Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2009, 08:34 PM   #61
Almost There

Re: Fortifiying Your Bus Against Intruders Or Attack?

Hi all, been reading and lurking for a while now, found this thread and thought I could add a little info you might find useful. My cousin was involved in
the vinyl stick on decal business and talked of a material that he was selling to the trucking industry, It was so tough that he was testing it for bullet strength. And then launched a company to sell it to the military to bulletproof the humvies. I found this:http://www.armorsystemsint.com/aztik100.htm I could not access the server, don't know why....http://www.defensetech.org/archives/000756.html#at This is where I found info on it.
Really enjoy this site and all the stories. Gathering lots of questions and making plans.

Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:40 PM   #62
Almost There

Ok I feel really dumb here, I missed the whole middle of this thread, you guys of course know all there is to know about this stuff so I will go back to lurking now and keep quiet.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:38 AM   #63
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.2 liter diesel
Rated Cap: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug
Ok I feel really dumb here, I missed the whole middle of this thread, you guys of course know all there is to know about this stuff so I will go back to lurking now and keep quiet.
Hah!! You read the thread to the bottom of the page and didn't notice there were 83 more pages of posts!!

I think we've all done that a million times. I sure have. No reason to feel dumb!

-Ray
Old 10-28-2009, 05:46 AM   #64
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug
Ok I feel really dumb here, I missed the whole middle of this thread...
You aren't the first, nor will you be the last.
Quote:
...so I will go back to lurking now and keep quiet.
Too late, you've already relinquished your wallflower status, so just jump in and have fun!
Old 10-29-2009, 11:37 AM   #65
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguy67
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophieshouse
If at any point i feel like im in an area where i have to fear for my life , im just gonna keep on truckin.
This one sentence is probably the easiest, cheapest, and best advice of all. A Mossberg 500 is still a handy item to have around though. Sometimes they just won't let you walk away from a fight.
Who, the zombies? fuckers..
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:16 AM   #66
Almost There

Ok, how about this stuff for making glass unbreakable?
http://www.wintecusa.com/index.html
Old 05-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #67
Bus Nut

I kinda want a Roo Catcher* (Bull Guard here in the States, I think) built onto the front of my bus. In case I ever have to shove something out of the way (...like a WALL), but that's more like SHTF And Everybody Went NUTS stuff than anything else.

Bullet proof glass, heavy and expensive. Looked into the Lexan as an alternative since that stuff is strong and lighter weight than glass. But then my information might be out of date so don't hold me to it.

I have plans for a modified WW1 era flame thrower but that more than likely won't work for anything but novelty stuff ("Hey, dude, check this out! Hold my beer!" <-- Famous Last Words) and weed control/clearing land. It can switch from Gasoline to Water depending on which tank I'm using.

I'll have a very large dog at some point, but I think we all know that the Gentle Giants tend to be couch 'taters than attack critters. Pita was an attack cat. Just to cover me arse**, I'm gonna sign up the bus with "DANGER: BEWARE OF DOG" at any rate.

If I'm home I should be considered a deadly weapon, especially if you're interrupting my studies or painting.

If I ain't home, well, I do intend on having a security system on a battery backup. Because...
My, uh, my store was broken into the other day. They cut the power and the SecSys wasn't on the battery bank like it was supposed to be. Nothing's been taken but they did break our door. And I know how they did it, too, just not the who or why yet. The Police squad here didn't even fingerprint the breakerbox or the fuses for next door that were yanked out.

But if anyone REALLY TRULY BADLY wants in, they're gonna figure out a way in.
I intend on never keeping anything worthwhile anyhow.

*I've been studying Australian Culture for grins and giggles.
**Just blame my Mate, Alan, for that one. He's a Limey.

Dog is my copilot. As I have no dog, I have no flight plan.

"If all porkchops were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs!" -Steven Universe
Das Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #68
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Mel
... My, uh, my store was broken into the other day. They cut the power and the SecSys wasn't on the battery bank like it was supposed to be. Nothing's been taken but they did break our door. And I know how they did it, too, just not the who or why yet. The Police squad here didn't even fingerprint the breakerbox or the fuses for next door that were yanked out...
Great. Nice to see that the Socorro cops are just like the cops in Whitwell... and Westminster. Is the security system back on battery backup?
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #69
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Is the security system back on battery backup?
Not yet, no. My DM is having trouble with our LP guy (...he REALLY doesn't like her, it seems), and he won't return her calls. He seems to like US well enough, just not her. If all else fails I'll figure out how to do it myself. I'm the resident IT person* for the store anyhow (HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?!).

*And Handyman. And plumber. Electrician when we KNOW I shouldn't be. And Muscle. And Bouncer/Security. And Physician. And Mechanic. Cell Phone Person. Bird-chaser. Grammar Nazi. Yeller of Whining Children. Yeller of Whiny Adults. Sign Language interpreter. What the heck, man? Leave me alone, I don't wanna be all this stuff.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #70
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

A medium to large sized barking dog is usually enough to deter someone from entering your motorhome.

Thieves do not want to attract attention to their deeds.

If you have no dogs, keep a pump action shotgun handy. The sound of cocking it is a sound that all people know.

Of course, you have no chance against some military or police invasion. But that is unlikely to happen.

Some people talk about Zombies. I don't know what Zombies are except from what I have seen in some movies. What I would like to know is if Zombies are real or could become real.

Somebody please explain if Zombies are real or just some made up hogwash.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #71
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordion
... Somebody please explain if Zombies are real or just some made up hogwash...
"Zombies" are real. Unfortunately getting the initial dose of poison correct is the tricky part. Also you have to have a good steady supply of "toadies" (a small mildly toxic puffer fish common in FL , Bahamas, Haiti, etc) available for the poison (dried liver & skin, ground to a fine powder). The person who is poisoned will go into a coma (if they survive the first 24 hours) and the poison will inhibit the diaphragm slowing or stopping breathing. This often mimics death. Except if the silly fool stops breathing at which point you have to go look for another victim. The victim is buried (without embalming) and later dug up while the rest of family morns the death of the family member and fights over who gets what. To keep the victim in the "zombie" trance involves small doses of the puffer fish powder given daily. When you get tired of having the zombie slave to do all your bidding, you stop giving them the powder and they wander off with no memories of their zombie time... and you go find another stud-muffin to turn into a zombie to do all your bidding. "Zombies" are very malleable and will do as they are told and never complain.

The illness associated with puffer fish is known as a saxitoxin. The early symptoms that arrive within 30 minutes to three hours of the meal include: Paresthesia (abnormal tingling or burning of the skin or extremities); Numbness/burning around mouth and fingertips; Ataxia (loss of muscular coordination); Giddiness/staggering; Drowsiness; Dry throat and skin; Aphasia (loss of speech or speech comprehension); Incoherence; Rash; Fever; and/or Nausea/vomiting/diarrhea. In severe cases saxitoxin can lead to possible respiratory paralysis and/or death within 24 hours. According to the FL Fish and Wildlife Research Institute, saxitoxin is 160,000 times more powerful than cocaine. As of 2004: Rule No. CH 68B-3.007, F.A.C. prohibits all harvest of puffer fish from Volusia, Brevard, Indian River, St. Lucie and Martin counties (Florida).

This is all common knowledge in any community that has voodoo practitioners.

David likes toadies and knows how to clean them... turn them inside out... it's the only fish he ever cleaned since we have a "you catch 'em - you clean 'em" rule when it comes to fishing. We used to catch them in the Indian River all the time when we lived in st. Lucie & Martin counties. I don't go fishing anymore since I got tired of catching ALL the fish, cleaning ALL the fish, cooking ALL the fish, cleaning up the fishy pans & plates and David simply ATE the fish! I do not eat toadies, which taste like fishy chicken.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #72
Bus Crazy

So, Lorna

What I am understanding is that Zombies are people that have been drugged with Puffer fish poison. They then are being to be able to be made to do things that their possessors wish them to do.

Weird.

I thought that Zombies were the UNDEAD. Totally stuff from fictional movies and books.

Why are many people worried about Zombie attacks in the future?

I understood what you wrote, but I do not see the viability of a ZOMBIE ATTACK happening.

Please enlighten me on whatever else you may know about this subject.

I think that a 12 gauge shotgun would stop a body (Zombie or not) dead in it's tracks.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #73
Bus Geek

I don't get the zombie crap one of my daughters keeps talking about (obviously from B &, C, &D movies and crappy books) I only know about the zombies in voodoo culture. She keeps telling me that zombies are made from eating brains. Silly girl. I don't care if she has a BA in Business... Zombie are made from toadies. I don't know where Hollyweird gets their information.

As far as intruders. We have a wireless security system... with a really loud siren.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #74
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
She keeps telling me that zombies are made from eating brains.
Spongy, kinda bland, picks up the flavours of whatever you put on it. Kinda like tofu, really.

But like Mum said, the only real 'Zombies' out there are the Haitian ones, which are the ones she described earlier. Hollywood and popular novelists get quite a bit information wrong.

We're not discussing vampires. Just NO. Stab me in the eye with a plastic spork.

...let's get this thread back on track, shall we?

While I would like a 12-guage shotgun, I've actually shot one (or mayhaps that was the 4-10) and it put a nasty bruise on me. I did enjoy shooting the 30.30 Winchester-Remington, I think that might was an antique, though. I'm rinky-dink enough I'd be more likely to hurt myself than the broad side of a barn, even though I can shoot well. I do stay well armed (two knives, a Gerber all-in-one a kinda friend gave me, and a 38" pocket chain saw and a whole lotta rage) but it doesn't much matter if someone better at hand-to-hand combat comes after me and you never bring a knife to a gunfight.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:26 AM   #75
Bus Crazy

If you ever shoot a three and a half inch turkey load out of a 12 gauge, you will feel as if somebody punched you in the shoulder as hard as they could.

I once shot two slug shells out of a 10 gauge shotgun. I was bruised for two days.

Shotguns pack a mean wallop both on the receiving end and the the butt of the gun.

A 2 1/2 inch 00 buck shell has 9 pellets that are the size of 357 bullets.

That's some powerful stuff.

What I would like is a Phaser that Captain Kirk used to use on that Star Trek show.

And, by the way, aren't we supposed to have flying cars and laser guns by now?
Old 05-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #76
Bus Nut

Quote:
What I would like is a Phaser that Captain Kirk used to use on that Star Trek show.
Taser gun. Not allowed for a TN Resident unless you were shot by one by a member of law enforcement. I took a class and asked. Apparently I scared my instructor.

Quote:
And, by the way, aren't we supposed to have flying cars and laser guns by now?
We do, they're just not available to plebeians like us. Some wonderfully looney-genius Swedish dude come up with the working jetpack. Guy in Cali, I think, came up with the hover car. And you can modify certain lasers to cause damage if you know what you're doing (of which I do not, I'm more a metal baseball bat kinda person).

Old 05-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #77
Bus Crazy

thjakits,

A pump action five shot shotgun is was what I was talking of.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #78
Bus Geek

pretty much it's summed like this....bus is locked...cool

If "they" want to shoot or blow it up....well ....your.........-----d!

So stay inside with bus locked, if some cranked up crack head wants in the bus you have two options
1) stay
2)leave

fire up the bus and stow crap to move; 3 minutes max for emergency bug out period.(you need air to build up)

At this point you are "retreating" if said threat breaks into the bus and can actually get into something 5 ft off the ground before you can move....then defend your life...period

this is not a castle with 20 foot tall walls made out of 4 ft thick rock walls.

It is a Residential Vehicle....leave the area as you defend your family.

you have the means to retreat...use them

While all of this is going on and we still live in a "civil" land then 911 should be called as you start your bug out...you and or your family is being threatened, do not grab a weapon and chase after that threat! you have become the threat at that point...you will go to jail or die
oh!!!
now if this pertains to zombies......well the rules change....you got'sta go Ninja and take off the heads!!!!

so a sickle, ninja sword, Nordic sword....chainsaw...well you get the idea......

Remember leave bad situations behind you....when the behind catches up......defend yours as you see fit
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #79
Bus Crazy

I lived on the streets of Los Angeles and Seattle. I never worried about being assaulted. Why? I have always had dogs. A doberman in Los angeles and Seattle. Two 60 lb dogs now.

Also, I live in the boonies where there is no trouble. I am also moving to another place that has no trouble.

I think that if you claim that your bus/motorhome is indeed where you live, You are allowed to have home protection.

My dogs are my protection. Plus, a perp cannot enter my bus even if they were to break out the window of my back door. The front door would be impossible to enter through because of the platform that I have up there.

Another device that is effective is a can of hornet spray which throws a 20 foot stream.

I still do not know what Zombies are. Are they real? Are they crazed human beings that are looking to rape and pillage?

This thread seems to be bringing out the gloom and doom in some of us.

I guess there is a fine line between Paranoia and Preparedness.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #80
Bus Geek

mmmmm....are Zombies real?

I think they could be in the future; to give a "title" or name to people that are "sick" and try to do harm to others by delusional violence that doesn't make sense
i.e.: eating people, leprosy and such atrocities

I don't really know; the movies have pumped up the concept of Zombies and I don't think that concept is real

if a biological agent was used somehow...then the mind could be altered just like some drugs alter the mind and can give grand illusions of how your life should be...hence breaking into a Skoolie for supplies and refuge

so once again, if it's a Zombie....cut it's head off
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote