Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2020, 09:03 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas International
Chassis: S1700
Front door lock ideas

Hey all-

Trying to wrap my head around the best way to secure our front door on our '89 Thomas. It has an old style manual door that swings open two-ways. Pics below. We want to keep the mechanism on the inside to keep the feel of the bus, so we need a way to lock it from the outside without totally engaging the locking mechanism on the handle. Tall order, I know.

I have gone back and forth on various ideas, and have landed on two I think might work, but would like some thoughts/preferences/"hey, I did this..." from the community out there.

IDEA #1:

Steel hasp with padlock, as pictured in first photo. This seemed to be the simplest and easiest way to lock when we are away from the bus. I would lock the padlock to the open hasp when we are around/sleeping, to prevent someone from locking us in. This idea requires no welding, no cutting down of the hasp, but maybe lacks the "look" I'd like.

IDEA #2:

I like the look of this one better, but the dimensions of these type of hasps and puck locks are much bigger than my area I have to install it will allow. Has anyone ever cut these down to be slimmer in height, but keep the width, and then weld onto said thing you want to lock?

Last two pics are our inside opening mechanism for door we want to keep and the outside of the doors. Middle bar area between top and bottom windows is about 2 1/2 inches. My idea was to cut the hidden puck lock hasp down so it would fit on that metal of the door nicely and weld it to the door. It would then get dressed up and painted nice once we reach that stage.

Any thoughts are appreciated and welcome.

Cheers!

-David
Attached Thumbnails
71RN+m69FXL._AC_SL1000_.jpg   61Fnn2oYR+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg   51GYN3YfMPL._AC_SL1000_.jpg   IMG_9236.jpg   IMG_3340.jpg  

spenceadventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:45 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
I like the elegance (and pry resistance!) of the Paclock.
Pricey with the hasp but worth it...
They make smaller hasps if you look on their website...

The issue for you would be I don't think you can lock it open if you're worried about being locked in...

Unless I'm mistaken the puck come completely off when unlocked leaving the hasp exposed to pranksters...

You should always have multiple ways out of your bus for emergency anyways...

I know I'm pretty paranoid -- but how many stories of skoolies being locked into their buses are there really?

Now it's a question of would my paranoia keep me awake at night...?

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:50 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Well obviously you got me thinking -- thanks!

This hasp says the lock can stay in place so the only question is "is it locked open?" or can if fall off while driving or be removed while unlocked?

https://www.paclock.com/product-line/pl810-hasp/

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:04 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Is people getting locked inside their own skoolies a common thing? Seems a bit fanciful to be worrying about that. As others have said, you probably want to have an alternative way out of the bus anyway.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:51 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I had been taking a look at their site, PACLOCK, and really like the look of some of their locks. And, yes, I saw that it can be set to stay on the hasp when unlocked. That would be my thing, will it fall off when driving? I also like the elegance of the PACLOCK, kind of leaning that way. First step would be to buy one and start trying to cut it down to size. DIY to the rescue, maybe......

We will still have access to get out of the back door of the bus, should any funny people decided to try and "lock" us in, no matter the style of locking we use. I can't say I am not paranoid, but the whole idea of people running around and then trying to lock you inside, seems far fetched. Like it happened one time, somewhere to someone, and now it is a thing to worry about. A lot of various elements have to happen for that to even be a reality.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:54 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

We have a deadbolt similar to this one installed already on the back door:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00BAFIU...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Simple elegant solution that I wish I could replicate for the front doors.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:57 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
I was reading up on pac locks puck lock for securing my doors. The puck has threaded holes so that it can be bolted to one side of the hasp so it would not be lost while driving. I was thinking of getting a second puck and hasp and using it to secure the interior at night when sleeping in the bus. A single puc could be used for either interior or exterior hasp but I like the idea of having the puck attached to the hasp so that you don't have to fumble with it when locking the door or worry about loosing it. I think for my doors I will cut down the hasp so they are a little narrower and then weld them to some 4 inch by 1/4 inch bar stock. I could then sandwich the doors between the 1/4 inch bar stock and secure them with either carrage bolts or by cutting the heads off grade 8 bolts and welding them to the exterior bar stock and putting nuts on the interior.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote