion site, but I'm really hoping someone on here may have some information on this subject! We are seriously on the verge of buying a 1997 Ford E350 Powerstroke 11 ft box truck. It was prior a moving truck basically. I have called USAA and Progressive and they both have told me that they will not cover a RV conversion as such. And noted I did not ask if they would cover it, I asked them what requirements there are in place in order to register this truck under a "non-professional bus conversion". Are there any requirements other than the few I found online (i.e., Cooking appliances, Refrigeration, Bathroom facilities, Self-contained heating and/or air-conditioning, A drinkable water supply, A 110–125 volt electrical power system)? We'd also like to add a transparent (not sure of material yet) sliding door to really open it up ! Legal? And then how do we go about registration when the process is all finished??
Oh! We're also in Michigan thinking about moving to South Carolina when the process is finished/half way done (this may help with the specific conversion protocols?).

Any information will be greatly appreciated!

Luna Ulta

Luna_Ulta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:01 AM   #2
Almost There

Year: 1997
Chassis: International Amtram Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 87
Re: Ford E350 Conversion - RV Regulations??

A converted vehicle is one that has 4 out of 6 of the following: (I am paraphrasing, don't quote me)
1. A place to sleep, 2. A way to cook meals, 3. A water supply 4. Heating and/or air conditioning 5. Self contained toilet 6. An ice box or refrigerator

Don't think that you need to have completely brought the vehicle into what your end vision of it is to qualify as a conversion. Professionally converted in my mind means that a professional has provided 4 of the 6 items above, not that a professional has brought it to the final vision he/she has for the bus.

A place to sleep can mean a lot of things, a way to cook can also mean a lot of things, a water supply can mean a lot of things, I am pretty sure all buses/vehicles have at least heat, Self contained toilet can be satisfied by a lot of things, an ice box is a container with one compartment for ice that also allows for storage of food.
My Facebook Blog: https://www.facebook.com/sliceoflifeRv
missingTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Might be cheaper to just register it as a truck, non-commercial vehicle.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:21 PM   #4
r_w
Skoolie

The "party bus" crowd has ruined the party for the rest of us.

Check into the registering as a non-commercial or farm truck. Usually even cheaper than RV tags. You can't do that with a skoolie most places.
r_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:23 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

Bus conversions in Michigan require the stuff MissingTexas mentioned but don't require an inspection. You just sign an affidavit saying the modifications were made. I signed my affidavit on the second day after I bought ours.