Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2020, 04:51 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Frame & tank mounting?

Hello All,

I received my grey tank (100 gallon) today and will be mounting under the bus.

I am considering mounting options and looking at existing holes in the frame. There are available holes spaced along the frame rails. See pic.

Between 1 and 3 holes are open at each location. There are holes spaced in such a way that I will have mounts at each end and in the middle.

I am thinking of bolting (grade 5+) flat stock to the sides of the frame rails to hang the tank cage.

What do you all think?
Attached Thumbnails
chassis 005sm.jpg  

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:01 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Makes sense to me. I'd be doing the same thing except the cage for my fuel tank is in the way, so I'm going to weld a piece of angle steel onto the cage to support the in side of the gray water tank.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:22 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
How long is the tank?
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:24 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
How long is the tank?
The tank is 50"x26"x18".

The 26" width fits between the frame rails. The 50" length puts mounting points on the frame a roughly 0", 30" and 50"
Old 04-28-2020, 06:28 PM   #5
Bus Geek

I am so glad that I bought a bus with almost zero rust.
Old 04-28-2020, 06:39 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Are you going to add support across the bottom and abrasion resistant
material to the sides? IDK if you need it, but the poly propylene tanks I got bulge a bit. I used 16 gauge steel across the bottom of a 35 gallon tank and that helped, but probably could have been a bit more.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:13 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Are you going to add support across the bottom and abrasion resistant
material to the sides? IDK if you need it, but the poly propylene tanks I got bulge a bit. I used 16 gauge steel across the bottom of a 35 gallon tank and that helped, but probably could have been a bit more.
The tank will be nestled between my baggage bays so the sides of the tank are protected.

The bottom will be supported by a "ladder" sort of structure with the cross pieces made from 1" square tube spaced about every 12".

The tank will not be the lowest item under the bus. There are plenty of bus parts that will drag before the tank.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:07 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
The tank will be nestled between my baggage bays so the sides of the tank are protected.

The bottom will be supported by a "ladder" sort of structure with the cross pieces made from 1" square tube spaced about every 12".

The tank will not be the lowest item under the bus. There are plenty of bus parts that will drag before the tank.
Post some pics when you get it mounted
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:05 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: S-1800
Engine: NAVSTAR DT 466
Rated Cap: 49
Steve,
I’m trying to decide how to attach my gray and fresh tanks. How did you end up doing it? Pics will be appreciated. I’ve got welding stuff but dang- it’s hot- and I think straps and self tapping screws and bolts will be adequate. I’m about to weld up some angle iron, but I’d like something less permanent if I change floor plan or the tank fails.
Thanks in advance.
YankeeDespot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:13 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
I wouldn't trust self tapping screws personally. Maybe Blindbolts though. I had similar thoughts as you, a temporary mounting of the tank until I could do something more permanent. That was 2 years ago. We mounted the gray tank in our luggage bay using cargo straps. The strap goes up through the floor of the bus and loops around the lip on top of the tank, the tank hangs from the strap.
Attached Thumbnails
gray tank.png  
Old 07-08-2020, 11:16 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
I wouldn't trust self tapping screws personally. Maybe Blindbolts though. I had similar thoughts as you, a temporary mounting of the tank until I could do something more permanent. That was 2 years ago. We mounted the gray tank in our luggage bay using cargo straps. The strap goes up through the floor of the bus and loops around the lip on top of the tank, the tank hangs from the strap.
Nice, this seems like the simplest and easiest way to mount a tank.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:26 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International 3800
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
What's the rust situation looking like on the ratchets? Course, it is not a long term solution then sounds for sure an easy way to go.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:59 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

I could see myself doing the same thing with a “temporary” solution. But if it works, so what? I’ve drilled a lot of holes in my bus floor and am trying to avoid it. I’m thinking that I can use the metal joists that run side to side. I’ll look tomorrow for the metal strapping at Home Depot. I’m thinking if I use 4 straps for each tank there should be adequate support. I’m also going to look at quality ratchet straps, because I love the simplicity and ease of removal of that option. I’ll post whatever I end up doing. This seems to be an important topic that doesn’t get much ink.

Thanks to all for your input. It’s really made this project a lot more fun.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:38 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sraycwb View Post
What's the rust situation looking like on the ratchets? Course, it is not a long term solution then sounds for sure an easy way to go.
The ratchets are inside the bus so no rust, and the rest of the setup is in a luggage box so no problems with the elements.

I also put some heavy duty ratchet straps under the luggage bay that the batteries are in, just because they were on sale at Harbor Freight and I didn't know how the luggage bay would hold up on the road with 500 lbs of lead in it. They're more of a redundancy than they are functional. Those straps still look good after 18 months of road grime and exposure to the elements.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:44 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeDespot View Post
I知 thinking that I can use the metal joists that run side to side. I値l look tomorrow for the metal strapping at Home Depot. I知 thinking if I use 4 straps for each tank there should be adequate support. I知 also going to look at quality ratchet straps, because I love the simplicity and ease of removal of that option.

I did something similar with our luggage bay that holds the batteries...put a couple bolts through the joists and bolted the ratchet straps on. This was a failsafe in case the welds broke or some other catastrophic failure happened.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:23 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

More ratchet straps for holding tanks

I broke out the plasma cutter and welder and made frames for the tanks, and bought some cheap straps at Home Depot that are rated 500 lbs each.
I知 sure that this will have plenty of strength, and if the need to be replaced even every years it痴 no biggie. I got free used tanks and the gray tank is threatening self destruction anyway.
I値l need to add something (probably more straps- I知 liking this as a solo worker) to minimize fore/ aft movement.
The straps I got have too long a lead (the Husky brand at $10 for 4) so had to run the hook through the ratchet. I hope to not be in many situations where I値l need to travel with a full gray tank anyway.
I知 using a compost toilet, so no back tank. The fresh water tank will be right behind the gray tank, with room for fresh water pump, and perhaps 6 gallon water heater.

Anyway, it was great the have the straps working alone. It値l help getting all the plumbing done with the tanks loose.
Only bad part was I set my sock on fire welding, and got a nasty burn on my left ankle.
Attached Thumbnails
CFBDDCD5-957D-4AB4-B432-C68647960A89.jpg   E4075950-D8EE-42BA-BC69-DD04C522C04A.jpg   98163F8A-48B0-414F-B07C-564957ABB922.jpg