Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2020, 01:32 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 30
Fresh and grey water tank access

So....how accessible do I need the grey and fresh water tanks to be? I don’t have a rear door but wanted to put them under the bed. There will be no black water tank. I plan to put in a dry flush toilet.

Totally ahead of myself here but I’m sitting around waiting for one of my helpers so I figured I’d ask as I ponder floor plans.

Thanks!!

witchywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:59 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
if you do a good job plumbing, your tanks don't need to be accessible at all. just fill and drain plumbing need to be accessible.

gray waste tanks usually go under the vehicle, but you can put them anywhere you want.

mount a fill hole for your tank outside, and plumb your waste to come out the bottom.

if you do a gray tank, there is really no good reason to avoid a black tank. dumping any waste on the ground is usually illegal. so if you legally dump your gray tank at a dump facilities, why would you avoid dumping all your waste?
Old 07-15-2020, 04:07 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 30
Thanks! I’m not necessarily avoiding a black water tank. I just like the dry flush toilets. I crawled around under the bus today and there is only one spot that may work for mounting a tank. There is a ton of stuff already under there. Luckily I have some time to figure it out.
witchywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:20 PM   #4
Almost There

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas 4-Window
Chassis: 2003 Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 6
Remember, sh*t rolls downhill. That applies to grey water, too. If the grey tank is at the back of the bus (which usually sits a little bit higher), you'll have a challenge getting your sink and shower to gravity-drain to that tank. Of course, you can put a small trash pump in the line, but that just makes the whole system more complex than necessary. Put the fresh water under the bed, grey under the bus (even if that means plumbing two smaller tanks in different locations). Also, if you have a tall bus, consider odd-shaped tanks. You can get a "flat-ish" tank and stand it up on it's side to use less real estate.
FatBoySTL is offline   Reply With Quote