Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2022, 05:11 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Chassis: International RE300
Engine: DT466E, Allison 5 speed
Front mount spare

Curious if anyone has mounted their spares on the front of their bus ?
Custom bumper mounts?
Pictures appreciated.

BuffaloBink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:51 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBink View Post
Curious if anyone has mounted their spares on the front of their bus ?
Custom bumper mounts?
Pictures appreciated.
We'd be interested in that as well. We're wanting a DOUBLE SPARE setup on the nose. We figure they'd make a decent "Moose denter" when we go to Alaska and hopefully save the windshield in such an event. And, you never know if these big ole tires are gonna be available in the middle of nowhere where we want to go exploring.
We're thinking two 2" receiver hitch (bolt ons and two to minimize rocking) behind the bumper with the insert part standing the base out a bit where it's then hinged. Then a few bolts (I hate bouncy spare carriers) to secure to an upper bracket below the windshield. A pull up extension centered on the apparatus that pulls up and is pinned then used to raise and lower the spares using an appropriate hand or powered winch. I'm thinking a boat style winch via a single pulley to reduce load by 1/2.
We're a long way from that point so the design is basically only in my head and of general concept.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:29 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
I would love to haul one up there, but my headlights are below the bumper and I fear the middle area would block too much flow to my radiator and intercooler.

I do have a solid plan for a firetruck style front winch bumper. My latest idea is to relocate the headlights to my wiper doors which would put them at the Florida legal 54" above the ground. For now, I have tabled the headlight idea until I'm sure I'll haul a kids dirtbike up front..
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:20 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Michael Corbier
Chassis: GMC Savana 3500
Engine: 6.5 Diesel
I am considering a front hitch. I browsed a sight that had different models of spare tire racks that connect to a hitch.
Old 08-03-2022, 09:24 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbi View Post
I am considering a front hitch. I browsed a sight that had different models of spare tire racks that connect to a hitch.

The problem I see with mounting to a front hitch are several

1) There is slop in the hitch to hitch receiver which means bouncing
2) Our tires aren't light by any means. A 22.5 Bridgestone is about 120 pounds and an aluminum 22.5 bus rim is about 51 pounds. So figure 170-180 pounds, on the end of an arm long enough to pick it up above the hitch, AND a pivot to lower it down.

Was this site offering spare tire racks for BUS sized tires or you were just getting the idea from them? I ask because we wanted TWO up from as a big Moose thumper but two mounted tires are wider than the damn bus!!! So we would like ONE up there since there are currently NO SPARES on board.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 08-03-2022, 10:42 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
tire up front

I am near maximum front axle weight. I dont think it would be good for me to carry a tire/rim up front at all. 1994 TC2000 11,000 lbs front axle, only 5,800 lbs rear axle.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 10:58 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
I believe many rear engine buses have two long studs under the front floor area for a spare tire to be carried beneath the bus. Mine did and I was going to carry a spare there.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:41 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
I am near maximum front axle weight. I dont think it would be good for me to carry a tire/rim up front at all. 1994 TC2000 11,000 lbs front axle, only 5,800 lbs rear axle.

william

What are your axle and gross ratings?

That sounds like you have a serious potential for oversteer not to mention not having enough traction in the rear.
Is everything up front?
Old 08-03-2022, 11:43 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus'n it View Post
I believe many rear engine buses have two long studs under the front floor area for a spare tire to be carried beneath the bus. Mine did and I was going to carry a spare there.

I'll be looking for those next time I'm under the front end. My concern with an undermount though is getting it out should I blow a tire. I don't want to be under a jacked up bus so I'd have to put down dunnage (haven't found a stout enough jack stand at a price I'm willing to pay).

Plus with a desire to see Alaska, I'd really like something tough enough to absorbe a bunch of Moose before it gets to me.
Old 08-04-2022, 01:01 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Hamskoolie oversteer

yea, down hill 5% grade in the wet not fun at all....... not much in the bus and just not much to add any weight to the rear... 26500 rating on the bus. I have pretty much maximum weight on the front and space for 10,000 on the rear axle.... the plan is to remove the front 35 gallon tank and put a 90 gallon tank behind the rear axle. water tank, black tank behind the axle. I am considering a 500 lb 6,000 watt diesel onan generator behind the axle..... I figure the teter totter effect of weight behind the axle will reduce the load on the front...in addition to removing that side mount 35 gallon tank and the side crash bars that go with it. I am thinking about alloy budd wheels for the front but that wont really do much.... but hey 100lbs off the front is 100 lbs off the front

pretty easy to lock the rears in the wet.... I dont think ice snow will be a bright idea for a while.

there is even a lump of steel bolted just in front of the rear bumper that I bet weighs 400-500 lbs......so there is the generator weight right there.....I wont suffer if I added four to eight deep cycle lead acid batteries back there....then the 3600 watt inverter......

william
Old 08-04-2022, 01:40 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
.... the plan is to remove the front 35 gallon tank and put a 90 gallon tank behind the rear axle. water tank, black tank behind the axle. I am considering a 500 lb 6,000 watt diesel onan generator behind the axle..... I figure the teter totter effect of weight behind the axle will reduce the load on the front...in addition to removing that side mount 35 gallon tank and the side crash bars that go with it. I am thinking about alloy budd wheels for the front but that wont really do much.... but hey 100lbs off the front is 100 lbs off the front

william

Are you familiar with weight and balance calculations? We use math and weights to calculate changes in weight and balance (front to rear, left to right sometimes) what will be the new weight an balance...and then we do actually weigh them on a schedule but in the interim we use the math. We also use it on every flight to ensure we are not over weight or out of front to rear balance (but you can apply it to a car or a bus as well).
You might leave that tank and do come estimating. 100 gallons of water at 8.345 pounds per gallon is 835 pounds plus the tank and stuff. depending on how far behind the rear axle you put it that will take weight off the front which you already understand.

So if you can estimate the weights of what you're putting in, even just a close guess, you might find that when it's built up, your front axle is just fine and the rear has a lot more bite.
You might even be able to keep that 35 gallon tank in place and use it as an aux tank or a dedicated tank for a diesel heater.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:54 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Funny about the weight and balance

I have had a lifelong passion for flying. I get 10.5 to 12.5 miles to gallon now - 545 transmission. When I change to 2000 series, I expect to gain 2mpg. A 90 gallon tank should do me fine. Even with a webasto coolant heat and a diesel generator. I plan on that open space for storage. My mental image is to put all the heavier gear behind the rear axle. Right now I have so much available to me for weight back there I am not to concerned with limits on the rear. I think that limp of steel plates will even swap most of the generator.

I am even thinking about converting to air suspension later. But I have way too much else to do for now. I will have to brush up on force diagrams for the long haired math.

William
Old 08-04-2022, 04:59 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I have had a lifelong passion for flying.
William
Same here. I remember being 5 and watching the airliners flying low over our apartment in San Leandro. They must have been on final.
When I retired we moved to Oregon and bought a house on 40 acres with a 3000 runway through the middle, shared with 7 other properties, AND NO HOA.
I was not left with sufficient assets to keep it after the divorce.
Quote:
But I have way too much else to do for now. I will have to brush up on force diagrams for the long haired math.
William
Oh these days I'm sure there's an APP for your phone or a website. Only problem might be that we have four wheels instead of three. Just put the hole front axle down as the nose gear and try to get the rears weighed separately or just split the weight for the inputs.