Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2020, 06:35 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Blueburd
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: 9.0L International Diesel NA
Front sign, destination sign repair

Hi skoolie people.

So I need to rehab and remove my front school bus sign "window." The plan is to install a programmable ticket tape style sign for the front and rear destination windows.

Couple of questions...

I cannot figure out how to pop the yellow plexiglass pane out of the rubber gasket. Suggestions?

I cannot seem to find any replacement gaskets for this area as well. It's a bluebird body, 1986.

Also anyone want to share how they framed out the front area for new insulation and cabinets/ or access to the back side of the lights and such?

Rochey6957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:07 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Welcome to skoolie.net. If you click on User CP in the upper left, you can fill out your details and then everybody will know where you're at and what kind of bus you have - which is relevant to the issue of how to demo your school bus sign (and most other issues as well).

If you have the same type of school bus sign as me, you need to dig an opening somewhere on the gasket with the utility knife, then grab one side of the cut with a pair of pliers and twist. This should be enough to get the gasket started out, then you can pull it out all the way around easily. This is also a handy trick if you ever want to break into a bus via the rear windows, which are usually gasketed the same way.

I don't know where you'd find an exact replacement gasket for this or how you'd reinstall it, but if you're doing a ticker tape kind of thing you might just want to start from scratch anyway.

I'm dealing with the weirdness of trying to frame and insulate the cab by building an insulated bulkhead wall behind the driver's seat, so the cab area will not be part of my living space and I can leave it pretty much as it is (other than fixing the big holes in the floor there right now). This will give me better insulation and I will also be able to lock up my living area separately, for if I ever have to leave the bus for a while at a mechanic shop.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:07 PM   #3
Skoolie

My rear windows are installed with a locking style gasket.

But see the photos of my destination window. I'd like to find a replacement gasket before I rip the old one out. The OEM gasket has shrunk and is gappy at the bottom. Therefore it is trash to me. I want to replace the yellow with a clear plexi window.

http://imgur.com/gallery/4v9eqQ6

Old 04-22-2020, 04:43 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I hope you or somebody can locate the gasket material for this. I think the same gasket material is used for the back windows, that might help the search. I deleted my school bus signs and riveted sheet over the openings, but I saved one of the pieces of plexiglass (I broke the other one attempting to smash it out before figuring out cutting the gasket) and I sort of want to incorporate it into an internal metal door. That gasket would of course be perfect for this.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:48 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: 35' Phantom
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Cummins 280Hp
If you are able to salvage enough of a piece to get measurements from you may be able to match it up with something available from here...
https://www.steelerubber.com/
me2someday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:20 AM   #6
Skoolie

Slight change of plans.... Girlfriend and I decided we are just going to do a lightbox type of thing up front. Use some led lighting to illuminate a millk colored plexiglass lens with the bus name painted on it. I still need to replace the gasket....

The rear will still get a tickertape.